The Wars of Religion (1562-1598)

padisha emperor

Sep 6, 2004
Aix-en-Provence, France
This is a thread to speak about an important time of the french history, but not well known. Also a dark time. The Wars of Religions, from 1562 to 1598 - officialy - , between the Catholics and the Protestants (also called "Huguenots", from the german word eidgenossen, confederate)

KISH291.jpg

KISH_14_319.gif

The next king was FRANCIS II (1559-1560)(after his father's death, Henri II, killed accidently during the tournament for the celebration of the wedding between his daughter and the King of Spain - PE's add-on ;) ) who was a minor, married to Mary, Queen of Scots. After his sudden death he was succeded by his brother CHARLES IX (1560-1574), also a minor, whose mother, CATHERINE DE MEDICI acted as Regent. She tried to promote peace between the Catholics and Protestants by granting certain privileges to the Huguenots by means of the EDICT OF ST GERMAIN (17th January, 1561).

The peace became short-lived when on 1st March, 1562 a number of Catholics descended on a large Huguenot assembly in Vassy, killing 30 and wounding about 200. The Wars of Religion which followed (1562-1598), were a direct consequence of these VASSY MURDERS. Numerous attempts at bringing about peace followed, but proved unsuccessful.

By August 1570, the Regent Catherine de Medici was forced to declare the PEACE OF ST GERMAIN to prevent the Huguenots from taking Paris. Their leader, Gaspard de Coligny, succeded in obtaining freedom of religious practice in all cities except Paris.

GASPARD DE COLIGNY was an Admiral of France as well as Governor of Picardy. He joined the Protestants in 1559, soon becoming their leader and spokesman.

The Peace of St Germain had illustrated clearly just how much power was vested in the Huguenots. The Catholics feared this power and it was decided to eliminate the Huguenots, particularly their leaders.

With the marriage of Prince HENRY OF NAVARRE, a Huguenot, to Marguerite de Valois (daughter of Catherine de Medici) on 23rd and 24th August, 1572 a golden opportunity presented itself. During this Feast of ST BARTHOLOMEW, thousands of Huguenots, including De Coligny, were massacred in Paris by the soldiers of the King. Henry of Navarre escaped, but in the weeks following, murder and mayhem spread throughout France. Many Huguenots fled to other European countries as a result. Numerous Religious Wars followed under the leadership of Charles IX.

Charles IX was succeded by his brother HENRY III (1574-1589).
As he was childless, he was succeeded by Henry of Navarre as HENRY IV (1589-1610). Having adopted Catholicism for political reasons, Henry IV yet remained well disposed towards the Huguenots. He was able to bring an end to the Religious Wars through the PEACE OF VERVINS. On 13th April, 1598 through the proclamation of the EDICT OF NANTES he provided the Huguenots with more religious and political freedom than ever before. Under his reign France became united and a period of peace followed.

After the death of Mazarin in 1661, LOUIS XIV (1643-1715) the Sun King, began his reign. He went to great lengths to convert the Huguenots. When even the billeting of dragoons in Huguenot households, the infamous DRAGONNADES, had no effect he proclaimed the EDICT OF FONTAINEBLEAU on 17th October, 1685.

This revoked the Edict of Nantes and resulted in the Huguenot persecutions being resumed. Once again the Huguenots fled in large numbers (200 000 and more) to other countries in Europe as well as England and America. The Netherlands received a large number of refugees, some of whom came to the CAPE.

text from : http://www.museum.co.za/wars_of_religion.htm

charles9france.jpg

Charles IX, King of France

180px-Henri3.jpg

Henri III, King of France, assassinated in 1589 by a fanatic monk, Jacques Clément, to avenge the Duke de Guise.

m503604_83de233_p.jpg

Henri IV, King of France

beauregard_henri_de_guise_1_vignette.jpg

Henri de Guise, Duke de Lorraine, leader of the Catholics, chief of the "Sainte Ligue" (Holy League), assassinated in 1588 at Amboise's castle.

Coligny.jpg

Amiral Gaspard de Coligny, chief of the Huguenots, assassinated in 1572 during the Saint Bartholomew's night.

ph_ds_car_clouet_catherine_medicis.jpg

Catherine de Medicis, Queen of France (widow of Henri II), she had a big influence on her sons, paertuclarly Charles XI and Henri III, mother of François II, Charles IX, Henri III and François, Duke d'Alençon.

Here is really really more about the Religious wars, it is really complete, but quite long too. But if this subject interesting you, click here, here is all what you want to know about the Wars of Religion in France.

more about it

Enjoy ;)

Not to be rude or anything, but why don't you post this on a French message board? :dunno: Seems they are the ones that could use reminders of their glorious history.

Do you find that the wars of religion are a glorious page of our History ?
wow ! If you're proud of killing thousands of innocents, only because they're protestants, you'ld find it is glorious. For me, it is an interesting period, but quite dark.

Qhy did I post it ?

Because it is interesting. i tis important for the History, not only for France.

Because it is a message board, i'm not allowed to post some things about France's history ?
Said post a really interesting thread about the mamelucks. Should she post it on a turkish message board ?

I believe it would interest you.

For Napoleon, same thing. And this year is the bicentenary of Austerlitz. the last 2 december, it was the bicentenary of his consecration. It's why I post it.

And some people are interested by these threads.

For me, the good thing on this borad is that people share informations. And after, we've discussions about it.
So, I share some informations of time periods, which are interesting for me, so people can have them too. The title of the main thread is "History". not " US History". So, i can post everything about the world's history. i post one thread about some paintings of Napoleon, one about the teutonic knights. And this one. look, not only France....

really Kathianne, here, i don't understand you. Hope you said it fior laughing, because if it was serious, sad sad sad.

In this city, the biggest most beautiful churches are French Catholic. They were a pretty close group, largely controlled by the priests. Not so anymore, the evangelicals seem to be taking over. :laugh:

Said1 said:
In this city, the biggest most beautiful churches are French Catholic. They were a pretty close group, largely controlled by the priests. Not so anymore, the evangelicals seem to be taking over. :laugh:

dang--better read PE's history lesson closely so Canada doesn't repeat the same mistake.

Hardly a religious war. There were religious undertones, but there was alot of non-religious events driving that. It was a civil war for succession to the throne. It ended with Henri the IV converted from Protestantism to Catholicism and took the throne and the Edict of Nantes if i remember correctly. Im sure though that Henri was so worried about waging war for religious reasons.

Sure, Avatar, you're right ;)

the leader of the two opposites parties were fighting only for power, not for rzeligion.The basic soldiers were fighting for religion.

But the royal power was affaraid by the proportion taken by the protestant party : it was a State in the State.
The Edict of Nantes in 1598 officially ended these wars.
But in fact, not really : Richelieu, in 1627-1628, did the siege of La Rochelle, protestant place, to break the protestant might.
And in 1685 Louis XIV did a revocation of the Edict of Nantes : again persecutions, the "dragonnades" : the french dragons were sent in the campaings to "convert" the population, and when some resistance was opposed : bang !

It was political reasons who lead these wars.But the religon was all the same here : Henri de Bourbon could never had successfully climb on the throne if he wasn't convert before to the catholicism.
But the religious war are alo interesting because it is the breakpoint in the royal succession : the undirect capetian dynasty of the Valois was over with Henri III in 1589, the undirect capetian dynasty of the Bourbon began with Henri IV in 1589.

Advice : if you can, watch the movie : "the queen Margot" (i thik it's the english title, the french one is "la reine Margot")
it take place in 1572, with the Saint Bartholomew, and it's quite a good movie. (adapted from the A. Dumas' novel)

padisha emperor said:
Sure, Avatar, you're right ;)

the leader of the two opposites parties were fighting only for power, not for rzeligion.The basic soldiers were fighting for religion.

But the royal power was affaraid by the proportion taken by the protestant party : it was a State in the State.
The Edict of Nantes in 1598 officially ended these wars.
But in fact, not really : Richelieu, in 1627-1628, did the siege of La Rochelle, protestant place, to break the protestant might.
And in 1685 Louis XIV did a revocation of the Edict of Nantes : again persecutions, the "dragonnades" : the french dragons were sent in the campaings to "convert" the population, and when some resistance was opposed : bang !

It was political reasons who lead these wars.But the religon was all the same here : Henri de Bourbon could never had successfully climb on the throne if he wasn't convert before to the catholicism.
But the religious war are alo interesting because it is the breakpoint in the royal succession : the undirect capetian dynasty of the Valois was over with Henri III in 1589, the undirect capetian dynasty of the Bourbon began with Henri IV in 1589.

Advice : if you can, watch the movie : "the queen Margot" (i thik it's the english title, the french one is "la reine Margot")
it take place in 1572, with the Saint Bartholomew, and it's quite a good movie. (adapted from the A. Dumas' novel)

I thought the 3 Musketeers duked it with out Richelieu. Dumas wouldn't lie to me , would he?? :cof:

From the potraits, those kings seem to have an awful lot of junk in the trunk.

Thank you for interesting and well composed post.

Please submit more.

Anyone who really enjoys history enjoys all history,
and should be happy to learn more about any other
country's history.

Forum List

Back