This is what you get for practicing free speech.

There are people who will all too happily do everything they can to see you punished if they don't like what you say.

They cloak it with, "free speech has consequences", pretending that they have no choice but to see to it that you are punished. No choice. They are forced to do it. Which, of course, is the big lie. They are illiberal authoritarians. No doubt the person who "reported" you will be thrilled by this news.

That's where we are, and you should know that. Keep your mouth shut, watch what you say, when you say it, and to whom, or you will pay.

After all, this is America.
That's where we are, and you should know that. Keep your mouth shut, watch what you say, when you say it, and to whom, or you will pay.

In short, words matter. That they do isn't a function of this being America; it is a function of human nature.

Do not spend the day in gathering flowers by the wayside, lest night come upon you before you arrive at your journey's end, and then you will not reach it.
-- Isaac Watts, Logic: The Right Use of Reason in the Inquiry After Truth
Indeed, words matter.

And if I disagree with someone, I want to know who that person is, what they're thinking, and (perhaps most importantly) who agrees with them. I can't do that it they are afraid to speak out. I'm not afraid of words, because I have confidence in my ability to overcome them with reason.

I can't tell you why, but I can still picture in my mind, a hundred years ago, my grade school teacher standing in front of the blackboard, introducing us to the term "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." It struck me then, it's a part of me now. That will never change.
I can still picture in my mind, a hundred years ago, my grade school teacher standing in front of the blackboard, introducing us to the term "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

That aphorism seems to be a combination of statements from two authors (one was a woman writing under a gender-neutral pseudonym) of whom I'm aware:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- S.G. Tallentyre, The Friends of Voltaire

I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
-- Oscar Wilde

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." It struck me then, it's a part of me now. That will never change.

I take no exception with one's right to say what one wants. It's also fine with me that one exercise that right to one's abandon. The wisdom of one's doing so is, however, a wholly different matter. We are all and always free to say whatever we want; however, we are not free of the consequences attendant to saying whatever we want, whenever, wherever, and however it please us. When exercising one's right to free speech, one must be fine with there being consequences, imposed by non-governmental individuals and entities, for doing so.

I have no pity for adults who don't understand that subtle distinction; thus, in the precipitate of saying something imprudent, one will find no sympathetic quarter with me. Freedom of speech was never meant to absolve one of the onus to look before leaping, as it were.

It is the rare fortune of these days that one may think what one likes and say what one thinks.
-- Tacitus, Histories of Tacitus

There are people who will all too happily do everything they can to see you punished if they don't like what you say.

They cloak it with, "free speech has consequences", pretending that they have no choice but to see to it that you are punished. No choice. They are forced to do it. Which, of course, is the big lie. They are illiberal authoritarians. No doubt the person who "reported" you will be thrilled by this news.

In short, words matter. That they do isn't a function of this being America; it is a function of human nature.

Do not spend the day in gathering flowers by the wayside, lest night come upon you before you arrive at your journey's end, and then you will not reach it.
Indeed, words matter.

And if I disagree with someone, I want to know who that person is, what they're thinking, and (perhaps most importantly) who agrees with them. I can't do that it they are afraid to speak out. I'm not afraid of words, because I have confidence in my ability to overcome them with reason.

I can't tell you why, but I can still picture in my mind, a hundred years ago, my grade school teacher standing in front of the blackboard, introducing us to the term "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." It struck me then, it's a part of me now. That will never change.
I can still picture in my mind, a hundred years ago, my grade school teacher standing in front of the blackboard, introducing us to the term "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

That aphorism seems to be a combination of statements from two authors (one was a woman writing under a gender-neutral pseudonym) of whom I'm aware:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
-- Oscar Wilde

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." It struck me then, it's a part of me now. That will never change.

I take no exception with one's right to say what one wants. The wisdom of one's doing so is, however, a wholly different matter. We are all and always free to say whatever we want; however, we are not free of the consequences attendant to saying whatever we want, whenever, wherever, and however it please us.

I have no pity for adults who don't understand that subtle distinction; thus, in the precipitate of saying something imprudent, one will find no sympathetic quarter with me. Freedom of speech was never meant to absolve one of the onus to look before leaping, as it were.

It is the rare fortune of these days that one may think what one likes and say what one thinks.
Then we're back to Square One. I believe in allowing people to speak their mind. That will not change.

Indeed, words matter.

-- Oscar Wilde

I take no exception with one's right to say what one wants. The wisdom of one's doing so is, however, a wholly different matter. We are all and always free to say whatever we want; however, we are not free of the consequences attendant to saying whatever we want, whenever, wherever, and however it please us.

Then we're back to Square One. I believe in allowing people to speak their mind. That will not change.
Then we're back to Square One. I believe in allowing people to speak their mind.

??? Back to square one? I don't disagree with you. I have yet to say or suggest that I'd disallow one the ability or right to speak their mind.

Indeed, words matter.

-- Oscar Wilde

Yet you do not seem to believe that people should have the freedom to react to one speaking their mind.

What about the freedom of an employer to set their own standard of conduct if you wish to receive a paycheck from them?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I've said it before kids, and I'm going to say it again. If you're going to social media do /not/ do so with your real information - use a "fake" account, something that can't be traced back to you so easily. Employer's do look, and there will be consequences if you say or do anything that may or may not harm their "brand" these days. If ya'll haven't noticed people are fruit loops and they start hysterics over anything and everything, businesses are not going to entertain losses to "defend" your personal views and opinions, they're just going to can you and find someone less problematic; and that's regardless of if the boss agrees with you or doesn't give a shit about your opinion, it's simply not worth the risk to their bottom line.

I don't necessarily agree with the position, I'd like to think that folks can think whatever they want, regardless of if it's "socially acceptable" or not, but that's the way it is.

Use "anonymous" accounts for all your social media, political forums, etc. or you're just asking for trouble. :/

Indeed, words matter.

-- Oscar Wilde

Yet you do not seem to believe that people should have the freedom to react to one speaking their mind.

What about the freedom of an employer to set their own standard of conduct if you wish to receive a paycheck from them?

An employer has to do what is best for their company. If they're being threatened by people to damage their company, of if they exist in an environment where they feel their company is in danger, they have to act accordingly.

I see a clear distinction between expressing disagreement with someone and trying to shut that person down. It saddens me that so many choose not to acknowledge that distinction.

I've said it before kids, and I'm going to say it again. If you're going to social media do /not/ do so with your real information - use a "fake" account, something that can't be traced back to you so easily. Employer's do look, and there will be consequences if you say or do anything that may or may not harm their "brand" these days. If ya'll haven't noticed people are fruit loops and they start hysterics over anything and everything, businesses are not going to entertain losses to "defend" your personal views and opinions, they're just going to can you and find someone less problematic; and that's regardless of if the boss agrees with you or doesn't give a shit about your opinion, it's simply not worth the risk to their bottom line.

I don't necessarily agree with the position, I'd like to think that folks can think whatever they want, regardless of if it's "socially acceptable" or not, but that's the way it is.

Use "anonymous" accounts for all your social media, political forums, etc. or you're just asking for trouble. :/

Or just simply focus on being a better person rather than engineering better ways to be an asshole.
IOW, grow up.

Why were you FB friends with your boss?
no. A Customer of our company read the comment, linked back to my FB account, found out where I was working and emailed it to him.

I believe that you were unlawfully terminated--------however you should have been careful
in your language-------the elaboration of a WORLD WIDE CALIPHATE is an accepted
goal of islam------just as WORLDWIDE SALVATION thru Jesus is an accepted goal
of Christianity according to many scholars of those religions. Your big problem in bringing
a lawsuit is------paying experts and lawyers-----try some legal rights organizations

no. A Customer of our company read the comment, linked back to my FB account, found out where I was working and emailed it to him.

I believe that you were unlawfully terminated--------however you should have been careful
of Christianity according to many scholars of those religions. Your big problem in bringing
a lawsuit is------paying experts and lawyers-----try some legal rights organizations

I think he is lying..3 hours latter and FB didn't ban me.

Or just simply focus on being a better person rather than engineering better ways to be an asshole.
IOW, grow up.

People are going to think whatever they think, you cannot stop people from being "controversial" all you do is make them dig their heels in worse. If folks want to be assholes, let em.

IOW, stop trying to control others thoughts because you cannot.

As goes the legality of firing an employee working in the private sector, at-will employees can be fired for any reason and without notice. That means, as an extreme and highly unlikely example, that one's boss could decide s/he's tired of one always wearing black and fire one on the spot. Who in the private sector isn't an at-will employee? People who have employment contracts, which includes people in unions, though their "contract" is called a "bargaining agreement."

I lost my job yesterday.
I posted on a news site that even the Muslims who don't promote violence do want a world wide caliphate and their means to get it is by out breeding non-muslims.
Facebook banned me for 24 hours.
My boss fired me.
I sell car parts for a living, or I did.
Now I have to get another job that pays a living wage and explain why I was fired.
Free speech is only for the rich.

oh, and I hit up an online lawyer brokerage center with my wrongful termination suit. Not a single one has called my number or emailed me 24 hours later.

Poor fella.

I think he is lying..3 hours latter and FB didn't ban me.

Perhaps everyone you know on FB agrees with your views so they did not report you. That is the only way FB is going to find out

Wow, so they are firing people for their opinions?
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Christians.
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Americans.
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Southerners.
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Rich People.
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Northerners
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Jews
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Blacks
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Whites
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Policemen
Can you imagine how many will have to be fired for expressing their contempt for Patriots............
Is this how this chit going to work, or is it just for contempt for Muslims?
BTW, these recurring mass murder attacks of innocent Americans tends to affect people's opinion of Muslims.

I lost my job yesterday.
I posted on a news site that even the Muslims who don't promote violence do want a world wide caliphate and their means to get it is by out breeding non-muslims.
Facebook banned me for 24 hours.
My boss fired me.
I sell car parts for a living, or I did.
Now I have to get another job that pays a living wage and explain why I was fired.
Free speech is only for the rich.

oh, and I hit up an online lawyer brokerage center with my wrongful termination suit. Not a single one has called my number or emailed me 24 hours later.
/----/ Sorry you lost your job. Been there done that.
1.) At your next interview, simply explain your department was consolidated (it was when you were fired) and you're now looking for the next opportunity. DON'T GET INTO DETAILS. DON'T HAVE A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER and UNFRIEND YOUR OLD COLLEAGUES better yet drop off FB for awhile.
3.) Remember, most small companies never check references and your old company could face a libel suit if they defame you so they only list the dates you were hired and when you left.
4.) Ask for at least 10% more at your next interview.
5.) I sold to lawyers for 18 years. They are notorious for not answering emails or returning calls even if it's from a prospective client. Trust me on that one.
Read this: 12 Ways to Explain Why You Were Fired at a Job Interview
Good luck.

Indeed, words matter.

The OP had the right to say what he said. That is evident.

IOW, grow up.

People are going to think whatever they think, you cannot stop people from being "controversial" all you do is make them dig their heels in worse. If folks want to be assholes, let em.

I'm not trying to control anyone. I'm simply offering advice that would help to avoid such eventualities.

Indeed, words matter.

-- Oscar Wilde

We agree again! This is awesome.

IOW, grow up.

I'm not trying to control anyone. I'm simply offering advice that would help to avoid such eventualities.

Bullshit, when you talking about making them focus on "being a better person" you're trying to control peoples thoughts.

Let them be assholes and chose not to associate with them if you want - that's freedom of association.

Forum List

Back