They Can't Believe It

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
It's not their marketing that is killing sales of their wines. Tis true that other countries, especially Australia and the US, have come up with some really great wines. The problem with the French to a large degree, is that many Americans WON'T BUY their products anymore:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1268678,00.html

Excerpt:

Measures designed to counter international confusion over the labelling of French wine have been drawn up, aimed at cutting out the elitism inherent in a system that expects consumers to be familiar with approximately 466 different wine-growing areas in France in order to make a good choice.

The complexity of the current arrangement is thought to be scar ing off enormous numbers of wine-buyers around the world, at a time when the industry needs them.

If the government's plan is adopted, wine-buyers will be able to select cheaper bottles according to their grape type - Chardonnay or Merlot, for example - rather than by the AOC (Appellation d'Origine Controlée) that indicates precisely where the wine comes from.

If I drank wine, which I dont', but if I did, it'd be a cold day in Hell before I bought any wine from the frogs. I don't care if the bottle was aged 100 years and has 3,762 different kinds of grapes in it. In fact, I've given up Spaghettios since the company that makes them is "Franco-American."

P.S. Please tell me if Franco-American isn't actually French, because I love Spaghettios.

Hobbit said:
If I drank wine, which I dont', but if I did, it'd be a cold day in Hell before I bought any wine from the frogs. I don't care if the bottle was aged 100 years and has 3,762 different kinds of grapes in it. In fact, I've given up Spaghettios since the company that makes them is "Franco-American."

P.S. Please tell me if Franco-American isn't actually French, because I love Spaghettios.

While I didn't look up Campbell's, I think you're safe:

http://www.campbellsoup.com/fa_our_brands.asp?cpovisq=

Hobbit said:

I believe Franco-American was actually named in honor of that great relief pitcher, John Franco (another stalwart player the Cincinnati Reds let slip away; you could field a championship team with those). And every time he saves a game, a can of Spaghetti-o's is donated to starving children in Indiana. So, by all means - enjoy!

Hobbit said:

I think you're safe. Campbell's bought Franco-American in 1915. Started making Spaghettio's in 1960. There are 1,750 O's in each 15 oz. can....approx 30 ft. Salt Lake City, Utah is considered the Spaghettio Capital of the World consuming 3 million servings per year.

Joz said:
I think you're safe. Campbell's bought Franco-American in 1915. Started making Spaghettio's in 1960. There are 1,750 O's in each 15 oz. can....approx 30 ft. Salt Lake City, Utah is considered the Spaghettio Capital of the World consuming 3 million servings per year.

:mad:

Ok, that's good. I'm pretty sure it was originally at least partly French, and I was eating too many of them anyway, so I stopped for a while and decided I'd do some research before buying any more, and then I got lazy and didn't do the research.

Used to buy both German and French wines regularly.

I've found that many wines from the Finger Lakes region of New York State rival those from Germany and wines from California are better than French wines.

Even if American products were inferior (which they aren't) I wouldn't pour a french wine in the dog's water bowl.

Besides, the dog likes Coors.

Merlin1047 said:
Used to buy both German and French wines regularly.

I've found that many wines from the Finger Lakes region of New York State rival those from Germany and wines from California are better than French wines.

Even if American products were inferior (which they aren't) I wouldn't pour a french wine in the dog's water bowl.

Besides, the dog likes Coors.

My wife and I both love wines. Several years ago, we bought a couple of NICE French wines, but we haven't drank them. Not sure if I ever will now.

Aussie Cabs are great. So are their Zins. Believe it or not, Texas has some good wines too. As you mention, Long Island and upstate NY both have good wines. Hell, there are LOTS of GREAT AMERICAN wines, so "F" the frogs..... :cheers2:

Forum List

Back