This Day in History - Bloody Monday

how subtle

It's like the lies trump tells are going to make people start killing police officers

oh wait, that was obama

On what basis did you rate the story as "funny"?
Do let the class know where the humor is in this.
you are comparing what happened to immigrants to what you are being told is happening to criminals.

you aren't comparing apples to apples, more like apples to concrete.

your attempt failed so poorly, that it was funny.

I posted nothing about "what I am being told is happening to criminals". Don't even know what the fuck you're talking about here.

What I actually asked you was, on what basis did you find this story "funny"?

I have a Great Aunt Nina, I'm more familiar with this story than you.

OH, a Great Aunt Nina. Well why didn't you say so, that changes everything.... :rolleyes:

Well I had an Uncle Roy so I win.

... Some fourteen or fifteen men were shot, including Officer Williams, Joe Selvage and others. Two or three were killed, and a number of houses, chiefly German coffee houses, broken into and pillaged. About 4 o'clock, a vast crowd armed with shotguns, muskets and rifles were proceeding to attack the new German parish of St. Martin of Tours on Shelby street. Mayor Barbee, himself a Know-Nothing, dissuaded them with and the mob returned to the First Ward polls. An hour afterwards the large brewery on Jefferson street, near the junction of Green, was set on fire.[3] Rev. Karl Boeswald was fatally injured by a hail of flying Stones while on his way to visit a dying parishioner.

Late in the afternoon three Irishmen going down Main street, near Eleventh, were attacked, and one knocked down. Irish in the neighborhood responded by firing repeated volleys from the windows of their houses on Main street. Mr. Rodes, a river-man, was shot and killed by one in the upper story, and a Mr. Graham met with a similar fate. An Irishman who discharged a pistol at the back of a man's head was shot and then hung but survived. After dusk, a row of frame houses on Main street between Tenth and Eleventh, the property of Mr. Quinn, a well known Irishman, were set on fire. The flames extended across the street and twelve buildings were destroyed. These houses were chiefly tenanted by Irish, and upon any of the tenants venturing out to escape the flames, they were immediately shot down. Those badly wounded by gun shot could not escape from the burning buildings.[3] (Wiki)

Louisville, Kentucky. Monday August 6, 1855. An election day, and the Nativist "Know Nothing" Party, a fearmongering hypernationalistic hair-on-fire bunch warning of the dire consequences of immigrants, had sent thugs out to stand Intimidation Patrol at the polling places. Targeted (this time) were Germans and Irish.

Background (in part):
>> Over a decade before Bloody Monday, the German editor of a Louisville newspaper urged his fellow immigrants to assert their right to vote by arming themselves as they headed to the polls to vote in the 1844 presidential election. The editor was later forced to flee after native-born U.S. citizens gathered in front of his office, but the “damage” was done. James K. Polk, a Democrat, won the election instead of Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, a member of the Whig party. The result of the election was blamed on the votes of German and Irish immigrants.

By 1849, a group called the National Central Union of Free Germans (NCUFG) was headquartered in Louisville, urging immigrants to retain their native language and customs. The NCUFG also promoted “wild” notions like women’s suffrage, the abolition of slavery, and equality for black men. The party that would soon be known as the Know-Nothings were infuriated because the immigrants weren’t conforming to their idea of how Americans should behave or think. << -- Bloody Monday

The end result left over a hundred businesses, homes vandalized, looted and/or burned, including an entire row of houses destroyed by fire, with a death toll estimated at anywhere from about 20 to over 100, with entire families trapped in their own houses where they burned to death.

>> Needless to say, the immigrants weren’t exactly happy about being prevented from voting. One man, George Berg, was beaten to death by a group of angry Irishmen, while a German man fired shots at a passing carriage on the corner of Shelby and Green Streets. After the first shots were fired, the Know-Nothings came out in uncontrollable mobs. They burned a whole row of houses in the Irish district, burning several people to death and hanging a few more before tossing the bodies into the flames. An old Irishman was pulled from his bed and killed for “being an Irishman and a Catholic.” << (ibid)​

Over ten thousand survivors packed up and left for other cities. So much so that the population drop closed still more businesses and cultural resources, causing Louisville to be eclipsed by then-comparable cities like Cincinnati and St. Louis, two of the major destinations to which the disgusted residents fled.

The Know Nothings were a short-lived nativist political party, staunchly opposed to immigrants and purporting to stand for pure Americanism. Their nickname came from the secrecy associated with it -- if one was questioned about the party he was supposed to reply, "I know nothing". Happily they died out soon after this incident, though not because of it, although the spirit of what they stood for would be revived and manifest in the 20th century Ku Klux Klan.. And some suggest, in the 2016 election.

Those who ignore their own history.....

Informative thanks, but quit trying to say legal and illegal immigrants are the same thing

Extra words put in my post, thanks but I'll write my own.

Pogo I know what your motive, narrative and theme is.

Dude you really can't bullshit a bullshiter.

Again --- that wasn't your post. It was Bear's.

Does no one even know how to read quotes around here? Are we infested with Know Nothings?

Who are you referring too?

I know exactly why you posted this day in history..

All of us are children or grandchildren of immigrants. Mine were legal. Mine never flew their former countrys flags over ours. Mine never demanded rights because they came from somewhere else.

My Baba (from the Uk side of life) loved to talk to me in English instead of Ukrainian. She loved to excel in her ability to converse in English as a Canuk.

Most of these that come today have some warped sense of entitlement. Note most. Not a blanket statement.

Hope she taught you Ukrainian as well. More knowledge is never a bad thing.

Again though, this event had nothing to do with anybody's status as "legal" or "illegal". Never came up. It has to do with dividing people into "us" and "them" camps, usually based on culture -- legal status being irrelevant to that.

And the consequences of what that leads to.

... Some fourteen or fifteen men were shot, including Officer Williams, Joe Selvage and others. Two or three were killed, and a number of houses, chiefly German coffee houses, broken into and pillaged. About 4 o'clock, a vast crowd armed with shotguns, muskets and rifles were proceeding to attack the new German parish of St. Martin of Tours on Shelby street. Mayor Barbee, himself a Know-Nothing, dissuaded them with and the mob returned to the First Ward polls. An hour afterwards the large brewery on Jefferson street, near the junction of Green, was set on fire.[3] Rev. Karl Boeswald was fatally injured by a hail of flying Stones while on his way to visit a dying parishioner.

Late in the afternoon three Irishmen going down Main street, near Eleventh, were attacked, and one knocked down. Irish in the neighborhood responded by firing repeated volleys from the windows of their houses on Main street. Mr. Rodes, a river-man, was shot and killed by one in the upper story, and a Mr. Graham met with a similar fate. An Irishman who discharged a pistol at the back of a man's head was shot and then hung but survived. After dusk, a row of frame houses on Main street between Tenth and Eleventh, the property of Mr. Quinn, a well known Irishman, were set on fire. The flames extended across the street and twelve buildings were destroyed. These houses were chiefly tenanted by Irish, and upon any of the tenants venturing out to escape the flames, they were immediately shot down. Those badly wounded by gun shot could not escape from the burning buildings.[3] (Wiki)

Louisville, Kentucky. Monday August 6, 1855. An election day, and the Nativist "Know Nothing" Party, a fearmongering hypernationalistic hair-on-fire bunch warning of the dire consequences of immigrants, had sent thugs out to stand Intimidation Patrol at the polling places. Targeted (this time) were Germans and Irish.

Background (in part):
>> Over a decade before Bloody Monday, the German editor of a Louisville newspaper urged his fellow immigrants to assert their right to vote by arming themselves as they headed to the polls to vote in the 1844 presidential election. The editor was later forced to flee after native-born U.S. citizens gathered in front of his office, but the “damage” was done. James K. Polk, a Democrat, won the election instead of Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, a member of the Whig party. The result of the election was blamed on the votes of German and Irish immigrants.

By 1849, a group called the National Central Union of Free Germans (NCUFG) was headquartered in Louisville, urging immigrants to retain their native language and customs. The NCUFG also promoted “wild” notions like women’s suffrage, the abolition of slavery, and equality for black men. The party that would soon be known as the Know-Nothings were infuriated because the immigrants weren’t conforming to their idea of how Americans should behave or think. << -- Bloody Monday

The end result left over a hundred businesses, homes vandalized, looted and/or burned, including an entire row of houses destroyed by fire, with a death toll estimated at anywhere from about 20 to over 100, with entire families trapped in their own houses where they burned to death.

>> Needless to say, the immigrants weren’t exactly happy about being prevented from voting. One man, George Berg, was beaten to death by a group of angry Irishmen, while a German man fired shots at a passing carriage on the corner of Shelby and Green Streets. After the first shots were fired, the Know-Nothings came out in uncontrollable mobs. They burned a whole row of houses in the Irish district, burning several people to death and hanging a few more before tossing the bodies into the flames. An old Irishman was pulled from his bed and killed for “being an Irishman and a Catholic.” << (ibid)​

Over ten thousand survivors packed up and left for other cities. So much so that the population drop closed still more businesses and cultural resources, causing Louisville to be eclipsed by then-comparable cities like Cincinnati and St. Louis, two of the major destinations to which the disgusted residents fled.

The Know Nothings were a short-lived nativist political party, staunchly opposed to immigrants and purporting to stand for pure Americanism. Their nickname came from the secrecy associated with it -- if one was questioned about the party he was supposed to reply, "I know nothing". Happily they died out soon after this incident, though not because of it, although the spirit of what they stood for would be revived and manifest in the 20th century Ku Klux Klan.. And some suggest, in the 2016 election.

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replied "I now nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

It's like trump was frozen in 1855 and then thawed out a year ago. Holly hell.

It's quite like that indeed. That's what this article said.

And this one -- Is Rump Turning GOP Into Know Nothing Party?

And this Republican noted the same thing.

As did this editorial from Europe

And this observation from last year.

Clearly the comparison is visible to those with eyes to see. That's why I post these occasional historical callbacks with the tagline "those who ignore their own history..." :)

Background (in part):

Informative thanks, but quit trying to say legal and illegal immigrants are the same thing

Does no one even know how to read quotes around here? Are we infested with Know Nothings?

So do I. Because it's August 6, the anniversary thereof. That's uh--- kind of why the title is "THIS DAY in history".

Background (in part):

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replied "I now nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

It's quite like that indeed. That's what this article said.

And this one -- Is Rump Turning GOP Into Know Nothing Party?

And this Republican noted the same thing.

As did this editorial from Europe

And this observation from last year.

Clearly the comparison is visible to those with eyes to see. That's why I post these occasional historical callbacks with the tagline "those who ignore their own history..." :)

I hadn't heard of this party before but holly shit it's like history not only repeats itself but it's like it is reincarnated exactly as it was back then. Send this off to the DNC, or one of the Super Pacs, this would make for a great web ad.

So do I. Because it's August 6, the anniversary thereof. That's uh--- kind of why the title is "THIS DAY in history".

Uhm ok, but I know you ..

You are a silly transplant notherner who thinks all big city politics would be the same either ran by the cons or liberals and ran for the hills of north Carolina

And making the destroyed blue states city pay for your crime..of voting for democrats.

So you can live the rest of your days in in a republican controlled paradise.

Background (in part):

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replies "I know nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

Newton. Trump broke the race and religion barrier in Palm Beach. Mar a Lago. Trump embraced Jews and Blacks to his club just beating down all the shit Palm Beach had going on for years.

Stop the shit that he's a bigot and a racist.

You are a silly transplant notherner who thinks all big city politics would be the same either ran by the cons or liberals and ran for the hills of north Carolina

And making the destroyed blue states city pay for your crime..of voting for democrats.

:lmao: I never gave you the whole story. I've been everywhere, man. From California to France. I moved here by choice, because I already knew these hills. And as far as "Repubican (it's capitalized yanno) controlled", this was the area of Carolina that voted for Bernie so..... :eusa_hand:

"Voting for Democrats" (it's capitalized yanno) isn't a crime, nor do you know who I vote for anyway. And zero of this has any relevance to the topic at all. Your original comment was something about "legal" versus "illegal" --- which appears in the story exactly nowhere. So you tried to derail it off to somewhere it never was, and I won't let you do that. :nono:

Background (in part):

The Know-Nothing Party, who when questioned about the party replies "I know nothing", also known as the Sgt. Schultz party.

Newton. Trump broke the race and religion barrier in Palm Beach. Mar a Lago. Trump embraced Jews and Blacks to his club just beating down all the shit Palm Beach had going on for years.

He's a time traveller from the Know-Nothing Party of the 1850's.

But yeah, someone calling an entire country like Mexico rapists and criminals isn't racist. He was just extending some good 'ol fashion trump hospitality.

If only you knew the history of big unlimited government.
The OP is about armed terror against Americans shot, hung, burned in their homes, because they were immigrants or the children of immigrants. That is entirely bad enough for a start.
----------------------------------- immigrants suck , see what so called immigrants of muslim religion are doing to Europe with their murder , rape and mayhem OldLady .

The point here, for those above whose heads it sails, is what this dynamic does to people like Guillermo Rodriguez.

:lmao: I never gave you the whole story. I've been everywhere, man. From California to France. I moved here by choice, because I already knew these hills. And as far as "Repubican (it's capitalized yanno) controlled", this was the area of Carolina that voted for Bernie so..... :eusa_hand:

"Voting for Democrats" (it's capitalized yanno) isn't a crime, nor do you know who I vote for anyway. And zero of this has any relevance to the topic at all. Your original comment was something about "legal" versus "illegal" --- which appears in the story exactly nowhere. So you tried to derail it off to somewhere it never was, and I won't let you do that. :nono:

I have been everywhere to my friend Japan, Ireland, Germany born in Chicago, lived in spruce pines NC, Arizona , mrytle beach SC, Georgia and upstate of south Carolina

So again my question remains why did you leave your precious Union and democrat dominated blue city's for a republican controlled county of North Carolina?

Because you got yours and you know where the greener places was?

Background (in part):

But yeah, someone calling an entire country like Mexico rapists and criminals isn't racist. He was just extending some good 'ol fashion trump hospitality.

She's trying (lamely) to play the "you played the racist card" card. Never mind that nobody played it.

What they don't seem to get is that it's not necessary to be a racist, or a bigot, to milk that sentiment out of the public. Rump isn't necessarily a racist or bigot himself, because expressing bigotry isn't the point ---- inciting others to express it on his behalf so that he can suck up the energy is the point. He plays them like three dollar banjos and they obediently go "twang twang Master, may we have another". That's what Rump does -- creates outside dynamics that he then steps in and profits from personally, regardless who gets hurt in the process -- because it's all entirely about Numero Uno.

I have been everywhere to my friend Japan, Ireland, Germany born in Chicago, lived in spruce pines NC, Arizona , mrytle beach SC, Georgia and upstate of south Carolina

So again my question remains why did you leave your precious Union and democrat dominated blue city's for a republican controlled county of North Carolina?

Once again --- I'm not in a "Republican (it's capitalized yanno) controlled county". I know Spruce Pine, it's quite close (and it's singular -- Spruce Pine -- and again, it gets a capital letter) And btw the places I referred to where places I've actually lived, not just visited.

I didn't leave "my precious Union" -- I'm a bilatitudinal halfbreed. I've been straddling the Mason Dixon line since literally before I could walk. I'm bilingual in American English dialects and now, in Appalachia, working on trilingual. I don't look at cities as "Democrat (it's capitalized yanno) dominated" because I already know that sort of thing is irrelevant on the city level, nor does it affect how I live in one. And the reason I came here originally was named Katrina, although I like all Katrinites I could have gone anywhere from Mexico to Nova Scotia, and I chose this area deliberately. I could have returned too, and did for work many a time temporarily --- but why would anyone live in a city if they don't have to?

So I live in the woods for the same reason a dog licks his balls--- because I can.

-------------------------- the biggest most murderous entities on earth have been governments , many of them elected governments elected by the people but then those same governments turned around and murdered the people that had elected them . I think that happened in Germany in the 1930s . Millions were killed Pogo .
Government, whether ruled by elected leader, dictator, or monarch is responsible for more death, suffering, and destruction than any other thing EVER devised by man...yet few know this and we continue to allow government more power and authority.

-------------------------- the biggest most murderous entities on earth have been governments , many of them elected governments elected by the people but then those same governments turned around and murdered the people that had elected them . I think that happened in Germany in the 1930s . Millions were killed Pogo .
Government, whether ruled by elected leader, dictator, or monarch is responsible for more death, suffering, and destruction than any other thing EVER devised by man...yet few know this and we continue to allow government more power and authority.

This is related in any way to the topic --- how exactly?

This is related in any way to the topic --- how exactly?
It is not exactly.

Once again --- I'm not in a "Republican (it's capitalized yanno) controlled county". I know Spruce Pine, it's quite close (and it's singular -- Spruce Pine -- and again, it gets a capital letter) And btw the places I referred to where places I've actually lived, not just visited.

I didn't leave "my precious Union" -- I'm a bilatitudinal halfbreed. I've been straddling the Mason Dixon line since literally before I could walk. I'm bilingual in American English dialects and now, in Appalachia, working on trilingual. I don't look at cities as "Democrat (it's capitalized yanno) dominated" because I already know that sort of thing is irrelevant on the city level, nor does it affect how I live in one. And the reason I came here originally was named Katrina, although I like all Katrinites I could have gone anywhere from Mexico to Nova Scotia, and I chose this area deliberately. I could have returned too, and did for work many a time temporarily --- but why would anyone live in a city if they don't have to?
So I live in the woods for the same reason a dog licks his balls--- because I can.
/QUOTE]

I also mentioned the places I lived

Exactly hypocrite just like all the rest of you liberal swine, you know and realize you comprehend that you made a cluster fuck in the blue democrat controlled states and city's ..

So you went for freedom of republican controlled states ..

Yet still post nonsense that liberals are better..at running the government.

How do you sleep at night knowing what you say is the exact opposite of what party you run to for help?

Background (in part):

She's trying (lamely) to play the "you played the racist card" card. Never mind that nobody played it.

What they don't seem to get is that it's not necessary to be a racist, or a bigot, to milk that sentiment out of the public. Rump isn't necessarily a racist or bigot himself, because expressing bigotry isn't the point ---- inciting others to express it on his behalf so that he can suck up the energy is the point. He plays them like three dollar banjos and they obediently go "twang twang Master, may we have another". That's what Rump does -- creates outside dynamics that he then steps in and profits from personally, regardless who gets hurt in the process -- because it's all entirely about Numero Uno.

The "marketing" technique of race baiting -- as opposed to racism -- is as old as the proverbial hills. The Klan of the 1920s used exactly the same strategy to milk money off of memberships and robes and regalia that they sold. It's called opportunism, and it doesn't require actually being a racist or bigot to execute it. All it requires is a callous disregard for the consequences of one's actions in the interest of self-profit.

Rump may or may not be a racist or even a bigot. That part is irrelevant, because what he is is a master baiter. As were the Know Nothings of 160 years ago. They fizzled out as an entity but the caustic spirit behind them never did.

Forum List

Back