this is ludicrous

Originally posted by acludem
And what if forensics proves the guy was far away when he was shot? What if there is a witness that says the guys running away as the owner opened fire? Will that change your opinion?

No, then we give him a medal for marksmanship.

And what if forensics proves the guy was far away when he was shot? What if there is a witness that says the guys running away as the owner opened fire? Will that change your opinion?

acludem

If forensics show that these guys STOPPED pushing the car away and were running down the street, yes it would change my opinion.

Good. I appreciate that. We only know these facts: Someone saw two guys trying to steal his car, he opened fire and one of them is dead. The rest is yet to be filled in, and the devil is in the details here. This will be an interesting and contraversial case depending on what the investigation reveals. If it reveals the guys threatened him, then he had every right to shoot. If it reveals they were unarmed and running away, then he should be tried (though I'm not sure murder is the appropriate charge, manslaughter would be more appropriate IMHO).

acludem

Good. I appreciate that. We only know these facts: Someone saw two guys trying to steal his car, he opened fire and one of them is dead. The rest is yet to be filled in, and the devil is in the details here.

Why do you ignore information in an article only to believe what you want?

We only know these facts: Someone saw two guys trying to steal his car, he opened fire and one of them is dead.

with that alone, I say he's justified. If theres other information that proves otherwise great. but for now, I say he's justified.

I am going to err on the side of trusting the property owner with making the right judgment call until forsenics and/or other investigative techniques show him to be in the wrong. And there are a lot of questions that we don't know. Was this the first time this person was a victim? Did he know the two thieves? Did the car thieves have weapons?

My point exactly Jeff, we don't know that much. From what the article says it was the fact that the thief was shot in the back that caused the investigation to change in tenor. And New Guy, what information did I leave out? What? Please enlighten me. In fact the only major piece of information I left out is that the thief was shot in the back, which helps my argument.

acludem

Forum List

Back