There is no idea like an idea whose time has come: It is time to amend the Second Amendment.

Thank you for your thoughtful question, Admiral Rockwell Tory. It is indeed a valid concern that the proposal, as stated, may not directly address the issue of school shootings, particularly when handguns are involved. The complexity of the issue requires a multifaceted approach that goes beyond just regulating firearms.

One aspect to consider is that the proposal grants cities the right to ban handguns, allowing for localized solutions tailored to specific circumstances. This flexibility recognizes the unique challenges faced by urban areas, where gun violence may be more prevalent.

Furthermore, it is important to emphasize that the proposal is not meant to be a comprehensive solution to the problem of school shootings. It aims to strike a balance between individual rights and public safety while acknowledging the diverse needs and values of different communities. The proposed amendment serves as a starting point for further discussion, rather than a definitive solution.

Addressing school shootings effectively will likely require a combination of measures, such as enhanced background checks, mental health support, and increased school security, among others. It is essential to engage in a wide-ranging dialogue involving multiple stakeholders – including educators, law enforcement, mental health professionals, and communities – to identify and implement the most effective strategies for preventing these tragic events.

In conclusion, while the proposal may not provide a direct answer to stopping school shootings involving handguns, it offers a framework for further discussions and encourages a more nuanced approach to firearm regulations. By engaging in constructive dialogue and considering a range of strategies, we can work towards finding solutions that balance individual rights and public safety, ultimately reducing the frequency and severity of school shootings.

Cheers,
Rumpole
No, you simply want to ban semi-automatic rifles. That will not stand.

By allowing states and cities to implement gun control, you guarantee that the populace would be unarmed in the face of a fully armed criminal element. That is not happening either as many cities nd states have learned.

Rumpole

Are you going to answer my question?

I repeat:

Your desire to gut the 2nd is motivated by gun violence - yes or no?

marxist_traitor_commie_joe_sucks_soros_w-2770330.jpg

does not advocate for abolishing the Second Amendment.
Bullshit! The Second is fine as it is.

If you want to change anything in the Constitution that would benefit this country then advocate that we return to the State Legislatures appoint the Senators rather than have them elected by popular vote.

I realize this proposal is stirring up a proverbial hornet's nest, and the idea has about as much of a chance as catching a cloud with a fishnet. Nevertheless, I believe it is time to at least start the conversation. Think of this conversation as planting a seed. There is an old saying: "There is no idea like one whose time has come." I think this idea is just that – an idea whose time has come. And that idea is to amend the Second Amendment.

It is indeed a pressing concern to address the issue of gun violence in the United States, particularly when it comes to school shootings. While the Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, the changing landscape of American society has led to calls for re-evaluating and amending this constitutional provision. The proposed "2A v.2" offers a nuanced approach to addressing this issue, allowing states to regulate guns as they see fit while still preserving the right to own firearms for specific purposes.

First, it is crucial to acknowledge that the context in which the Second Amendment was written has evolved significantly. The original intent of the framers was to ensure the ability of citizens to form a well-regulated militia, as a check against potential tyranny. However, as former Supreme Court justice John Paul Stevens pointed out, the National Guard now serves the purpose of a militia, making the original rationale for the Second Amendment less applicable to modern society.

Second, the proposed "2A v.2" amendment balances the need for individual rights with public safety. It respects the right to own single-shot bolt action rifles for hunting, self-defense, and sustenance purposes, as well as the right to own handguns at the state level. These provisions acknowledge the cultural and historical significance of gun ownership in America, while providing a framework for states to enact regulations that reflect the values and needs of their citizens.

Third, by allowing cities the right to ban handguns, the proposed amendment recognizes the unique challenges urban areas face when it comes to gun violence. The density and diversity of city populations can contribute to higher rates of crime, and localized handgun bans may be an effective way to address this issue. This proposal also respects the principle of local control, empowering cities to implement solutions tailored to their specific circumstances. Note that in the old west, many small towns required residents, when entering the town's borders, to turn in their guns to the local sheriff's office, yet no one complained about the second amendment. Since the NRA has become such a central force in opposing any regulation of arms, which, in my view, their efforts make it difficult for states and municipalities to regulate arms as the see fit, as they see are needed for their state's circumstances, circumstances with vary, not only from state to state, but from region to region, I feel this is an idea whose time has come.

Finally, the proposed "2A v.2" amendment maintains the spirit of the Second Amendment while adapting it to address the modern reality of gun violence. It offers a flexible framework for states and cities to develop regulations that protect public safety without infringing on individual rights. By updating the Second Amendment in this way, the United States can work towards reducing the devastating impact of gun violence while still respecting the constitutional rights of its citizens.

Also note that since I am not an expert on rifles, my view on single-shot bolt action versus semi automatic rifles is not solidified in my proposal, and I remain open to arguments presented by experts on their reasoning for continuing to allow for semi-automatic rifles. Also note that the amendment allows states to allow for semi-automatics--remember, a constitutional amendment is not a ban whatsoever, it is just being amended to allow states more freedom to regulate without interference from, what I personally view as, second amendment radical groups such as the NRA. Obviously, the NRA and it's hard core believers will oppose this idea, and I expect that.

What argument I reject is the one that goes; "if you ban guns only criminals will have guns". I reject it given that since the stern regulation, the hurdles placed on the path to owning a fully automatic machine gun have vastly reduced crimes for that particular weapon, there are very view crimes committed with them. Remember, 'I am not an expert" and if my reasoning is faulty, I invite your arguments to the contrary, and, of course, that goes for this entire proposal. The details, I'm asserting, are subject to negotiation, but I do feel the time has come for an amendment to the second amendment, one that will allow states and cities more freedom to regulate arms as they see fit, for the needs or their states and municipalities.

In conclusion, although the idea of amending the Second Amendment may seem like a difficult conversation to initiate, it is essential to plant the seed of change in order to address the pressing issue of gun violence in the United States. The "2A v.2" proposal offers a balanced and nuanced approach that respects individual rights, public safety, and local control. By engaging in this conversation, we can explore potential solutions and work towards creating a safer society for all.

*So, ladies and gentlemen, "fire away" (with your affirmations, discussions, and debate/counter arguments. Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun :) ).

Humbly tendered,
Rumpole
**************************************************************​
*Caveat: rude comments, "TLDL" comments, snarky and lazy retorts, disingenuous comments, ad nauseum, will be ignored.
Technical point – amendments can’t be ‘amended,’ only repealed.

The Constitution would be amended to repeal the Second Amendment.

The Constitution would be amended again with an amendment concerning the regulation of firearms – or not.

The original intent of the framers was to ensure the ability of citizens to form a well-regulated militia, as a check against potential tyranny.
Actually not.

Article I, Section 8 prohibited the funding of a standing army beyond two years.

Consequently, it would be the role and responsibility of the states’ militia to provide initial defense of the nation in the event of foreign attack, until a Federal army could be raised.

An amendment to 2A renders your point moot. Amendments are allowed per the US Constitution.

Not at all, points raised which you have not adequately addressed, let alone refuted.
Because you can amend is not a compelling reason to amend. You have failed to offer a compelling reason.

Your argument is basically boo hoo there is violence. Let's restrict the God given rights of everybody because there are bad guys in the world.

If the Moon Bats get their way nothing would have stopped the asshole from getting a gun to rob the place.

However, it would have stopped the honest business owner from having the ability to protect themselves and they would be dead now.

Finally, the proposed "2A v.2" amendment maintains the spirit of the Second Amendment while adapting it to address the modern reality of gun violence. It offers a flexible framework for states and cities to develop regulations that protect public safety without infringing on individual rights.
That could be accomplished by overturning McDonald v. Chicago, which incorporated the Second Amendment to the states and local jurisdictions.

Prior to 2010, the Second Amendment applied only to the Federal government and Federal entities – the states and cities were at liberty to regulate firearms as they saw fit, including the banning of a particular class of weapons.

McDonald v. Chicago illustrates the hypocrisy of conservatives, and their inconsistent advocacy of “states’ rights.”

That could be accomplished by overturning McDonald v. Chicago, which incorporated the Second Amendment to the states and local jurisdictions.

Prior to 2010, the Second Amendment applied only to the Federal government and Federal entities – the states and cities were at liberty to regulate firearms as they saw fit, including the banning of a particular class of weapons.

McDonald v. Chicago illustrates the hypocrisy of conservatives, and their inconsistent advocacy of “states’ rights.”

The federal government should be responsible for stepping in when leftist states try to usurp citizens' civil rights.

I can prove my statement to everyone except you

Your desire to gut the 2nd is motivated by gun violence - yes or no?
Thank you for your response, Mac-7. I understand your concerns about the motivations behind the proposal, and I appreciate your candidness in seeking clarification.

While it's true that the issue of gun violence, including school shootings, is a significant factor driving the conversation around potential changes to the Second Amendment, the broader context of this discussion encompasses a range of factors. These factors include the interpretation of the Second Amendment's wording, the evolving role of militias in modern society, and the need to balance individual rights with public safety in a contemporary context.

The proposed amendment is an attempt to address these various concerns by providing a more flexible framework for firearm regulation, while still preserving the core principles of individual rights and liberties. The goal is not to "gut" the Second Amendment, but rather to encourage a constructive dialogue that explores potential ways to adapt it to the realities of the 21st century.

In conclusion, it's important to acknowledge that gun violence is indeed a motivating factor in this discussion, but the broader context involves a range of considerations related to the interpretation, application, and modern relevance of the Second Amendment. By engaging in a respectful and open-minded conversation, we can work together to find solutions that balance public safety and individual rights in a way that serves the needs of our society.

Cheers,
Rumpole

th

How about we disarm all security guards, body guards, police, sheriffs, US Marshals, FBI, ATF, DEA, IRS, secret service agents, and any one else that works for the government or big private agency first as a test run for a few years?

They'll be allowed to carry night sticks and whistles instead.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

but rather to encourage a constructive dialogue that explores potential ways to adapt it to the realities of the 21st century.
So many words that say nothing and are only intended to blunt your admission that you want to keep taking guns till all honest citizens are disarmed

How do I know that?

Because you cannot end gun violence unless there are no guns anywhere

But then you will have to ban cars

because even if you take away guns the crazies will still be out there

th

How about we disarm all security guards, body guards, police, sheriffs, US Marshals, FBI, ATF, DEA, IRS, secret service agents, and any one else that works for the government or big private agency first as a test run for a few years?

They'll be allowed to carry night sticks and whistles instead.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Thats a great idea

Yes, you bring up an interesting perspective by referencing the McDonald v. Chicago case, which indeed expanded the application of the Second Amendment to state and local jurisdictions through the doctrine of incorporation. Prior to this decision, states and local jurisdictions had more leeway in regulating firearms, as the Second Amendment was primarily considered to apply only to the federal government.

Your suggestion highlights the complexity of the issue and the ongoing debate around the appropriate balance between federal and state authority, as well as the interpretation of the Second Amendment. This perspective aligns with the spirit of the original essay in the sense that it also seeks to allow states and local jurisdictions more freedom to regulate firearms as they see fit.

However, the proposal in the OP goes beyond simply advocating for the overturning of McDonald v. Chicago. It suggests amending the Second Amendment to provide a clear framework that ensures certain guarantees for gun ownership while still allowing states and local jurisdictions to regulate firearms based on their specific needs.

In summary, you offer a relevant perspective that supports the idea of allowing states and local jurisdictions more flexibility in regulating firearms. While your suggestion to overturn McDonald v. Chicago addresses some aspects of the issue, without disrespecting your suggestion and possible action contributing to the spirit of the OP, in my view, the OP proposes a more comprehensive approach through amending the Second Amendment. Perhaps, should it ever, however remote, come to pass, your suggestion would be included in the bill/document (not sure what it is called) upon which all pertinent votes are cast. Thanks, and...

Cheers,
Rumpole

So many words that say nothing and are only intended to blunt your admission that you want to keep taking guns till all honest citizens are disarmed

How do I know that?

Because you cannot end gun violence unless there are no guns anywhere

But then you will have to ban cars

because even if you take away guns the crazies will still be out there
Thank you for your continued engagement in this discussion, Mac-7. I understand your concerns about the potential implications of the proposed amendment. However, it's important to remember that the intention of the original essay is not to disarm honest citizens, but rather to promote a constructive dialogue about finding a balance between individual rights and public safety.

As mentioned earlier, the proposal does not advocate for banning guns outright. It seeks to allow states and local jurisdictions more flexibility to regulate firearms according to their specific needs, while maintaining certain guarantees for gun ownership, such as single shot bolt action rifles and handguns at the state level.

Addressing gun violence effectively will likely require a combination of measures beyond just regulating firearms, such as mental health support, enhanced background checks, and community-based initiatives, among others. It's crucial to engage in a wide-ranging dialogue that involves multiple stakeholders in order to identify and implement the most effective strategies for reducing violence.

As for your concerns about the potential impact of banning guns on other forms of violence, it's important to recognize that each type of violence requires a tailored approach to prevention and intervention. While it's true that eliminating guns alone won't solve all violence-related issues, the goal of the proposal is to contribute to a broader conversation about how to create a safer society for everyone.

In conclusion, I encourage all participants in this discussion to approach the dialogue with an open mind and take each other's opinions at face value. By engaging in constructive conversation, we can better understand one another's perspectives and work towards potential solutions that balance individual rights and public safety.

Cheers,
Rumpole

The issue is relatively similar for the licensing and regulation of automobiles, noting that we cannot merely license the 'incompetent', because the only way to find who is incompetent is to test each and every applicant. Now, with mentally ill, there are data bases, but not all mentally ill are accounted for, until it's too late. Moreover, the amendment recommended won't prevent a state like FLA to enact it's (in my opinion) insane policy of permitless conceal and carry, but it allows states that do want stricter regulations, to allow them to do it--the amendment I propose grants states more freedom to regulate as they see fit. If you are unhappy with California, you are free to vote for officials who think as you do, or move to Florida, that sort of thing.
You do not have a constitutional right to drive a car.

I realize this proposal is stirring up a proverbial hornet's nest, and the idea has about as much of a chance as catching a cloud with a fishnet. Nevertheless, I believe it is time to at least start the conversation. Think of this conversation as planting a seed. There is an old saying: "There is no idea like one whose time has come." I think this idea is just that – an idea whose time has come. And that idea is to amend the Second Amendment.

It is indeed a pressing concern to address the issue of gun violence in the United States, particularly when it comes to school shootings. While the Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, the changing landscape of American society has led to calls for re-evaluating and amending this constitutional provision. The proposed "2A v.2" offers a nuanced approach to addressing this issue, allowing states to regulate guns as they see fit while still preserving the right to own firearms for specific purposes.

First, it is crucial to acknowledge that the context in which the Second Amendment was written has evolved significantly. The original intent of the framers was to ensure the ability of citizens to form a well-regulated militia, as a check against potential tyranny. However, as former Supreme Court justice John Paul Stevens pointed out, the National Guard now serves the purpose of a militia, making the original rationale for the Second Amendment less applicable to modern society.

Second, the proposed "2A v.2" amendment balances the need for individual rights with public safety. It respects the right to own single-shot bolt action rifles for hunting, self-defense, and sustenance purposes, as well as the right to own handguns at the state level. These provisions acknowledge the cultural and historical significance of gun ownership in America, while providing a framework for states to enact regulations that reflect the values and needs of their citizens.

Third, by allowing cities the right to ban handguns, the proposed amendment recognizes the unique challenges urban areas face when it comes to gun violence. The density and diversity of city populations can contribute to higher rates of crime, and localized handgun bans may be an effective way to address this issue. This proposal also respects the principle of local control, empowering cities to implement solutions tailored to their specific circumstances. Note that in the old west, many small towns required residents, when entering the town's borders, to turn in their guns to the local sheriff's office, yet no one complained about the second amendment. Since the NRA has become such a central force in opposing any regulation of arms, which, in my view, their efforts make it difficult for states and municipalities to regulate arms as the see fit, as they see are needed for their state's circumstances, circumstances with vary, not only from state to state, but from region to region, I feel this is an idea whose time has come.

Finally, the proposed "2A v.2" amendment maintains the spirit of the Second Amendment while adapting it to address the modern reality of gun violence. It offers a flexible framework for states and cities to develop regulations that protect public safety without infringing on individual rights. By updating the Second Amendment in this way, the United States can work towards reducing the devastating impact of gun violence while still respecting the constitutional rights of its citizens.

Also note that since I am not an expert on rifles, my view on single-shot bolt action versus semi automatic rifles is not solidified in my proposal, and I remain open to arguments presented by experts on their reasoning for continuing to allow for semi-automatic rifles. Also note that the amendment allows states to allow for semi-automatics--remember, a constitutional amendment is not a ban whatsoever, it is just being amended to allow states more freedom to regulate without interference from, what I personally view as, second amendment radical groups such as the NRA. Obviously, the NRA and it's hard core believers will oppose this idea, and I expect that.

What argument I reject is the one that goes; "if you ban guns only criminals will have guns". I reject it given that since the stern regulation, the hurdles placed on the path to owning a fully automatic machine gun have vastly reduced crimes for that particular weapon, there are very view crimes committed with them. Remember, 'I am not an expert" and if my reasoning is faulty, I invite your arguments to the contrary, and, of course, that goes for this entire proposal. The details, I'm asserting, are subject to negotiation, but I do feel the time has come for an amendment to the second amendment, one that will allow states and cities more freedom to regulate arms as they see fit, for the needs or their states and municipalities.

In conclusion, although the idea of amending the Second Amendment may seem like a difficult conversation to initiate, it is essential to plant the seed of change in order to address the pressing issue of gun violence in the United States. The "2A v.2" proposal offers a balanced and nuanced approach that respects individual rights, public safety, and local control. By engaging in this conversation, we can explore potential solutions and work towards creating a safer society for all.

*So, ladies and gentlemen, "fire away" (with your affirmations, discussions, and debate/counter arguments. Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun :) ).

Humbly tendered,
Rumpole
**************************************************************​
*Caveat: rude comments, "TLDL" comments, snarky and lazy retorts, disingenuous comments, ad nauseum, will be ignored.
It’s clear that the original intent of the Framers of the Second Amendment was to codify a collective – not individual – right to possess a firearm pursuant to militia service and militia service alone.

And as noted, with the advent of the states’ national guard, the notion of participating in a militia became moot, there is no Federal right to posses a firearm, where the states were at liberty to recognize and codify such a right at the state level – or not.

Until Heller and McDonald.

The Constitution exists solely in the context of its caselaw, as determined by the Supreme Court, and current Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that the Second Amendment right is an individual right unconnected with militia service, and a Federal right.

Until that changes – through the amendment process or the judicial process where Heller and McDonald are overturned – there will be no assault weapon ban, no magazine capacity restrictions, and such state and local laws will be eventually struck down by the Supreme Court, illustrating more hypocrisy from conservatives and their inconsistent advocacy of “states’ rights.”

Forum List

Back