Thermal/Thermos Cooking Thread

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I've had some limited success with thermos cooking, including a really delicious short rib and veggie stew, rice, and pasta. Tonight I'm trying spaghetti sauce using a modified version of this recipe...How to Make Spaghetti Sauce Using Tomato Sauce

I started with a 17 oz Stanley Food Jar, so that is the room I had available. I used the following ingredients.

8oz jar tomato sauce
2T tomato paste
3T minced leaks
1/4t Italian seasoning
1 large mushroom diced
4oz lean ground beef
some water
1/4t dried minced garlic
1T olive oil
Followed the directions at the link up to the simmering. I preheated the Food Jar with boiling water. Once the sauce was lightly boiling, I simmered it for 5 minutes, then dumped the preheating water out of the Food Jar and added the sauce. It is now resting on it's side covered with a towel for 3 hours.

At 2:30 I'll preheat a full sized 1.1qt Stanley Classic, then boil 4 cups of water in the microwave. Dump the preheating water, add a bundle of spaghetti about the diameter of a quarter, a tablespoon of olive oil and the boiling water, cap it and set it on its side for 20-30 minutes.

When it is done and strained, dinner is served.

I've done spaghetti many times now...I'd let you know how the sauce turns out.

Going to try dehydrating and grinding the tomato paste to reduce waste...not tonight, but perhaps tomorrow.

I've never heard of this "thermos cooking" before but it sounds cool. My sister makes spaghetti using only the microwave all the time... not sure how she does it... her sauce is meatless because she's a vegan, but it's not bad stuff.

I've had some limited success with thermos cooking, including a really delicious short rib and veggie stew, rice, and pasta. Tonight I'm trying spaghetti sauce using a modified version of this recipe...How to Make Spaghetti Sauce Using Tomato Sauce

I started with a 17 oz Stanley Food Jar, so that is the room I had available. I used the following ingredients.

8oz jar tomato sauce
2T tomato paste
3T minced leaks
1/4t Italian seasoning
1 large mushroom diced
4oz lean ground beef
some water
1/4t dried minced garlic
1T olive oil
Followed the directions at the link up to the simmering. I preheated the Food Jar with boiling water. Once the sauce was lightly boiling, I simmered it for 5 minutes, then dumped the preheating water out of the Food Jar and added the sauce. It is now resting on it's side covered with a towel for 3 hours.

At 2:30 I'll preheat a full sized 1.1qt Stanley Classic, then boil 4 cups of water in the microwave. Dump the preheating water, add a bundle of spaghetti about the diameter of a quarter, a tablespoon of olive oil and the boiling water, cap it and set it on its side for 20-30 minutes.

When it is done and strained, dinner is served.

I've done spaghetti many times now...I'd let you know how the sauce turns out.

Going to try dehydrating and grinding the tomato paste to reduce waste...not tonight, but perhaps tomorrow.
I will love to know how it goes. I have a boat and have been meaning to try this way of cooking on the boat to save energy.

You living in the wild? :biggrin:

:)

My work keeps me away from home quite often. I enjoy cooking and get tired of eating out. Sometimes I have access to a microwave, but more often not, so I'm trying this as a way to cook on the road.

My work keeps me away from home quite often. I enjoy cooking and get tired of eating out. Sometimes I have access to a microwave, but more often not, so I'm trying this as a way to cook on the road.
Ya wanna cook on the road? Come down to the southwest during the summer, asphalt has a liquid state........ Bring a wok........ :eusa_whistle:

I will love to know how it goes. I have a boat and have been meaning to try this way of cooking on the boat to save energy.

In 20 minutes and we'll know. :thup:

18c2c82e-eb40-4e8e-ab75-7b1df6df9d76_zpsvhsrycee.jpg

I would love to have a boat I could overnight on. I have received a lot of information from this boating website...Dried Beans in a Thermos

Ya wanna cook on the road? Come down to the southwest during the summer, asphalt has a liquid state........ Bring a wok........ :eusa_whistle:

I've experienced plenty of South Texas Summers...thanks but no thanks. Winters on the other hand are just my cup of tea.

That actually didn't turn out half bad. The sauce recipe needs a little tweaking, but all in all...pretty good. I'll post some pics in the morning of the results. Tomorrow, dehydrating.

Today I'm trying beans and rice...

3:1 water to beans ratio.

I used a 14oz food jar and left some room for expansion.

1/3 cup of beans, sorted

One cup boiling water

Preheat thermos with hot tap water while boiling water for at least 5 minutes.

Remove preheating water, add beans and boiling water.

Seal and allow to sit for two hours, shaking occasionally.

This replaces overnight soaking.

Boil another cup of water.

Drain and add more boiling water, leaving room for expansion.

It's been in for 14 hours. I'll get a thermometer reading when I open it at 16 hours.

2b193e2a-1b8a-4634-85e3-3ec834151f8a_zpsupechygu.jpg

3497c6c5-cd7a-4bdf-a0c3-7bfcc04b2534_zpsoucliqdo.jpg

c1f9e577-728d-4a92-b0e8-05e3d489d6be_zpsrjptyxqu.jpg

Rice is supposed to be 2:1 ratio water to rice, but you can always drain extra water, so I'm doing 3/4 cup of rice to a cup of water. Started it after the beans had been in overnight.

At 15.5 hours the beans were done, but the temp was down to 113 degrees. Likely needs a drain and fresh hot water after 8 hour.

At 3.5 hours the rice was not done. It's jasmine rice, not quick cook rice. The temp was 164 degrees. Drained and added fresh boiling water.

Rice took another 1.5 hours.

Mixed rice and beans with minced leeks, curry powder, basil, salt, pepper, butter and hot sauce.

Made for a very nice inexpensive meal with minimal energy usage and easy clean up.

If you about to buy a thermos I recommend you look at the https: //keepithot.co/ website. It is a very detailed guide for modern thermoses where you can learn all about the matter. It was very helpful for me when I was choosing a thermos for outdoor eating. All thermoses types and shapes and have been analyzed there. Have a look to get a help with choosing.

This is pretty fast bean soup...relatively.

Six hours total. 10 minutes direct cooking, 10 minutes prep.

Tried it, it works...makes a great stew. Used a third of a spam single, potato, onion, celery and a beef bullion cube. I poured off the first water, added the extras, then added fresh water to boil 5 minutes. For next time, I'll dehydrating the potatoes, onion and celery.

Forum List

Back