This is What a Taxi Should Look Like!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
p0361l9t.jpg

As an ex-cabbie, I really like this. Easy to get in and out of and appears to have a luggage area one doesn't sprain one's back to load and unload.

From Meet the new London Taxi

p0361l9t.jpg

As an ex-cabbie, I really like this. Easy to get in and out of and appears to have a luggage area one doesn't sprain one's back to load and unload.

I prefer

1) All wheel drive.

2). A great safety and collision rating ; to include perfect safety for the occupants in a rollover.

3 ) Colors - off red, dark blue or gray - colors that blend in and are not attention grabbers.

4 ) Ease of passengers to get in and out - back passengers not cramped in the legs by the front seats when they set.

5 ). Adequate space for carry on bags, small luggage.

6) Fuel tank safety - I will not detail

7). Not too high for passengers - but a vehicle with moderate ground clearance ; like on the Honda CRV and new BMW SUVs. You don't want debris in the road, or if off road - objects being caught on the cross members ; dragging them or throwing them into the power train.

8). Commercial tires & installation ; I will not be particular - this is my personal tidbit.

9) Tinted windows in the rear glass and rear passenger glasses.

10) ect - ect. ; my own secret . ;)

Shadow 355

p0361l9t.jpg

It's black - a heat magnet in the summer .

It's small - no room ; easier for injuries in even a small & slight collision .

Windshield almost 90 degree angle -equals more drag and harder to handle if vehicle goes into a yaw skid or multiple swerves.

And about 4 other flaws I will not mention. My personal secret.

Shadow 355 ( Prior US Army - Security)

p0361l9t.jpg

I drove a cab once "in between jobs" for like 4 months, one day I figured it out. Working 6 days a week 12 hours a day after the $75 dollar a day lease and gas, I was making like $2 bucks an hour.

But it was a fun job, the people I met were interesting and the story's I could tell in that short amount of time I could write a book. :)

Remember, this is a LONDON cab that must navigate narrow, cobble stones streets in the midst of terrible traffic.

Nice vehicle, but then I like anything with suicide doors.

Longknife, or any other current/ex-drivers out there, do you have any preference whether your vehicle is referred to as a taxi or cab? Or is it like I've always thought: it's 6 of one, half dozen of another.

And have we come to a point where "cabbie" is politically incorrect?

Longknife, or any other current/ex-drivers out there, do you have any preference whether your vehicle is referred to as a taxi or cab? Or is it like I've always thought: it's 6 of one, half dozen of another.

I don't know about anyone else, they could call me anything they like as long as I got the cash.

I don't know about anyone else, they could call me anything they like as long as I got the cash.

That's what I expected but it never hurts to ask.

I recall taking drivers-ed way back in '69 and a police officer who came to visit the class was offended when another student referred to him as a "cop". He explained "cop" was short for constable-on-patrol. While that didn't do anything to help me understand his objection, I still took it to heart. To this day when I hear a local newscaster use the term "cop" it hits a nerve in my spine.

The vehicle type in the OP makes a good private sedan for hire, but not a taxi. Taxi's need great gas mileage, space for maximum passengers and luggage, a bright easy to identify color and be of minimum value so as to minimize insurance cost. That is why yellow or orange mini vans are so popular as taxi cabs and large black SUV's are so popular as LIMO's or private sedan with driver rentals.

The original name was a taximeter cabriolet, a horse-drawn vehicle in which the turning of the wheels determined the amount of fare.

As for taxi or cab, I'm betting it probably depends upon where you are. I am also certain it's and individual things as whether one prefers, Drive, Cabbie, or something else.

as one of my avatar/user names is lvcabbie, you can guess which I prefer.

5295804066_63e047212d.jpg

This is what I drove as our company had a special deal with Ford. It and other companies are test-beds for their vehicles. In our case, the vast majority of vehicles were converted to use propane/liquid gas with a big tank in the back. We had a special fueling station where trained men filled them up.

Actually drove little different from a regular gasoline-fueled Ford. A little slow at the low end but the same at highways speeds.

The engine usually lasted for around 350-400k miles and many of them were returned to the factory for inspection.

However, at 400k the springs and shocks were shot and the back seats in poor shape.

I've noticed they've switched to a lot of small Ford SUVs.

The vehicle type in the OP makes a good private sedan for hire, but not a taxi. Taxi's need great gas mileage, space for maximum passengers and luggage, a bright easy to identify color and be of minimum value so as to minimize insurance cost. That is why yellow or orange mini vans are so popular as taxi cabs and large black SUV's are so popular as LIMO's or private sedan with driver rentals.

Black vehicles are heat magnets in the summer - adding stress to the engine and cooling system .

Large black SUVs stand out and draw attention. Even in the parking garage .

Shadow 355

p0361l9t.jpg

Taxi's are going extinct. Uber is the way to go. What does a cab look like? Whatever you happen to be driving. Taxi's had a monopoly and took too long and cost too much. Uber is great!

Uber

$6 for me to get home from my buddies compared to $20 with a cab and the cab would take FOREVER. Uber drivers are all over the place just waiting to pick you up.

Black vehicles are heat magnets in the summer - adding stress to the engine and cooling system .

Large black SUVs stand out and draw attention. Even in the parking garage .

Shadow 355
It all depends on the area and clients you are trying to attract. I operated a service at a beach resort. The black SUV took the place and competed with limo's and was used mostly at night by regular clients who wanted something a bit more upscale than a regular taxi but did not want to rent stretch limo's. On the other hand, I used white Cad's and Lincolns for day use with one mini van for economy customers.
BTW, the first cab I drove was a Checker.

Forum List

Back