THINK people.. how much water is 385 billion tons of ice?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by healthmyths, Feb 23, 2012.

1. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I've asked this simple arithmetic question in another thread but I think it doesn't strike home so I'm sharing again..
    ALGore/global warming people are concerned about melting ice caps/glaciers etc right?
    NASA calculates over 385 billion tons of ice melt into the ocean every year.

HOW MUCH of that water is added to the oceans?

.000056% of the total 343 quintillion gallons in all the oceans!

That's the same as 10 oz of water in a 648,000 gallon swimming pool!

NOW folks.. tell me again what will be the sea level changes going to be if over the next 200 years a total of the equivalent of adding 31 gallons to a 648,000 gallon pool?

I'm trying to picture a 648,000 pool with 31 more gallons added to it???

2. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Folks this exercise is simply to get people THINKING.. logically and rationally!

This exercise in simple arithmetic SHOULD be done FREQUENTLY by people especially those supposedly so smart!
    Case in point WE ARE ALL being affected by higher gas prices today WHY?
    For ONE reason a 345,000 barrels per day refinery in St. Croix will be going off line forever!
    Why ? Because the OBAMA administration was going to fine them millions for very minute air
    violations and the owners said.."to hell with it!" The cost of re-fitting,etc.. just wasn't worth it so they are closing it down, costing 1,500 jobs and taking 345,000 barrels off line in the future.
    HENCE oil speculators betting the supplies will get tighter have raised prices!
    All because some stupid US Obama govt worker wanted to fine one of those EVIL OIL companies!

I've got MORE examples of how Obama especially is doing EVERYTHING possible to destroy our economy!

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    A lot.

4. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    On a smaller scale Obama's EPA cost this community jobs!!!

“If they want to create jobs, provide health insurance, and increase revenue,” Bryant said in reference to the federal government,
    “they need to back down on the regulatory burden. It’s like pulling an iron ball with a chain.
    I’m not saying to make it go away—just the stuff that’s not pertinent or useful.”
    Terry Douglas, who owns two mines in Jasper with Bryant, said it costs them about $250,000 per mine in permit fees alone and that paperwork and regulatory inspections are a constant presence (as well as an additional revenue strain). When asked about typical concerns surrounding coal mining—including companies skirting health and safety regulations—Douglas said it “doesn’t make sense” to let safety lapse and risk losing miners to illness or injury when it would only cost more to train new personnel.
    “We take care of our equipment and take care of our people,” Douglas said. “The regulations make coal miners out to be criminals; but we’re not outlaws. Coal mining is an art. I have a civil engineering degree; Ronnie has a mining engineering degree. It’s not wildcat whiskey we’re making; this is drinking whiskey we got.”
    Bryant pointed to less stringent environmental regulations in countries such as China, saying that the U.S. is falling behind even though it has abundant resources. “But you can’t get to them,” he said, adding that while there are concerns over dwindling wildlife populations, “people are becoming the endangered species.”
    Gwendolyn Keyes Fleming, regional administrator for EPA’s Southeast Region, attended the Birmingham public hearing but could not be reached for comment.
    Businessman Ronnie Bryant Tells Feds – ‘I’m Just Quitting’ | TheBlaze.com

5. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Two new EPA pollution regulations will slam the coal industry so hard that hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost, and electric rates will skyrocket 11 percent to over 23 percent, Overall, the rules aimed at making the air cleaner could cost the coal-fired power plant industry $180 billion."
    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...8/coal-regs-would-kill-jobs-boost-energy-bill

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,742
    How much more precious is freshwater than saltwater. Losing a glacier is like losing an aquifer. It's all important, every single drop.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,780
    The point is that we didn't do it. Ice core samples show wild fluctuations in earth's climate over the last 100,000 years. In fact some scientists think we are just now emerging from a mini-ice age. It's good news for everyone but the left who thrive on bad news and extortion.

8. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,742
    5.4 million cubic feet

40.4 million gallons

153,000 cubic meters

What the Miss. river discharges in about 1 1/2 minutes.

9. TruthSeeker56

TruthSeeker56 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    If you want to see higher water levels and widespread flooding, just push Al Gore into an ocean and learn all about "water displacement". :cool:

10. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,997