What are you?

• Theistic

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Atheistic

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Many theists are gnostic theists. They claim to know absolutely that there exists a deity.

Well there is a Deity who reveals Himself as He pleases. How is that claiming ultimate knowledge? Sure, you know knowledge about one thing, that's ultimate now?

Should I conclude the converse, declaring that it's impossible to know whether there is a God simply because you havent experienced Him is somehow ultimate ignorance?

I believe that God is sufficiently smart to help me get what he means without needing a bunch of theologians to translate it for me.

I don't reconcile it. I have never audited my personal faith. I believe what I believe and that's good enough for me.

You see, these are the portions of your post that really bothers me. It's not your actual beliefs that trouble me, it is your approach to belief. Do you think this is a valid and acceptable way of believing things about the world? Would you say it is generally acceptable for people to take this attitude about their faith?

You see, the problem is, while you may live a wonderful life using this method, if you validate the method- if you say this is an acceptable way for individuals to have and hold onto faith, then you have no right to criticize others who feel the same way but hold different beliefs.

So when the next child dies because her father won't get her medical attention, or even when the next suicide bomber who kills innnocent people, the only consistent thing one could say who took your approach to belief would be:

Well, that's their belief. You can't point out they're wrong, because god is smart enough to help him get what he means. And they only acted what they understood god to mean. There's no reason to even consider what they believe, because it's their belief and it's good enough for them.

That's not good enough for me. If it is taken as acceptable to hold a belief without consideration nor any criteria for the validity of that belief, then all beliefs are equally valid. This is not an acceptable situation, since many beliefs are contradictory in nature.

If you refuse to take you kid to the hospital because you're insane, you hear voices, and you believe in zombies, you should be put in prison for neglect and endangerment.

Forum List

Back