There's No Way I'm Moving To Florida And Getting Arrested. Madness.

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not sure if this is due to Liberal Idiocy (99% reliable prediction) or old Southern dry-town types of laws brought about by Bible thumpers:

According to police, Patricia Denault poured herself a shot of Fireball cinnamon whiskey and took a picture of her son taking a sip. She posted that picture on Facebook, but someone saw that picture and called the police.

"Me taking a picture and putting it on Facebook, I thought it was funny," Denault said.

Denault was arrested on Wednesday, charged with child neglect after she said three uniformed officers and Child Protective Services came to her house and interviewed her kids.

The mother reportedly told police officers that she wanted her children, including the seven-year-old son featured in the Facebook photos, to “experience alcohol in a controlled setting.”
Here's the law. Draconian nanny-stating.

A parent or guardian may not give a child alcohol, even at home. If they do they will be subjected to prosecution under Florida Statutes, Section 562.11. That Section makes it unlawful for any person to sell, give, serve, or permit to be served alcohol to any person under the age of 21. It does not make an exception for parents or guardians. If a parent or guardian provides alcohol to a child, the parent or guardian could be subjected to prosecution under Florida Statutes, Section 562.11 for the misdemeanor offense of Selling, Giving, or Serving Alcoholic Beverages to a Person Under Age 21, punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a $500.00 fine, and/or under Section 827.04 for the misdemeanor offense of contributing to the delinquency of a child, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1000.00 fine.​

Assuming there really isn't anything else going on, her desire to develop and guide her children's exposure to alcohol rather than leaving that mission up to her children's peers and the media is admirable. That's exactly how both my wife and I were raised and it's exactly what we're doing with our kids.

I'm not sure if this is due to Liberal Idiocy (99% reliable prediction) or old Southern dry-town types of laws brought about by Bible thumpers:

According to police, Patricia Denault poured herself a shot of Fireball cinnamon whiskey and took a picture of her son taking a sip. She posted that picture on Facebook, but someone saw that picture and called the police.

"Me taking a picture and putting it on Facebook, I thought it was funny," Denault said.

Denault was arrested on Wednesday, charged with child neglect after she said three uniformed officers and Child Protective Services came to her house and interviewed her kids.

The mother reportedly told police officers that she wanted her children, including the seven-year-old son featured in the Facebook photos, to “experience alcohol in a controlled setting.”

A parent or guardian may not give a child alcohol, even at home. If they do they will be subjected to prosecution under Florida Statutes, Section 562.11. That Section makes it unlawful for any person to sell, give, serve, or permit to be served alcohol to any person under the age of 21. It does not make an exception for parents or guardians. If a parent or guardian provides alcohol to a child, the parent or guardian could be subjected to prosecution under Florida Statutes, Section 562.11 for the misdemeanor offense of Selling, Giving, or Serving Alcoholic Beverages to a Person Under Age 21, punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a $500.00 fine, and/or under Section 827.04 for the misdemeanor offense of contributing to the delinquency of a child, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1000.00 fine.​

Assuming there really isn't anything else going on, her desire to develop and guide her children's exposure to alcohol rather than leaving that mission up to her children's peers and the media is admirable. That's exactly how both my wife and I were raised and it's exactly what we're doing with our kids.

What a dumbass. Why in the world would you put that on facebook?

1.) Yeah, people putting stuff on facebook is a problem.
2.) Yeah, this is illegal in Florida.
3.) It shouldn't be illegal in Florida and it shouldn't be a problem to put onto facebook.

3.) It shouldn't be illegal in Florida and it shouldn't be a problem to put onto facebook.

Don't give your kids alcohol Rikurzhen

The kid was seven years old.

So? That taste of whiskey probably put him off booze for a good decade, I'd bet.

I wouldn't have followed her strategy, but I defend her right to do what is best for her kids, and offloading alcohol instruction to your kid's friends is negligent parenting.

Too late for me, for my wife, too late for our kids.

Where do you get "Liberal" out of this?

Overbearing Nanny State arresting parents for x, y, and z. As I noted it could well be Bible thumper anti-alcoholism at work too. Other states permit parents to serve alcohol to their kids in their home.

Is alcohol really that important to your family?

Who in their right mind wants their kids to be binge drinkers, alcoholics, passing out in the street and getting raped? My kids are too valuable to me to let that happen to them. You let your kids friends guide them into the world of drinking and define for your kids the social aspects of drinking and leave me to do the same for my kids.

Who in their right mind wants their kids to be binge drinkers, alcoholics, passing out in the street and getting raped? My kids are too valuable to me to let that happen to them. You let your kids friends guide them into the world of drinking and define for your kids the social aspects of drinking and leave me to do the same for my kids.

Fine. Don't put it on facebook.

Our Nanny State is trying to turn everybody into Nazi Narcs.

Fine. Don't put it on facebook.

I don't put anything on facebook.

You do realize that what she did was not a crime in 29 states.

She is an idiot.

No she's not. It's quite common for kids to "want a taste" - and they usually say "ewwwwww..." when they get it.

What makes kids crave alcohol is treating it as some big TABOO thing that they Can't Have.

I knew my step son had a drug problem starting when he was 14 years old. I just didn't realize that drug problem started when he was 12..at home..with his skanky low life mother being the cause of it. SHE said she knew he would eventually do it and she preferred he learn from her and be safe at home. She is an idiot.

You do not give your child alcohol. Period. Nor drugs to "teach them". Duh.

Forum List

Back