This is scary!

As an older guy I try not to speak badly of the younger generations, but the state of education in this country is just plain scary!! :omg: (See link below)

These are funny....but this is generally not up to education.

Let's start here.

The average IQ is 100. That means half of the children we teach are below that. That's what we're working with. We hope to teach them to read, write and do basic math. For those with IQs in the say, 85 range, having much left for these questions is probably a lot to ask. This is not usable knowledge.

Many years ago many of these folks would be illiterate.

This is not necessarily representative of the generation. They really need to post the survey results, and not just a bloopers clip.

That too. They might have--and probably did--post 100 people who could name the four seasons and only showed the reel of the one who could not. And then everyone freaks out about "our education system today", as if, sadly, there hasn't always been people with an IQ of 80 and below

And PS: we are all of us one car accident or fall down the stairs or stroke away from a similar fate.

That too. They might have--and probably did--post 100 people who could name the four seasons and only showed the reel of the one who could not. And then everyone freaks out about "our education system today", as if, sadly, there hasn't always been people with an IQ of 80 and below

And PS: we are all of us one car accident or fall down the stairs or stroke away from a similar fate.

About 25 years ago I taught a friend's college class when he needed an operation. This was undergrad, and a geography class. The male student, who also happened to be a surfer, didn't know how many days it took for the Earth to orbit the Sun.

That's just pathetic.

About 25 years ago I taught a friend's college class when he needed an operation. This was undergrad, and a geography class. The male student, who also happened to be a surfer, didn't know how many days it took for the Earth to orbit the Sun.

That's just pathetic.

Right. I realize I'm in a good public school system, but....our students do what's called "calendar" every single school day starting in pre-kindergarten. They name (and look at) day, date, month, year and season and note the weather. They do this for YEARS and when they're older, they date every single paper they produce.

If after years of doing this even in elementary school, children don't get a feel for seasons/months/years....do you blame teachers for that?

These are funny....but this is generally not up to education.

Let's start here.

The average IQ is 100. That means half of the children we teach are below that. That's what we're working with. We hope to teach them to read, write and do basic math. For those with IQs in the say, 85 range, having much left for these questions is probably a lot to ask. This is not usable knowledge.

Many years ago many of these folks would be illiterate.
Also, we must consider, that these types of videos, are purposely edited for entertainment value.

They are not filmed in real time, with a random sample of folks walking down the street live . . .

So. . . what we get, is a skewed view of the population.

In the eighties and nineties when Letterman had his guy just go out live, or Conan used to do this in real time, it was much more believable.

All the better for the clicks.

As an older guy I try not to speak badly of the younger generations, but the state of education in this country is just plain scary!! :omg: (See link below)

Such people probably believe that Biden is a good President. He definitely does know more than they do.

I graduated from high school in the 1960s and I seriously do not believe I had a classmate who could not have answered these questions.

I looked at some of the tests my father who was born in 1900 took. They were much tougher than the ones I had. No multiple guess tests and I noticed spelling and grammar were also graded in the tests.

That was the scheme of Water's World with Jesse Waters

Right. I realize I'm in a good public school system, but....our students do what's called "calendar" every single school day starting in pre-kindergarten. They name (and look at) day, date, month, year and season and note the weather. They do this for YEARS and when they're older, they date every single paper they produce.

If after years of doing this even in elementary school, children don't get a feel for seasons/months/years....do you blame teachers for that?

No, I wasn't blaming the teacher at all, I was merely amazed that a SURFER, didn’t know that.

You realize when they make these videos they ask this question of 200 people and show you the 10 worst answers.

Forum List

Back