this is ludicrous

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DKSuddeth, Apr 8, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&u=/nm/20040407/us_nm/crime_murder_dc_1&printer=1

L.A. Man Shoots Car Thief, Charged with Murder
    Wed Apr 7, 5:51 PM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 26-year-old Los Angeles man who prosecutors say shot at two thieves stealing his car, killing one of them, was charged on Wednesday with murder.

Yoon Ho Song could face 50 years to life in prison if he is convicted of the first degree murder of Mario Sandoval Martinez and a special allegation of using a handgun, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said.

Prosecutors say Song came out of his house to find two car thieves pushing his customized Honda out of his driveway in the predawn hours on Monday and opened fire, hitting Martinez, 25, in the back. The second suspect got away.

"The fact that your car is being stolen isn't a legal justification for killing somebody," Deputy District Attorney Frank Somes said. "Generally, you're not allowed to kill people unless they are committing a violent felony or you are acting in self defense."

Somes said police initially focused on Song as a crime victim but "essentially began questioning whether he was the victim or a suspect when they learned the person stealing the car had been shot in the back."

An attorney for Song, who was expected to make his first court appearance in the case as early as Wednesday, could not be reached for comment

2. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ludacris

[​IMG]

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In California, you can't even use the gun in self defense or the violent felony.

In actuality, you have to be in your home, not outside.

You have to be under the unmistaken belief that your life IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING TAKEN, and THEN you are absolved from responsibility in using the gun.

Insane.

4. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'd have to see more specific facts to pass judgement. Did he shoot them as they were running away? Were they armed? These are significant questions, both from a legal and moral standpoint.

acludem

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    1. On his property
    2. Stealing his property
    3. 2 against one.

That is enough to justify anything in any logic.

6. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You think you should be able to shoot someone simply because they walk on to your property?!?! I deliver newspapers as part of my job, that attitude scares the hell out of me. You cannot condone vigilantism in a civilized society. Regardless of whether these guys were trying to steal his car, he shot the guy in the back. By the code of the old west, he'd be getting strung up right about now.

acludem

7. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think it's good to shoot criminals. It keeps them from reproducing NEW criminals.

(shrug).

Do I feel 'sorry' for the guy who died? Nope.
    Do I feel 'appropriate' levels of force were used to protect a 'f-ing' car? No way...

Aim for the kneecaps...that's my advice.

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    They didn't just walk onto his property. They were in the midst of committing a felony. If you were delivering a paper to my house, and tried to steal my car as you left, I'd shoot your ass in a heartbeat.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    ditto

10. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Then I would charge you with murder as a prosecutor. You can't shoot someone who is unarmed and running away because you don't like what they were doing a few minutes ago. Would it change your opinion any if they were no longer on his property when he shot at them? Did you all miss the part where it says he shot the guy in the BACK??????????

acludem