Thinking of Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by Annie, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Contrary to Dante's wishes, we will be having a big ole turkey. Yummm!

Luckily for me, I don't have to cook it. I am making my au gratin potatoes. Trade secret on them. ;)

However, using this mix:

[​IMG]

Making a wonderful pumpkin cheesecake. Super easy, one change to recipe though; whip the cream cheese and sugar together, before adding the eggs and mix.

The other night went to Trader Joe's 10th anniversary and had the most wonderful dessert bite. Just a bit of this:

[​IMG]

on top of this:

[​IMG]

OMG! So good!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Thinking of Thanksgiving?

frankly annie, I am trying NOT to think of thanksgiving ;) ...I have to make 3 trays of lasagna this weekend. Oy and get other stuff ready.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I usually have Christmas, don't see how I'm going to be able to afford it this year, so my brother will have it, I'm sure. Heck knowing him and his wife, we'll probably go shopping and I'll still cook. ;)

I love Thanksgiving, but it's a lot of work. Christmas is better, lots of appetizers, simple meal. :lol:

4. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Pura Vida

Thanks Received:
    Florida, but would rather be in TX or Costa Rica
    Ratings:
    +15
    Potatoes au gratin! Heavenly.

I am looking forward to my mom's sweet potato casserole. It's a holiday favorite of mine!

5. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Potatoes au gratin? heck yea I am down on that....

6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,702
    How does she make it?

7. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

I know just how you feel. I love doing all of this too. I do three full blown dinners in one week. One the saturday before thanksgiving...one the day of...and one the following saturday. :eek: yes i am crazy!

:)

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I love having friends and family over, especially at the holidays. I've always focused on making 'from scratch' items for one or two courses. At Christmas it's always the hors d'oeuvres and desserts. I'll just cook the roast or ham with minimal prep., buy frozen veggies doctor them up a bit, and yes, will still make the au grautins, (but assemble them the day before), along with some mashed potatoes. I grab rolls at the bakery.

Most of the hors d'oeuvres that are complex can be made ahead, then heated the day of. The rest are easy, I mean how hard is it to cook some shrimp? ;)

For small gatherings I like to make either something comforting or little bites we can pick up as we're talking.

Last night one I had a friend over, her husband is in Brazil for business. I made Swedish Meatballs over noodles. Salad and wine. Perfect.

Now what was funny, seems my son had the same idea for entertaining a girl he's dating. He was like, "Mom, when are you going to be done? Michelle is on her way over and I told her I'd make Chicken Cacciatore!" I told him I'd made enough for 6 people, he was, "No. Swedish Meatballs aren't romantic!" ;) I taught my kids well.

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,926
    thanksgiving is the big meal here....

make it all from scratch...except for the turkey....

but come on its easy....cranberry sauce...easy....mashed taters...easy....green beans...easy....sweet tater casserole..easy...pumpkin pie...easy...i am thinking maybe a coconut cake...but then again..if i am working we may go out to eat...hate to do it...lot depends on mom...will she co operate or ruin thanksgiving...we shall see...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,358
    Neither my wife or I are big turkey fans so it's the smallest shank or butt ham I can find, stuff it with cabbage and onions, wrap it up in cheese cloth and boil it for 25 min per pound. When it's done cut away the cheese cloth, grab the bone and pull it out. The meat just falls apart.