This Day in History - Bloody Monday

Pogo you fucked yourself here on USMB when you said you can see mount Mitchell..

You so screwed yourself out of any political arguments you have.

Exactly hypocrite just like all the rest of you liberal swine, you know and realize you comprehend that you made a cluster fuck in the blue democrat controlled states and city's ..

Again, I'm not dense enough to believe that bullshit about "Democrat (it's capitalized, learn English) controlled states and cities" (-ies, we never use an apostrophe to form a plural in English, ever). I live in a place for what it offers geographically, culturally and employmentarily --- none of which have to do with juvenile concepts like "Democrat" and "Republican" (they're capitalized you know).

I live here because I can hear wood thrushes instead of leaf blowers. Because when I leave my driveway anybody I pass waves and I wave back. Because it's so quiet I can literally hear snowflakes fall. Because I have space to grow vegetables. Again, zero of those involve juvenile concepts like "Democrat" and "Republican". They're irrelevant.

So you went for freedom of republican controlled states ..

Actually I left a far more Republican (it's captialized, learn English) controlled state for this by-now bipartisan one. I'm in NORTH Carolina --- not South. Not that (again) it matters.

Yet still post nonsense that liberals are better..at running the government.

Do I now.

----- Link?

Yeah didn't think so.

How do you sleep at night knowing what you say is the exact opposite of what party you run to for help?

I don't have a "party". Again --- link?

Seen your proctologist lately? Because there seems to be a lot in there.

Now, got anything on the actual topic or are you just trying to deflect it away?

Pogo you fucked yourself here on USMB when you said you can see mount Mitchell..

You so screwed yourself out of any political arguments you have.

:lol:

Once you see Mt. Mitchell it's kinda like Medusa huh?

If only you knew the history of big unlimited government.
-------------------------- the biggest most murderous entities on earth have been governments , many of them elected governments elected by the people but then those same governments turned around and murdered the people that had elected them . I think that happened in Germany in the 1930s . Millions were killed Pogo .
Government, whether ruled by elected leader, dictator, or monarch is responsible for more death, suffering, and destruction than any other thing EVER devised by man...yet few know this and we continue to allow government more power and authority.

This is related in any way to the topic --- how exactly?
It is not exactly.

Then why are you cluttering up my nice clean thread? I run a respectable joint here. Address the topic or scram.
buttkick.gif

If only you knew the history of big unlimited government.
-------------------------- the biggest most murderous entities on earth have been governments , many of them elected governments elected by the people but then those same governments turned around and murdered the people that had elected them . I think that happened in Germany in the 1930s . Millions were killed Pogo .
Government, whether ruled by elected leader, dictator, or monarch is responsible for more death, suffering, and destruction than any other thing EVER devised by man...yet few know this and we continue to allow government more power and authority.

It is not exactly.

Then why are you cluttering up my nice clean thread? I run a respectable joint here. Address the topic or scram.
buttkick.gif
Because I like you so much.

You must learn that government is nothing, if not evil. So I am doing my best to educate you of this fact.

Is it working?

Exactly hypocrite just like all the rest of you liberal swine, you know and realize you comprehend that you made a cluster fuck in the blue democrat controlled states and city's ..

Again, I'm not dense enough to believe that bullshit about "Democrat (it's capitalized, learn English) controlled states and cities" (-ies, we never use an apostrophe to form a plural in English, ever). I live in a place for what it offers geographically, culturally and employmentarily --- none of which have to do with juvenile concepts like "Democrat" and "Republican" (they're capitalized you know).

I live here because I can hear wood thrushes instead of leaf blowers. Because when I leave my driveway anybody I pass waves and I wave back. Because it's so quiet I can literally hear snowflakes fall. Because I have space to grow vegetables. Again, zero of those involve juvenile concepts like "Democrat" and "Republican". They're irrelevant.

So you went for freedom of republican controlled states ..

Actually I left a far more Republican (it's captialized, learn English) controlled state for this by-now bipartisan one. I'm in NORTH Carolina --- not South. Not that (again) it matters.

Yet still post nonsense that liberals are better..at running the government.

Do I now.

----- Link?

Yeah didn't think so.

How do you sleep at night knowing what you say is the exact opposite of what party you run to for help?

I don't have a "party". Again --- link?

Seen your proctologist lately? Because there seems to be a lot in there.

Now, got anything on the actual topic or are you just trying to deflect it away?

Quit being a hypocrite you ran like hell once you had a chance like I did from the hell hole you created in the north..

To republican controlled state..

You are a vulture, like an Alien from the first movie "independence day"

You totally destroy your home planet by voting for democrats and say to yourself " God damn this sucks"

And move to the protection of republicans...

Yet still spout your nonsense that democrats run states and city's are better.

You my friend are a hypocrite level red to the highest degree of greed

It is not exactly.

buttkick.gif

You must learn that government is nothing, if not evil. So I am doing my best to educate you of this fact.

Is it working?

Nuh-uh. I focus.

It is not exactly.

buttkick.gif

Is it working?

Nuh-uh. I focus.

You focus on an democrat ideology that totally made the economy's of the north a cluster fuck.

And you ran for salvation in the arms of republican controlled countys and states.

Yet you stil post and shout from your lungs "democrats are still better at running things"

While you sit drinking coffee and look at mount Mitchell from your front porch and enjoy freedom and low taxes courtesy of republicans

Quit being a hypocrite you ran like hell once you had a chance like I did from the hell hole you created in the north..

Number one, I created no "hell hole", in the north or anywhere else. The country was here long before I was, so were the states and the cities. WAY before. Strike one.

Actually when I moved, not including France, I went to California (which admittedly was run by a Republican (note the capital letter) Pete Wilson but that was irrelevant and still is, because that's juvenile bullshit for people who live in comic books) and then to Vermont, and then to Louisiana, ALL of which had to do with new employment opportunities, and the only reason I left Philadelphia was that I was bored with the same old thing. So, strike two.

No idea what that even means. If that's a movie, I don't watch 'em. If it's a TV show, I don't have one.

You totally destroy your home planet by voting for democrats and say to yourself " God damn this sucks"

Again, you have no clue who I vote for, who I vote against or even if I vote at all. And btw Democrats is capitalized; it's a proper name. Strike three.

There's no such thing. I move for geography, culture and employment, none of which have anything to do with "Republicans", which gets a capital letter. Strike four.

And you are an endless torrent of strawmen derived from the drainpipe of your colonic. Strike five.

You focus on an democrat ideology that totally made the economy's of the north a cluster fuck.

Link?

Nope, didn't think so. And learn to write in English.

Strike six.

And you ran for salvation in the arms of republican controlled countys and states.

Like Vermont? Like California?

Strikes seven and eight.

Yet you stil post and shout from your lungs "democrats are still better at running things"

Link? Quote? Anything?

Strike nine.

And by the way one does not "shout from one's lungs". That's what the larynx is for.

While you sit drinking coffee and look at mount Mitchell from your front porch and enjoy freedom and low taxes courtesy of republicans

I do drink coffee, yes. And I can see Mount Mitchell while I do. Which according to the Palin mythology makes me a mountain climber. Or a cartographer. Or sump'm. But I also brew the best French Roast around these parts, which --- guess what -- has bupkis to do with "Republicans".

Strike ten.

/offtopic

Last edited:

Number one, I created no "hell hole", in the north or anywhere else. The country was here long before I was, so were the states and the cities. WAY before. Strike one.

Actually when I moved, not including France, I went to California (which admittedly was run by a Republican (note the capital letter) Pete Wilson but that was irrelevant and still is, because that's juvenile bullshit for people who live in comic books) and then to Vermont, and then to Louisiana, ALL of which had to do with new employment opportunities, and the only reason I left Philadelphia was that I was bored with the same old thing. So, strike two.

No idea what that even means. If that's a movie, I don't watch 'em. If it's a TV show, I don't have one.

Again, you have no clue who I vote for, who I vote against or even if I vote at all. And btw Democrats is capitalized; it's a proper name. Strike three.

There's no such thing. I move for geography, culture and employment, none of which have anything to do with "Republicans", which gets a capital letter. Strike four.

And you are an endless torrent of strawmen derived from the drainpipe of your colonic. Strike five.

Link?

Nope, didn't think so. And learn to write in English.

Strike six.

Like Vermont? Like California?

Strikes seven and eight.

Link? Quote? Anything?

Strike nine.

And by the way one does not "shout from one's lungs". That's what the larynx is for.

I do drink coffee, yes. And I can see Mount Mitchell while I do. Which according to the Palin mythology makes me a mountain climber. Or a cartographer. Or sump'm. But I also brew the best French Roast around these parts, which --- guess what -- has bupkis to do with "Republicans".

Strike ten.

/offtopic

Posting circle jerk answers mean nothing to me...

The bottom line is, you are a liberal who understands that your bottom financial matters means for a better life you bolted from the democrats and went to the republicans way of life..

Yet still yell the democrats are better

Speaking of 'refuse to see' --- how's come not a single one of your posts can see or deal with the OP?

Which is, to refresh..........

... Some fourteen or fifteen men were shot, including Officer Williams, Joe Selvage and others. Two or three were killed, and a number of houses, chiefly German coffee houses, broken into and pillaged. About 4 o'clock, a vast crowd armed with shotguns, muskets and rifles were proceeding to attack the new German parish of St. Martin of Tours on Shelby street. Mayor Barbee, himself a Know-Nothing, dissuaded them with and the mob returned to the First Ward polls. An hour afterwards the large brewery on Jefferson street, near the junction of Green, was set on fire.[3] Rev. Karl Boeswald was fatally injured by a hail of flying Stones while on his way to visit a dying parishioner.

Late in the afternoon three Irishmen going down Main street, near Eleventh, were attacked, and one knocked down. Irish in the neighborhood responded by firing repeated volleys from the windows of their houses on Main street. Mr. Rodes, a river-man, was shot and killed by one in the upper story, and a Mr. Graham met with a similar fate. An Irishman who discharged a pistol at the back of a man's head was shot and then hung but survived. After dusk, a row of frame houses on Main street between Tenth and Eleventh, the property of Mr. Quinn, a well known Irishman, were set on fire. The flames extended across the street and twelve buildings were destroyed. These houses were chiefly tenanted by Irish, and upon any of the tenants venturing out to escape the flames, they were immediately shot down. Those badly wounded by gun shot could not escape from the burning buildings.[3] (Wiki)

Louisville, Kentucky. Monday August 6, 1855. An election day, and the Nativist "Know Nothing" Party, a fearmongering hypernationalistic hair-on-fire bunch warning of the dire consequences of immigrants, had sent thugs out to stand Intimidation Patrol at the polling places. Targeted (this time) were Germans and Irish.

Background (in part):
>> Over a decade before Bloody Monday, the German editor of a Louisville newspaper urged his fellow immigrants to assert their right to vote by arming themselves as they headed to the polls to vote in the 1844 presidential election. The editor was later forced to flee after native-born U.S. citizens gathered in front of his office, but the “damage” was done. James K. Polk, a Democrat, won the election instead of Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, a member of the Whig party. The result of the election was blamed on the votes of German and Irish immigrants.

By 1849, a group called the National Central Union of Free Germans (NCUFG) was headquartered in Louisville, urging immigrants to retain their native language and customs. The NCUFG also promoted “wild” notions like women’s suffrage, the abolition of slavery, and equality for black men. The party that would soon be known as the Know-Nothings were infuriated because the immigrants weren’t conforming to their idea of how Americans should behave or think. << -- Bloody Monday

The end result left over a hundred businesses, homes vandalized, looted and/or burned, including an entire row of houses destroyed by fire, with a death toll estimated at anywhere from about 20 to over 100, with entire families trapped in their own houses where they burned to death.

>> Needless to say, the immigrants weren’t exactly happy about being prevented from voting. One man, George Berg, was beaten to death by a group of angry Irishmen, while a German man fired shots at a passing carriage on the corner of Shelby and Green Streets. After the first shots were fired, the Know-Nothings came out in uncontrollable mobs. They burned a whole row of houses in the Irish district, burning several people to death and hanging a few more before tossing the bodies into the flames. An old Irishman was pulled from his bed and killed for “being an Irishman and a Catholic.” << (ibid)​

Over ten thousand survivors packed up and left for other cities. So much so that the population drop closed still more businesses and cultural resources, causing Louisville to be eclipsed by then-comparable cities like Cincinnati and St. Louis, two of the major destinations to which the disgusted residents fled.

The Know Nothings were a short-lived nativist political party, staunchly opposed to immigrants and purporting to stand for pure Americanism. Their nickname came from the secrecy associated with it -- if one was questioned about the party he was supposed to reply, "I know nothing". Happily they died out soon after this incident, though not because of it, although the spirit of what they stood for would be revived and manifest in the 20th century Ku Klux Klan.. And some suggest, in the 2016 election.

Those who ignore their own history.....

More background on the Know Nothings, from the same era....

>> The Klan in Maine was not the first organization to target Catholics, but rather came on the heels of other aggressive anti-Catholic movements. The Know Nothing Party was named for the response one got when asking a member about the party’s activities: “I know nothing.” The party claimed responsibility for two violent acts of aggression against Catholics in Maine in the 1850s. One occurred in Ellsworth, when a priest named John Bapst was tarred and feathered and chased from the town in 1851. Bapst was a Swiss-born Jesuit who first came to the United States in 1848, and was soon sent to work with the Wabanaki because of his poor English. After spending time with the Penobscot in Old Town, he left for Eastport to work with the Passamaquoddy. Bapst established several temperance societies and he successfully converted large numbers of people, which attracted attention. He traveled the state for his work, and while in Ellsworth he denounced the
public schools for forcing Catholic children to use a Protestant bible. Soon thereafter, a resolution was passed at an Ellworth [sic] town meeting threatening him bodily harm if he returned. In October 1854, Bapst did return briefly, and was attacked, tarred and feathered, and run out of town. 12

There were a number of anti-Catholic riots that took place along the coast of Maine, including one in Bangor in 1834. In Bath, a riot broke out in 1854 while James S. Orr preached to an audience of over a thousand, blocking traffic on Commercial Street. The group became excited by his anti-Catholic talk, and soon a mob marched to the recently established Irish Catholic Church and after smashing pews, set it on fire. A year after the riot, on November 18, 1855, the Catholic Bishop of Portland attempted to lay the cornerstone for a new church on the same site, but the congregation8 was chased away and beaten. 13

Tensions increased as the conflict between Protestant temperance advocates and Irish immigrants rose. Irish Catholics felt that temperance ordinances and laws—the prime example of which was Maine’s temperance law passed in 1851, the first in the country—were a direct attack on their culture. All of these issues simmered under the surface for years, and provided fodder for the Klan when it finally made inroads into Maine in the early 1920s. << ---- from Maine's Gone Mad: the Rising of the Klan
Far removed geographically from Louisville but the same sort of xenophobic zealotry and where it leads when fueled by mob mentality.

IsaacNewton
OldLady

... Some fourteen or fifteen men were shot, including Officer Williams, Joe Selvage and others. Two or three were killed, and a number of houses, chiefly German coffee houses, broken into and pillaged. About 4 o'clock, a vast crowd armed with shotguns, muskets and rifles were proceeding to attack the new German parish of St. Martin of Tours on Shelby street. Mayor Barbee, himself a Know-Nothing, dissuaded them with and the mob returned to the First Ward polls. An hour afterwards the large brewery on Jefferson street, near the junction of Green, was set on fire.[3] Rev. Karl Boeswald was fatally injured by a hail of flying Stones while on his way to visit a dying parishioner.

Late in the afternoon three Irishmen going down Main street, near Eleventh, were attacked, and one knocked down. Irish in the neighborhood responded by firing repeated volleys from the windows of their houses on Main street. Mr. Rodes, a river-man, was shot and killed by one in the upper story, and a Mr. Graham met with a similar fate. An Irishman who discharged a pistol at the back of a man's head was shot and then hung but survived. After dusk, a row of frame houses on Main street between Tenth and Eleventh, the property of Mr. Quinn, a well known Irishman, were set on fire. The flames extended across the street and twelve buildings were destroyed. These houses were chiefly tenanted by Irish, and upon any of the tenants venturing out to escape the flames, they were immediately shot down. Those badly wounded by gun shot could not escape from the burning buildings.[3] (Wiki)

Louisville, Kentucky. Monday August 6, 1855. An election day, and the Nativist "Know Nothing" Party, a fearmongering hypernationalistic hair-on-fire bunch warning of the dire consequences of immigrants, had sent thugs out to stand Intimidation Patrol at the polling places. Targeted (this time) were Germans and Irish.

Background (in part):
>> Over a decade before Bloody Monday, the German editor of a Louisville newspaper urged his fellow immigrants to assert their right to vote by arming themselves as they headed to the polls to vote in the 1844 presidential election. The editor was later forced to flee after native-born U.S. citizens gathered in front of his office, but the “damage” was done. James K. Polk, a Democrat, won the election instead of Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, a member of the Whig party. The result of the election was blamed on the votes of German and Irish immigrants.

By 1849, a group called the National Central Union of Free Germans (NCUFG) was headquartered in Louisville, urging immigrants to retain their native language and customs. The NCUFG also promoted “wild” notions like women’s suffrage, the abolition of slavery, and equality for black men. The party that would soon be known as the Know-Nothings were infuriated because the immigrants weren’t conforming to their idea of how Americans should behave or think. << -- Bloody Monday

The end result left over a hundred businesses, homes vandalized, looted and/or burned, including an entire row of houses destroyed by fire, with a death toll estimated at anywhere from about 20 to over 100, with entire families trapped in their own houses where they burned to death.

>> Needless to say, the immigrants weren’t exactly happy about being prevented from voting. One man, George Berg, was beaten to death by a group of angry Irishmen, while a German man fired shots at a passing carriage on the corner of Shelby and Green Streets. After the first shots were fired, the Know-Nothings came out in uncontrollable mobs. They burned a whole row of houses in the Irish district, burning several people to death and hanging a few more before tossing the bodies into the flames. An old Irishman was pulled from his bed and killed for “being an Irishman and a Catholic.” << (ibid)​

Over ten thousand survivors packed up and left for other cities. So much so that the population drop closed still more businesses and cultural resources, causing Louisville to be eclipsed by then-comparable cities like Cincinnati and St. Louis, two of the major destinations to which the disgusted residents fled.

The Know Nothings were a short-lived nativist political party, staunchly opposed to immigrants and purporting to stand for pure Americanism. Their nickname came from the secrecy associated with it -- if one was questioned about the party he was supposed to reply, "I know nothing". Happily they died out soon after this incident, though not because of it, although the spirit of what they stood for would be revived and manifest in the 20th century Ku Klux Klan.. And some suggest, in the 2016 election.

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replies "I know nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

It's like trump was frozen in 1855 and then thawed out a year ago. Holly hell.
and pogo, who is pretending this op isn't a slam against trump, thanked your post.

Making this all the funnier

how subtle

It's like the lies trump tells are going to make people start killing police officers

oh wait, that was obama

On what basis did you rate the story as "funny"?
Do let the class know where the humor is in this.
you are comparing what happened to immigrants to what you are being told is happening to criminals.

you aren't comparing apples to apples, more like apples to concrete.

your attempt failed so poorly, that it was funny.

I posted nothing about "what I am being told is happening to criminals". Don't even know what the fuck you're talking about here.

What I actually asked you was, on what basis did you find this story "funny"?

I have a Great Aunt Nina, I'm more familiar with this story than you.

OH, a Great Aunt Nina. Well why didn't you say so, that changes everything.... :rolleyes:

Well I had an Uncle Roy so I win.
Ignorance is not bliss, but the internet can help you

no irish need apply - Google Search

You're pretending that criminal immigrants are the same as real ones. You are told they are the same and are dumb enough to agree w/o a single thought.

Background (in part):

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replies "I know nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

It's like trump was frozen in 1855 and then thawed out a year ago. Holly hell.
and pogo, who is pretending this op isn't a slam against trump, thanked your post.

Making this all the funnier

Trump's hair, now that's funny.

how subtle

It's like the lies trump tells are going to make people start killing police officers

oh wait, that was obama

you are comparing what happened to immigrants to what you are being told is happening to criminals.

I posted nothing about "what I am being told is happening to criminals". Don't even know what the fuck you're talking about here.

OH, a Great Aunt Nina. Well why didn't you say so, that changes everything.... :rolleyes:

You're pretending that criminal immigrants are the same as real ones. You are told they are the same and are dumb enough to agree w/o a single thought.

Number one, I need no introduction to "no Irish need apply". It's part of my heritage. Number two, at no point did I post, imply, intimate or suggest anything anywhere about "criminal immigrants", whatever that is, let alone draw a comparison. You completely made that up out of nothing. Apparently in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

Which I should add, also contains nothing about "criminal immigrants".

how subtle

oh wait, that was obama

Number one, I need no introduction to "no Irish need apply". It's part of my heritage. Number two, at no point did I post, imply, intimate or suggest anything anywhere about "criminal immigrants", whatever that is, let alone draw a comparison. You completely made that up out of nothing. Apparently in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

you are a very bad liar.

Not one person is fooled by any of this.

you are a very bad liar.

Not one person is fooled by any of this.

It's history. It's an accounting of things that actually happened, not something up for debate.

Go ahead, look it up and prove me wrong.

After 1856 the "Know Nothings" evolved into the pro-slavery American Party which in turn morphed into the Democrat party. Ironically the anti-immigration proponents in the party of Lincoln faded away when a massive influx of immigration by able bodied Irish men in the early 1860's benefited the North and they were able to draft the Irish practically off the boat to be used as cannon fodder by the Union Army. A hundred years later the know nothing religious bigot remnants in the democrat party were still fearful of Catholics and the proliferation of Catholic run schools throughout the Country in the 40's. An FDR appointed (former KKK member) Supreme Court justice wrote the majority opinion that invented a concept of Separation of Church and State which did not appear in the Constitution. The know nothings in the democrat party were finally able to circumvent the 1st Amendment and place federal control over religious institutions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back