There should be no reason for this

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
18yiv2rhdghz9png.png

A Map of Who s Got the Best And Worst Internet Connections in America

What do you think of this article? In the article they tie internet speed to income and a few other factors. To me there is no reason why should be any red red on this map. To me this map is a stain on American prestige. There was a time when America took pride in being #1. Isn't it sad when Romania has a faster internet in America?

Interesting map -- indicates ISP speed is better in central (rural) Washington than where Microsoft is...

Meanwhile da UP got it goin' on... (?)

Then there's ... south AridZona? :confused:

Why the disparity between the Dakotas and Montana? Or Vermonster and New Hamster?

Disparities between such area that aren't different from each other, like VT/NH and ND/MT, and the appearance of blue in rural areas, indicate to me that the sample taken is too small.

Is this a map of what quality internet connections are available?

Or is it a map of what quality internet connections people are willing to pay for?

(BTW, companies aren't likely to build high-speed systems in areas where no one wants to pay for them.)

And areas with very sparse population might have to pay high per-person costs for running super-speed internet out to three farms that are fifty miles from the nearest town.

If you're so sad over Montana having slow internet, why don't YOU write the check to pay for their upgrades?

They have decided they can get along fine with slower internet, that their money is better spent on food or roads or heating oil or whatever. What makes you think you know better than they do, what they should spend their money on?

Last edited:
I lived in Maine for 5 years with just DIAL UP, then finally the phone company came in with a very very very slow DSL... that is a hair over dial up speed, about 3 years ago....

There is no fiber optics....

no broad band cable, satellite is useless, dsl is useless

NO nothing that is worth anything...even cell phones don't work or it is a hit or miss, near our house.

this isn't because of income, this is because the cable and the phone companies don't want to spend the money installing fiber optics for so few people.... I think I was told our telephone lines were over 50 years - 100 years old.... sheesh.... Yet year after year after year we all have paid these UCC? fees and taxes on our utility bills so that these companies would have the money to put in their services in sparsely populated areas... no such luck up here in my neighborhood...yet I am only 1 1/2 miles from US 1, the main road up the US coastline? It pisses me off... :eek:

Looks like I live in one of the worst internet connection areas in America....

Hasn't much slowed down the volume of bullshit I can read in a day.

Or is it a map of what quality internet connections people are willing to pay for?

(BTW, companies aren't likely to build high-speed systems in areas where no one wants to pay for them.)

And areas with very sparse population might have to pay high per-person costs for running super-speed internet out to three farms that are fifty miles from the nearest town.

If you're so sad over Montana having slow internet, why don't YOU write the check to pay for their upgrades?

They have decided they can get along fine with slower internet, that their money is better spent on food or roads or heating oil or whatever. What makes you think you know better than they do, what they should spend their money on?

I want America to be a high tech nation and culture.

Are you telling me this has to do with culture? They would rather be outdoors than play video games or watch HBO?

I am sure Montana would get instantly hooked if they were introduced to internet gaming.

Are you telling me this has to do with culture? They would rather be outdoors than play video games or watch HBO?

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated.... they've gotten the money from us, from all of us....for decades to add these services to areas with fewer people.... my town still has 2000 people that live here...granted it is spread out, but my 3 mile long road probably has 25 homes.... right in town center, many homes are grouped together much closer than us, and like I said, we are near US1? Maybe Congress is collecting these taxes but has never given them back to the Utility companies???

Playing outside is what the kids do here... in winter, they ski and sled and toboggan, make snowmen, play ice hockey and ice fish on the lakes, in the Fall they hunt, in the spring they drain the fluid from Maple trees and make maple syrup. :D

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated.... they've gotten the money from us, from all of us....for decades to add these services to areas with fewer people.... my town still has 2000 people that live here...granted it is spread out, but my 3 mile long road probably has 25 homes.... right in town center, many homes are grouped together much closer than us, and like I said, we are near US1? Maybe Congress is collecting these taxes but has never given them back to the Utility companies???

Playing outside is what the kids do here... in winter, they ski and sled and toboggan, make snowmen, play ice hockey and ice fish on the lakes, in the Fall they hunt, in the spring they drain the fluid from Maple trees and make maple syrup. :D

The kids are jocks not geeks.

Where I come from every kid plays video games.

I bet they would love video games if the high tech areas of America introduced them to your kids.

Forum List

Back