This kid is fat (according to the City of New York)

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
williamsnew.jpg

This kid is fat (according to the City of New York) | New York Post

Gwendolyn Williams is a pencil-thin, bubbly 9-year-old who is a perfectly healthy third-grader.
But according to city bureaucrats, she’s practically obese.

“I was like, ‘Oh, my God! Why did I get this?’” the Staten Island kid recalled Thursday after getting a Department of Education-issued “Fitnessgram” that described her Body Mass Index as “overweight.”

“I’m 4-foot-1, and 66 pounds, and I’m like, what?!” Gwendolyn exclaimed of the school handout, which the city is sending home in the bookbags of 870,000 public school students, grades K through 12.

The kids, who were weighed and measured back in November, are told not to look.
But the Fitnessgrams are sealed with only a small, easily replaced round sticker — and peeking is rampant, parents complain, with devastating effects on kids’ self-esteem.

Gwendolyn’s mom, Laura Bruij Williams of Port Richmond, says she found out about her daughter’s Fitnessgram Wednesday night, as she was tucking the girl in for the night.

“She said, ‘Hey, Mom. The school told me I’m overweight.’ And then she started jiggling her thighs, and saying, ‘Is this what they mean?’”

“That was heartbreaking,” said the stay-at-home mom of two.
The next morning, Williams sought out Gwendolyn’s principal at PS 29.

“She was sympathetic, but said the kids weren’t supposed to open it. My response is, they’re kids. How can you believe they’re not going to open it?” Williams said.

“It’s a very positive thing for some kids who are overweight, but we shouldn’t be putting these assessments in the children’s hands,” the mom added.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets let the government take over and fill every aspect of our lives with bureaucrats. That way everything can really run efficiently.

Yes folks, this is political. Liberals are nothing more than a scourge on society. They are an absolute disaster.

They need to let the parents know that they are fat too

williamsnew.jpg

Gwendolyn Williams is a pencil-thin, bubbly 9-year-old who is a perfectly healthy third-grader.

“I was like, ‘Oh, my God! Why did I get this?’” the Staten Island kid recalled Thursday after getting a Department of Education-issued “Fitnessgram” that described her Body Mass Index as “overweight.”

“I’m 4-foot-1, and 66 pounds, and I’m like, what?!” Gwendolyn exclaimed of the school handout, which the city is sending home in the bookbags of 870,000 public school students, grades K through 12.

But the Fitnessgrams are sealed with only a small, easily replaced round sticker — and peeking is rampant, parents complain, with devastating effects on kids’ self-esteem.

Gwendolyn’s mom, Laura Bruij Williams of Port Richmond, says she found out about her daughter’s Fitnessgram Wednesday night, as she was tucking the girl in for the night.

“She said, ‘Hey, Mom. The school told me I’m overweight.’ And then she started jiggling her thighs, and saying, ‘Is this what they mean?’”

“She was sympathetic, but said the kids weren’t supposed to open it. My response is, they’re kids. How can you believe they’re not going to open it?” Williams said.

“It’s a very positive thing for some kids who are overweight, but we shouldn’t be putting these assessments in the children’s hands,” the mom added.

Lets let the government take over and fill every aspect of our lives with bureaucrats. That way everything can really run efficiently.

Yes folks, this is political. Liberals are nothing more than a scourge on society. They are an absolute disaster.

That is ridiculous. Someone has made a huge mistake, and parents need to question this. Telling a normal kid she is over weight at such a young age could lead to issues with self esteem and/or body image. It could lead to anorexia or bulimia. How on Earth could the city, could medical professionals, say this girl is over weight? :cuckoo:.

They need to let the parents know that they are fat too

I think most parents know when their kid is fat. The problem here is two fold. One many parents who's kids are overweight live in denial.
Two, this is more liberal bureaucratic bullshit. When a 49 inch tall kid weighing in at 66lbs is considered 'overweight' there is a serious problem.....With the system.
I would be willing to bet that of those 800,000 notices, fewer than half ever made it home.

Nothing wrong with kids finding out at an early age how stupid liberal policies are.

I saw Mika from the Morning Joe show commenting on this and complaining a bit about it.

I ended up screaming at the TV....
This is because of You you Bitch...but I used a stronger word.
Mika bitches everyday about weight and eating healthy and how she loves
the First Lady bitchin about what kids eat at school....

williamsnew.jpg

That is ridiculous. Someone has made a huge mistake,
and parents need to question this. Telling a normal kid she is over weight at such a young age could lead to issues with self esteem and/or body image. It could lead to anorexia or bulimia. How on Earth could the city, could medical professionals, say this girl is over weight? :cuckoo:.

Yes they have. Being stupid enough to live in New York.

williamsnew.jpg

Gosh, the NY Post gets it's wires crossed once again. This story is a lie.

williamsnew.jpg

Gosh, the NY Post gets it's wires crossed once again. This story is a lie.
Well until you PROVE it is a lie.. YOU ARE A LIAR for saying so!
I get so tired of idiots wanting ME to accept their statements as true! Geez grow up!
YOU remind of a a 9 year old girl saying "IS SO"!
WHY is it a LIE?

What is the point of giving the kids a Fitnessgram if they are not meant to look at it?

It was given to the kids but the envelope was sealed and the kids were instructed not to open it. They could have just mailed the info (snail mail or email) directly to the parents and avoided the entire scene. I call bullshit on this anyways, as the kid's ht/wt puts her bmi at 19. According to the 'rules', 25 and up is considered overweight.

My kids have gotten these. Not every year but on the years that the state requires physicals. They mail it home rather than giving it to the kids.

there needs to be a vote

is this kid too fat or not

after all we all have a say in this

since she belongs to the collective

Forum List

Back