The War on Tubbies...NY Soda Ban

Exactly how is banning a 32oz soda going to reduce obesity?

Just like any feel good type of nanny state tripe, it doesnt matter if it works, only that the "concerned" look like they are doing something.

All i think when I see things like that is people like Mike Bloomberg must think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

And to be open, I've lost 30 lbs since the end of May 2012 by using wieght watchers. One would think I would appriciate Mikey B for trying to help me, but crap like this flies in the face of a free society.

The real answer is: it doesn't reduce obesity. Can't order a 32oz?, just buy two 16oz ... for more money of course. They'll come after the 16oz next when they realize this ban doesn't do squat ... then they'll just ban soda all together because we are too stoopid to not drink soda, we must have uncle nanny tell us.

Just read an article that Philly usually follows these types of NY bans ... trans fat, smoking in restaurants, etc. These control freaks should be shot.

You cannot compare smoking bans to this type of ban. Non-smokers right to breath clean air outweighs any right a smoker has to smoke their cigarettes or whatever it is they may be smoking. There are proven dangers to second hand smoke plus it just plain stinks, as in smells bad. There are no second hand effects to someone drinking too much soda.

More of them did than you think, or how did he win in NYC?
NYC isn't as "liberal" as you guys seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, MOST people don't really care about politics.

Bloomberg won the same way that most incumbents win - by being the incumbent.

What do you base your view of what "Most New Yorkers" think on?

He's a law and order liberal. Why else does he love using government edicts to play with his pet projects?
Once again, the term "liberal" has a specific meaning - and that meaning isn't "everything you don't like".

I base my experience on living in NYC during the bad old days, and currently, and discussions I have with similar people.

Yes, he may not be as liberal or progressive as others, but what is he then? I dont see nanny state health laws as exactly being libertarian. Progressives believe in bettering people and society through government regulation. Thats what he is trying to do

There is good government regulation and there is bad government regulation. Requiring kids to have 45 minutes of real exercise every school day of the year would be good government regulation that makes sense. This is just stupid.

I guess because you have to walk back and get a refill...or decide if you really need one is the thinking by government controllers...:nono:

There is one good thing about the new law; at least now you can order a 16 oz drink. Most restaurants considered a 22 oz drink the small one, with 32 oz being medium, 44 oz being large and then of course for the real thirsty people, there is always the 64 oz jumbo size.

Just like any feel good type of nanny state tripe, it doesnt matter if it works, only that the "concerned" look like they are doing something.

All i think when I see things like that is people like Mike Bloomberg must think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

And to be open, I've lost 30 lbs since the end of May 2012 by using wieght watchers. One would think I would appriciate Mikey B for trying to help me, but crap like this flies in the face of a free society.

The real answer is: it doesn't reduce obesity. Can't order a 32oz?, just buy two 16oz ... for more money of course. They'll come after the 16oz next when they realize this ban doesn't do squat ... then they'll just ban soda all together because we are too stoopid to not drink soda, we must have uncle nanny tell us.

Just read an article that Philly usually follows these types of NY bans ... trans fat, smoking in restaurants, etc. These control freaks should be shot.

You cannot compare smoking bans to this type of ban. Non-smokers right to breath clean air outweighs any right a smoker has to smoke their cigarettes or whatever it is they may be smoking. There are proven dangers to second hand smoke plus it just plain stinks, as in smells bad. There are no second hand effects to someone drinking too much soda.

All I know is that my parents were chain smokers, my brothers and sisters all smoked at one time, I'm the only one who didn't and I'm the one with the pulmonary problems.

Every time that Bloomberg has ran for Mayor, he's run on the "Republican" ballot line. He's always been the "righty" candidate.

Only to avoid the crowded Democratic primary, but you already knew that. He was a life long Democrat prior to running for mayor. There is next to nothing right wing about Michael Bloomberg.

For resturants I can see the reasoning, and for places like offices. But at the Dive Bar on the corner on a wednesday night you should be able to light up at the bar if the owner would allow it.

Derp..How is banning large sugary drinks going to reduce obesity derp?

You guys are trying really hard to pretend to be stupid but you're not fooling anyone.

I guess because you have to walk back and get a refill...or decide if you really need one is the thinking by government controllers...:nono:

There is one good thing about the new law; at least now you can order a 16 oz drink. Most restaurants considered a 22 oz drink the small one, with 32 oz being medium, 44 oz being large and then of course for the real thirsty people, there is always the 64 oz jumbo size.

Not actually true, but you knew that. McD's and BK both have a 16oz drink (small & "value", respectively), even 7-11 has one (the "Gulp").

Note: 7-11's Big Gulp (32oz), Super Big Gulp (42oz), and even their Double Gulp (64oz) ARE STILL LEGAL! The law allows convenience stores to sell larger drinks.

And, of course...that 40oz bottle of King Cobra is still legal!

Forum List

Back