This explains our current parties pretty well

can you make money on something there is NO demand for?

Last edited:
Kinda hurts to know your whole economic theory was written by a las vegas reporter who counted cards on the side huh?

Career
After college, Wanniski worked as a reporter and columnist in Alaska.[1] From 1961 to 1965 he worked at The Las Vegas Review-Journal as a political columnist from 1961 to 1965,[2], where he taught himself economics as he learned card counting.[3]

Last edited:
Andrew W. Mellon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heres the real director of the republican line

The Great Depression

Mellon on U.S. stampMellon became unpopular with the onset of the Great Depression. He advised Herbert Hoover to "liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate farmers, liquidate real estate… it will purge the rottenness out of the system. High costs of living and high living will come down. People will work harder, live a more moral life. Values will be adjusted, and enterprising people will pick up from less competent people."[7] Additionally, he advocated weeding out "weak" banks as a harsh but necessary prerequisite to the recovery of the banking system. This "weeding out" was accomplished through refusing to lend cash to banks (taking loans and other investments as collateral), and by refusing to put more cash in circulation. He advocated spending cuts to keep the Federal budget balanced, and opposed fiscal stimulus measures. In 1929-31, he spent much of the time overseas, negotiating for repayment of European war debts from World War I. In February 1932, Mellon left the Treasury Department and accepted the post of U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom. He served for one year and then retired to private life.

Sounds right to me. Purge the corruption. Im sorry to hear you like corruption in our system.

How well did it work you fool, it crashed our economy a nd gave us the great depression

Two Santa Clauses or How The Republican Party Has Conned America for Thirty Years

1974, Jude Wanniski had had enough. The Democrats got to play Santa Claus when they passed out Social Security and Unemployment checks – both programs of the New Deal – as well as when their "big government" projects like roads, bridges, and highways were built giving a healthy union paycheck to construction workers. They kept raising taxes on businesses and rich people to pay for things, which didn't seem to have much effect at all on working people (wages were steadily going up, in fact), and that made them seem like a party of Robin Hoods, taking from the rich to fund programs for the poor and the working class. Americans loved it. And every time Republicans railed against these programs, they lost elections.

Everybody understood at the time that economies are driven by demand. People with good jobs have money in their pockets, and want to use it to buy things. The job of the business community is to either determine or drive that demand to their particular goods, and when they're successful at meeting the demand then factories get built, more people become employed to make more products, and those newly-employed people have a paycheck that further increases demand.

Wanniski decided to turn the classical world of economics – which had operated on this simple demand-driven equation for seven thousand years – on its head. In 1974 he invented a new phrase – "supply side economics" – and suggested that the reason economies grew wasn't because people had money and wanted to buy things with it but, instead, because things were available for sale, thus tantalizing people to part with their money. The more things there were, the faster the economy would grow.

Ok, so how does that mean it's OK to raise taxes on the wealthy only?

They have money to burn. If they don't have it they can't spend it.

They can't buy things
or hire people to buy things.

The government is borrowing money to spend, the dollar isn't worth squat, so how is taking more money away from people that know how to make money and giving it to fools an improvment?

So you agree with me?

That both parties are a waste of time.

I'm friggin stunned, seriously, I think I got whiplash.

No, she clearly doesn't. If she did she wouldnt be pretending it's all Republicans and that the Democrats are pure as the white driven snow.

How well did it work you fool, it crashed our economy a nd gave us the great depression

The economy crashes routinely when people are dishonest and corrupt. As well it should. The crashes are a correction mechanism.

You want to avoid correction. Naturally, this makes things worse. Hoover had the same idea. He thought he could engineer the economy. FDR took it to the next level. They could have learned from the Depression of 1920. But instead they both enable government to interfer with the economy and cause a depression that lasted 12 years.

But as long as you support corruption. the economy will continue to crash.

BTW how do you have a demand for something that hasn't been invented, built, or made aware to you in some way?

Rewrite of history pulled out of someones ass just like Wanniski pulled supplyside out of his.

BTW how do you have a demand for something that hasn't been invented, built, or made aware to you in some way?

A need.

You see successful buinesses who creat a NEW product to fill a consumer need do succede.

Many have tried and failed to fill a need and not really filled it.

The consumer is the ONLY way real products survive.

A need.

You see successful buinesses who creat a NEW product to fill a consumer need do succede.

Many have tried and failed to fill a need and not really filled it.

The consumer is the ONLY way real products survive.

Wingnuts don't understand business

When I see OPs such as this one.... the only thing it explains to me is why our nation is in such a mess. It is because not enough of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. This applies equally to both left and right.... it seems that many prefer to get their opinions provided to them rather than obtaining facts, analyzing a variety of information and applying some critical thinking to form their own opinions.

How sad.

:lol: Wingnut complains about posts with no facts in a post with no facts

Sure.

The two major American Parties have been playing the good cop/bad cop game on the American electorate for my entire adult lifetime.

Rewrite of history pulled out of someones ass just like Wanniski pulled supplyside out of his.

Dont need to rewrite history. There was a depression in 1920 that was deeper than the one in 1929. The government cut taxes and cut spending and we had unprecedented growth. It was the only time we have had 2% unemployment.

Herbert Hoover was a Progressive Republican. He was quite open about this. He looked at the economy as an engineer and tried to manipulate it. So in 1929 when the Depression wasnt as severe, he destablized it by tinkering with it. MAde it worse than before. FDR came in and did even more tinkering despite running as a conservative. The Great Depression lasted 12 years because of their interference.

These are facts. You can deny them all you want. But you just have to ask yourself one thing. If government is key to fixing economic downturn, why is it the Governments that interfered the most prolonged ithe downturn while the ones that went out of their way to get out of the way saw unprecedented growth?

When I see OPs such as this one.... the only thing it explains to me is why our nation is in such a mess. It is because not enough of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. This applies equally to both left and right.... it seems that many prefer to get their opinions provided to them rather than obtaining facts, analyzing a variety of information and applying some critical thinking to form their own opinions.

How sad.

You just hate anything I post and ignore the facts given.

Why can you not RESPOND to the facts in this article?

Bescause you have no defense.

I post my very own thoughts all the time cali and you jsut knee jerk hate them because you are sooo emotionally attached to the very failed ideas Im talking about in this thread.

Dont need to rewrite history. There was a depression in 1920 that was deeper than the one in 1929. The government cut taxes and cut spending and we had unprecedented growth. It was the only time we have had 2% unemployment.

Herbert Hoover was a Progressive Republican. He was quite open about this. He looked at the economy as an engineer and tried to manipulate it. So in 1929 when the Depression wasnt as severe, he destablized it by tinkering with it. MAde it worse than before. FDR came in and did even more tinkering despite running as a conservative. The Great Depression lasted 12 years because of their interference.

These are facts. You can deny them all you want. But you just have to ask yourself one thing. If government is key to fixing economic downturn, why is it the Governments that interfered the most prolonged ithe downturn while the ones that went out of their way to get out of the way saw unprecedented growth?

They are not facts they are the tag line of the right which has been proven by history to be bullshit.

Forum List

Back