Happy Anniversary

Billy_Kinetta

Paladin of the Lost Hour
Mar 4, 2013
A wise decision.

1945-08-07-New-York-Times-headlines.jpg

Are you celebrating destruction or the end of the war?

Are you celebrating destruction or the end of the war?

End of the war. It saved my uncles all kinds of inconvenience.
My Dad got to come home, too. His aircraft carrier was kamakazi'd first, though.
Ironic that the most powerfully destructive force on the planet has actually held the super powers back from all out war. Evil can do good things in spite of itself.

saved hundreds of thousands of lives

Speculation.

True, but it seemed to be the best choice. That much destruction and loss of lives should never be seen as a good thing though.
It seemed very clear that the option was genocide as the 'Japs' [sic] didn't surrender.

Do we have to go through the history of the period again?
The Decision to Drop the Bomb [ushistory.org]

we would have to kill 2 million soldiers and countless civilians, not to mention the suicides.

Do we have to go through the history of the period again?

I am not one to "chastise" or blame folks for the "sins of the father" crap. I have in-laws that are Japanese and have as much respect and love for them as if they were from Peoria. I have watched my Father-in-law who was stationed at Wheeler Army Airfield on Dec, 7th 1941 sit down and break bread with my Brother-in-laws Father who was in the Japanese Navy on a Aircraft Carrier. These men were able to put the past behind them and enjoyed the same grandchildren. Google Wheeler Army Air Field and find the significance to the story.

Evidence That Japan Was Going to Surrender | The Classroom | Synonym

While there is some accuracy to the link you have provided, I don't feel the U.S. Military and Allies Tacticians were able to wrap their heads around a Japanese surrender with out a significant show of force. The combat that lead up to the first of August, 1945 had been absolutely horrific with a very small amount of Japanese Military even contemplating surrender. The cost of taking the Japanese Military apparatus was going to be devastating to U.S and Allied lives.

BBC - History - World Wars: Japan: No Surrender in World War Two

A Question for the Imperial Japanese Army | HistoryNet

These links were very insightful...

Put 2 individuals in a room and there will be a disagreement. Ultimately one man made the decision and I am sure he had just as many advisors telling him it had to be done.

Let’s end where we began, with the question, “What were you guys thinking?” This was a war that Japan had a very small chance of winning. My (admittedly) non-scientific estimate would place it at 10 percent, maybe less. Your mileage may vary.

So, what were they thinking? I’m a historian, so you probably suspect how I’m going to answer this question. The key to Japan’s performance in World War II, perhaps even its decision to launch such a “senseless” war in the first place, lies in the past. The distant past

If the admirals and generals thought we should continue the war that is their belief.
But to the soldiers, sailors marines, that were make to make the invasions, and their families it was the right decision.

Put 2 individuals in a room and there will be a disagreement. Ultimately one man made the decision and I am sure he had just as many advisors telling him it had to be done.

Let’s end where we began, with the question, “What were you guys thinking?” This was a war that Japan had a very small chance of winning. My (admittedly) non-scientific estimate would place it at 10 percent, maybe less. Your mileage may vary.

So, what were they thinking? I’m a historian, so you probably suspect how I’m going to answer this question. The key to Japan’s performance in World War II, perhaps even its decision to launch such a “senseless” war in the first place, lies in the past. The distant past

Japan needed resources. The Japanese knew they could not win but they would capture all the land possible and make the Americans pay such a heavy price to recapture that we would negotiate surrender terms letting them keep the resource land they needed.

Japan needed resources. The Japanese knew they could not win but they would capture all the land possible and make the Americans pay such a heavy price to recapture that we would negotiate surrender terms letting them keep the resource land they needed.

In my estimation probably the biggest Military blunder of the Century and possibly ever... I will more than likely regret saying that, but hey it's out there now...

Forum List

Back