The Wise Man Is Oft Ignored In His Own Land

Sheeeyit. I've been offering that for years. I just don't limit it to kids.

I do agree about this though:

The Wise Man Is Oft Ignored In His Own Land

I get that all the time. The wiser I get, the more ignorder I get. Know what I mean?

Know what I mean?

Hello? This thing on?

Children should fear what their parents know, not what the hand of their Father can do to them. Problem is a child can take an entire childhood or lifetime to learn this lesson. The nucleus of child disobedience is in the belief that the child knows more, better than the Father. The Father says, "do not cross that street without looking both ways." For a time the child obeys. But eventually, after several safe crossings looking both ways--which takes a few extra precious minutes of playtime, the child is back to dashing into the street intent on what lies on the other side, oblivious of the car speeding down on him.

As in childhood, so in adulthood. True parental disciplinary failure lies in the hands of the Father who allows his child to believe he or she knows better than the parent. Disciplining the child effectively for his or her ultimate solo emergence into society can be done without the rod, but only if the Father imparts life lessons and knowledge more terrifying in the child's mind than the rod on the swing wielded by the Father. Otherwise--and it is a symptom and symbol of weak parenting skills--the Father will have little choice but to resort to the rod, and the child will flinch in his Father's shadow. Who wants that?

There's wisdom in sending the misbehaved child to retrieve a switch from the maple tree, and then upon his timely return, offering up a bag of marshmallows.

Children should fear what their parents know, not what the hand of their Father can do to them. Problem is a child can take an entire childhood or lifetime to learn this lesson. The nucleus of child disobedience is in the belief that the child knows more, better than the Father. The Father says, "do not cross that street without looking both ways." For a time the child obeys. But eventually, after several safe crossings looking both ways--which takes a few extra precious minutes of playtime, the child is back to dashing into the street intent on what lies on the other side, oblivious of the car speeding down on him.

As in childhood, so in adulthood. True parental disciplinary failure lies in the hands of the Father who allows his child to believe he or she knows better than the parent. Disciplining the child effectively for his or her ultimate solo emergence into society can be done without the rod, but only if the Father imparts life lessons and knowledge more terrifying in the child's mind than the rod on the swing wielded by the Father. Otherwise--and it is a symptom and symbol of weak parenting skills--the Father will have little choice but to resort to the rod, and the child will flinch in his Father's shadow. Who wants that?

There's wisdom in sending the misbehaved child to retrieve a switch from the maple tree, and then upon his timely return, offering up a bag of marshmallows.

Which will effectively teach the child that when he misbehaves, he gets a bag of marshmallows.

Forum List

Back