This is me addressing democrats/liberals: how has Obama disappointed you?

And to what extent?

I think Obama has undeniably accomplished a lot in his first 3 years, but his over-reliance on diplomacy with Republicans has impeded critical progress.

I'm sure the cons/repubs on here are undoubtedly going to answer this question too, but at least try and be mature about it...

*plays flute to summon the small band of lefties out of the woodwork*

Obama should have invoked the 14th Amendment during the made-up debt crisis created by the Teapubs. He should have kept the Public Option on the table too. The Dems need to stop compromising when it's clear the other side has no intention of doing so. He'd better not compromise and give in to the pipeline if the Repubs attach it to the payroll tax cuts. I've been pretty pleased with Obama on the whole but if he caves on that one too, damn I'm gonna be pissed.

Yeah! it would be a fucking shame to put 20 thousand Americans to work and to find a source that isn't Arab.. we got it. we fucking got it. asswipe.

In this case, you mean Canada's got it. Yeah, it would be a shame to spend all that time and money investing in a filthy, polluting energy source instead of spending time and money on cleaner, cheaper alternatives.
Funny how the House Repubs are fired up all of sudden about jobs when they haven't given a shit about jobs since they took the majority.

Obama should have invoked the 14th Amendment during the made-up debt crisis created by the Teapubs. He should have kept the Public Option on the table too. The Dems need to stop compromising when it's clear the other side has no intention of doing so. He'd better not compromise and give in to the pipeline if the Repubs attach it to the payroll tax cuts. I've been pretty pleased with Obama on the whole but if he caves on that one too, damn I'm gonna be pissed.

Yeah! it would be a fucking shame to put 20 thousand Americans to work and to find a source that isn't Arab.. we got it. we fucking got it. asswipe.

In this case, you mean Canada's got it. Yeah, it would be a shame to spend all that time and money investing in a filthy, polluting energy source instead of spending time and money on cleaner, cheaper alternatives.
Funny how the House Repubs are fired up all of sudden about jobs when they haven't given a shit about jobs since they took the majority.

Nice fairy tale, yours?

And to what extent?

I think Obama has undeniably accomplished a lot in his first 3 years, but his over-reliance on diplomacy with Republicans has impeded critical progress.

I'm sure the cons/repubs on here are undoubtedly going to answer this question too, but at least try and be mature about it...

I absolutely agree with you on the 14th Amendment. Of course, the TPers claim Obama took total control of all medical care in the country, so I'm sure it doesn't take much imagination to know what they would claim if he had gone the 14th Amendment route. Still, would have been nice to see.

I see him compromising on the pipeline just like he did with the tax cuts for the wealthy. The GOP has proven they will destroy families in order to get what they want. Obama really has no choice.

They sure have.

Reid declared the bill DOA anyway so hopefully he won't give Obama a chance to cave. If the payroll tax goes back up 2% to it's original amount, it would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. Let the GOP Obstructionists play their game. If it's going to hit them in their wallets, they'll eventually scramble and draw up a clean bill.

I absolutely agree with you on the 14th Amendment. Of course, the TPers claim Obama took total control of all medical care in the country, so I'm sure it doesn't take much imagination to know what they would claim if he had gone the 14th Amendment route. Still, would have been nice to see.

I see him compromising on the pipeline just like he did with the tax cuts for the wealthy. The GOP has proven they will destroy families in order to get what they want. Obama really has no choice.

They sure have.

Reid declared the bill DOA anyway so hopefully he won't give Obama a chance to cave. If the payroll tax goes back up 2% to it's original amount, it would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. Let the GOP Obstructionists play their game. If it's going to hit them in their wallets, they'll eventually scramble and draw up a clean bill.

So you support the continued fleecing and bankrupting of SS.

The cut has been ineffective., But as long as you get some welfare its good right?

They sure have.

The cut has been ineffective., But as long as you get some welfare its good right?

Ineffective? First off, I thought conservatives believed any and all tax cuts are good. They always create jobs, always. Second, we've had private sector job growth every month since the cut was in place.

What world do you live in?

They sure have.

Ineffective? First off, I thought conservatives believed any and all tax cuts are good. They always create jobs, always. Second, we've had private sector job growth every month since the cut was in place.

There's a switch, huh? A conservative in favor of letting taxes increase....to fund SS no less.

They sure have.

You thought? Damn, I missed it. My bad.

What you already said...

...is the biggest reason for me. He and his admin. have also shown they're not much better than the Repubs when it comes to the big banks.

Yes, and what I find so bizarre about it is that Repubs are constantly trying to paint him as this liberal extremist. I mean that charge is just so patently false.

Agreed. In fact, one of my disappointments is that he has not been liberal enough! Specifically, a larger stimulus was needed and a public option should not have been taken off the table.
trillions of the stimulus was given to banks overseas !!! yeah lets give em trillions more !! libbs are idiots !!

Yes, and what I find so bizarre about it is that Repubs are constantly trying to paint him as this liberal extremist. I mean that charge is just so patently false.

Agreed. In fact, one of my disappointments is that he has not been liberal enough! Specifically, a larger stimulus was needed and a public option should not have been taken off the table.
trillions of the stimulus was given to banks overseas !!! yeah lets give em trillions more !! libbs are idiots !!

heh heh you think the stimulus was trillions?

I think you have some reading to do.

heh heh you think the stimulus was trillions?

I think you have some reading to do.

I think he's got a few years of grammar school to make up first.

And to what extent?

A fair question. And it's been brought up in the thread. But here's my list..

1. Tried way to hard to get "along" with Republicans. While he had precious few tools to leverage with politically..he almost immediately gave them away. Clinton should have been a lesson in Republicans. They are like scorpions.

2. Didn't go with Single Payer. (See above). If there are going to be no republican votes, why use their plan?

3. Extended Bush tax cuts..and got little in return. Hopefully that error is cleared when they come up again.

4. Signed the patriot act. Although it was modified..this piece of legislation is an abortion and really should be let to wither.

5. Almost immediately squashed any hope for independent investigations into the run up to the Iraq war. And tossed out the notion that companies like War Profiteers Halliburton or Blackwater would ever be made to account for their crimes in Iraq. Same with the PNAC crowd.

6. Is much to careful and process oriented when it comes to domestic policy. Although in the long run it looks as if he was coloring in the lines..it brings about charges of "He's leading from the rear!" or "He's a bystander president". He should have used Simpson Bowles like a bludgeon. Instead he let Republicans come up with their "own" plan. Which became a joke. And while that may be funny..it gives credence to some of the lack of leadership charge.

7. There has been little or no investigation into banks and financials. As well as very little call for more regulation. At the very least, Glass-Steagall, or some version of it, should be reinstated. This is important because it gives way to some of the very same practices that fostered the economic meltdown, happening again.

You don't go after banks corporations too much in a bad recession. I haven't seen any plausible ways suggested to get them to stop hoarding.
Any public option would have lost us blue dogs and the whole ACA. COULDN'T get anymore.

I believe he could have seized the major banks and nationalized them. Then forced them to lend the money given them by Bush, and also force them to rewrite loans. That certainly would have helped get the country going again and was being called for by some of the more far left liberals.

I didn't mean to suggest a Public Option would have made it all the way through, but Obama dropped it quicker than he dropped smoking. That never made sense to me.

What makes you think that a US President has the right to seize banks and nationalize them? The reason that the US has always attracted foreign investment is that we are a nation of laws in which the owners of private companies are protected from arbitrary "seizures" of their assets by the government. Do you not grasp that this is what makes us different than so many other places in the world?

As for "forcing" banks to make loans? Have you so quickly forgotten that doing THAT was what got us into trouble with the housing bubble that just burst? It used to be that banks looked for 20% down on a house and one had to PROVE credit worthiness. That all changed when government intervened in the process and forced banks to make loans to people that didn't qualify under previous standards. "Forcing" banks into making bad loans was bad policy before and it remains so now.

They sure have.

LOL YOU HIT BOTTOM AND WANT TO TAKE CREDIT FOR ANY REBOUND THAT WOULD OCCUR NATURALLY. The you thought was especially comical. A corporation gets a tax break to improve economic conditions for everyone, but is called welfare.

As long as you get your welfare right.

Fuck SS it doesnt have any money anyway, so lets completely bankrupt the system and see if we can make 2037, 2017 Brilliant plan................

I'd have to echo what most people have already laid out...bailing on the Public Option and trying to negotiate with the Republicans...whose only, stated, goal is to see him fail.

You don't go after banks corporations too much in a bad recession. I haven't seen any plausible ways suggested to get them to stop hoarding.
Any public option would have lost us blue dogs and the whole ACA. COULDN'T get anymore.

I believe he could have seized the major banks and nationalized them. Then forced them to lend the money given them by Bush, and also force them to rewrite loans. That certainly would have helped get the country going again and was being called for by some of the more far left liberals.

I didn't mean to suggest a Public Option would have made it all the way through, but Obama dropped it quicker than he dropped smoking. That never made sense to me.

What makes you think that a US President has the right to seize banks and nationalize them?
The reason that the US has always attracted foreign investment is that we are a nation of laws in which the owners of private companies are protected from arbitrary "seizures" of their assets by the government. Do you not grasp that this is what makes us different than so many other places in the world?

As for "forcing" banks to make loans? Have you so quickly forgotten that doing THAT was what got us into trouble with the housing bubble that just burst? It used to be that banks looked for 20% down on a house and one had to PROVE credit worthiness. That all changed when government intervened in the process and forced banks to make loans to people that didn't qualify under previous standards. "Forcing" banks into making bad loans was bad policy before and it remains so now.

That's the really frightening part! That they think that way. They are nothing but a bunch of communists trying to "fundamentally change America"

My biggest disappointment is that he seems to think he is above politics. He thinks he can stay out of the infighting and come in at the last minute and resolve everything. He has an idealistic view that if he is reasonable, the other side will be reasonable too. The result is that he is the only person in the room compromising

The result was an unfocused Stimulus bill trying to please everyone. He gave up the Government Option on healthcare. He extended the Bush tax cuts and offered spending cuts without corresponding revenue increases

On the bright side, it seems he has learned his lesson and realizes the other side is not playing by the same rules

You mean like Obamacare? Give some examples of this. It just shows how looney left you are. Obama is the most divisive bitterly partisan President in my lifetime, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition.

Really? How old are you? I'd have to say Nixon was the most divisive one I've ever lived through. Do you have some examples of how bitterly divisive Obama has been?

I agree. Either Kaz thinks George W. Bush is a centrist, or Kaz is a child.

I wonder which it is.

Yet another liberal circle jerk

Forum List

Back