This coming June 10th, Will Be 53rd Anniversary of Democrats Filibuster of 1964 Civil Rights Act

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Yep, The Democrats war on Civil Rights has morphed into a war against almost all Americans Civil Rights using Reverse Discrimination, aka anti-White discrimination, but it is their party's specialty in politics, racial favoritism in government and this will be a significant milestone in their race baiting strategem.

How will you celebrate it?

Maybe having a watermelon party or a Frito nacho luncheon, or perhaps something else?

Maybe watching some Al Joleson in black face singing Swanee River?

I always do, it's two days of birthdays, never know what we'll watch..or burn..or shoot..

The 1964 CRA was ioppsodsed by legislators from the South and supported by legislators outside the Sojuth.

Tou are being dishonest to blame the Democrat Party as it was HHH who helped overcome that filibuster (67 votes)/

I understand how you lying Republicans want to paint Democrats as being racists & citing the CRA of 1964. But it was regional. 100% of the Republican legislators in the South voted against it.

I also understand how you need to hide the idea that the racists are primarily Republican. Trump used this to win the election.

I always do, it's two days of birthdays, never know what we'll watch..or burn..or shoot..

The 1964 CRA was ioppsodsed by legislators from the South and supported by legislators outside the Sojuth.

Tou are being dishonest to blame the Democrat Party as it was HHH who helped overcome that filibuster (67 votes)/

I understand how you lying Republicans want to paint Democrats as being racists & citing the CRA of 1964. But it was regional. 100% of the Republican legislators in the South voted against it.

I also understand how you need to hide the idea that the racists are primarily Republican. Trump used this to win the election.
I was like 3 years old, I doubt anything I said, Congress would listen to..

33 rd anniversary of 1964 Civil Rights act.....that would make this year 1997

Where did all the time go?

I love these threads...

50 years ago southern Democrats opposed Civil Rights
150 years ago southern Democrats opposed Abolition

All while ignoring that TODAYS Republicans north, south, east and west oppose affirmative action, oppose voter rights, oppose gay rights and support the flying of the Confederate Flag

I love these threads...

50 years ago southern Democrats opposed Civil Rights
150 years ago southern Democrats opposed Abolition

All while ignoring that TODAYS Republicans north, south, east and west oppose affirmative action, oppose voter rights, oppose gay rights and support the flying of the Confederate Flag
But it's different, that was then, this is now..

Indeed. That opposition was broken by Hubert Humphrey, Everett Dirksen and Mike Mansfield all working together.

>> 80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill. Less than 70% of Democrats did. Indeed, Minority Leader Republican Everett Dirksen led the fight to end the filibuster. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Richard Russell of Georgia and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina tried as hard as they could to sustain a filibuster.

Of course, it was also Democrats who helped usher the bill through the House, Senate, and ultimately a Democratic president who signed it into law. The bill wouldn't have passed without the support of Majority Leader Mike Mansfield of Montana, a Democrat. Majority Whip Hubert Humphrey, who basically split the Democratic party in two with his 1948 Democratic National Convention speech calling for equal rights for all, kept tabs on individual members to ensure the bill had the numbers to overcome the filibuster.

Put another way, party affiliation seems to be somewhat predictive, but something seems to be missing. So, what factor did best predicting voting?

You don't need to know too much history to understand that the South from the civil war to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 tended to be opposed to minority rights. This factor was separate from party identification or ideology. We can easily control for this variable by breaking up the voting by those states that were part of the confederacy and those that were not.​

regioncivlrights.jpeg

You can see that geography was far more predictive of voting coalitions on the Civil Rights than party affiliation. What linked Dirksen and Mansfield was the fact that they weren't from the south. In fact, 90% of members of Congress from states (or territories) that were part of the Union voted in favor of the act, while less than 10% of members of Congress from the old Confederate states voted for it. This 80pt difference between regions is far greater than the 15pt difference between parties.

But what happens when we control for both party affiliation and region? As Sean Trende noted earlier this year, "sometimes relationships become apparent only after you control for other factors".​

bothcivilrights.jpeg

In this case, it becomes clear that Democrats in the north and the south were more likely to vote for the bill than Republicans in the north and south respectively. This difference in both houses is statistically significant with over 95% confidence. It just so happened southerners made up a larger percentage of the Democratic than Republican caucus, which created the initial impression than Republicans were more in favor of the act.

Nearly 100% of Union state Democrats supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act compared to 85% of Republicans. None of the southern Republicans voted for the bill, while a small percentage of southern Democrats did.

The same pattern holds true when looking at ideology instead of party affiliation. The folks over at Voteview.com, who created DW-nominate scores to measure the ideology of congressmen and senators, found that the more liberal a congressman or senator was the more likely he would vote for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, once one controlled for a factor closely linked to geography.<< -- The Guardian, noting the same history I've been noting on these pages for the entire time I've been here

-- So of course the OP's being dishonest. That's his gig here. What's more, he copied his OP from a Gateway Plopper page five years old. Five years he could have been doing five minutes' worth of reasearch that would have saved him looking like an idiot.

Just after this historic vote went down, Strom Thurmond was so pissed he went and did what was unthinkable in the white South for exactly 99 years --- joined the Republicans. He could see he was going to get nowhere with Democrats. Kinda already knew that from 16 years prior but the DP was the only game in town.

Last edited:
But it's different, that was then, this is now..

Republican oppose affirmative action that uses racial quotas as discriminatory.

Republicans oppose voter fraud and want Voter ID laws as every other civilized democracy on Earth has and Dimms whine about it being opposition to voter rights, when guarding the validity of the vote is fundamental to voters rights.

Republicans support real marriage which Dimms distort as opposing gay rights.

Republicans support the flying of the Confederate Flag as part of regional history and the right to self expression, while wannabe Dimmocrat fascists want everyone to think alike and ban any dissent.

Forum List

Back