The Walking Dead and Philosophy.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Exploration of the book The Walking Dead and Philosophy, with an emphasis on how the AMC drama reflects the concepts of philosophical zombies and existentialism.

• Banned
^ How should we treat one another?” Editor Wayne Yeun rhetorically asks in regards to the various issues raised in The Walking Dead and Philosophy. “How should we divide the labor? Without support from things like government, law enforcement, and political correctness, are we all really equal? Can we take whatever we find? Does private property still even exist? Is the world going to be ‘nasty, brutish and short’ or will it be simply different from ours, with its own problems and hardships, coupled with its joys and triumphs?”

According to Gordon Hawkes in “Are You Just Braaaiiinnnsss or Something More,” zombies have already found their way into philosophical thought in recent years, albeit not in the same way envisioned on The Walking Dead. Philosophical zombies – or P-zombies for short – instead represent the conflicting theories known as dualism and materialism. Dualism was initially derived by René Descartes, who famously exclaimed “I think, therefore I am” and argued that there is a part of us that is more than mere physical.

• Banned
^ Existentialism is the brainchild of Albert Camus, who believed that life itself is absurd. “Camus defines absurdity as ‘the confrontation between the longings of humans and an indifferent world,’” Rachel Robinson-Greene explains in “Better Off Undead” before using the characters of The Walking Dead as examples of the concept. “Morgan Jones and his son Duane, whom Rick befriends in the first episode and issue of the series, want Jenny, the wife and mother that they knew, back. Andrea and Amy want to go fishing with their father again, or to celebrate birthdays the way they once did. But the universe does not comply. Jenny is a walker and isn’t coming back. Andrea and Amy may never get to Florida to see if their father’s still alive, let alone fish with him.”

For Albert Camus, the only way to escape the absurdity of the everyday world is to live a life of authenticity. Instead of resisting one’s plight, or even becoming complacent with it, one must react to it instead and battle against it head on. In “The Horror of Humanity,” Julia Round thus argues that as long as the survivors cling to their notions of the past, they are essentially doomed, especially in the early phases of The Walking Dead narrative.

“They won’t admit that their circumstances have changed and still think that ‘society’ will come and rescue them from anarchy,” she writes.

• Banned
  • Banned
Anything for a buck.....
several billion bucks a year.
I mean the book.

The show was pretty good for about 3 seasons.
I now bind all my dead relatives so they can't climb out of the grave when they become zombies.

About you, as usual.

Not interested in discussing anything.
Hey, I am preparing for the zombie apocalypses that the Mayans warned us about.

Exploration of the book The Walking Dead and Philosophy, with an emphasis on how the AMC drama reflects the concepts of philosophical zombies and existentialism.

Shoot 'em in the head isn't much of a philosophy.

I hate zombie, vampire, mummy and werewolf stories.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer and moose. It has been found in some areas of North America, including Canada and the United States, Norway and South Korea. It may take over a year before an infected animal develops symptoms, which can include drastic weight loss (wasting), stumbling, listlessness and other neurologic symptoms. CWD can affect animals of all ages and some infected animals may die without ever developing the disease. CWD is fatal to animals and there are no treatments or vaccines.

Commonly called Zombie deer.
1625585572580.png

1625585596802.png

1625585656650.png

Another fear attack, now for hunters.

Shoot 'em in the head isn't much of a philosophy.

I hate zombie, vampire, mummy and werewolf stories.

It’s about how humans survive an apocalyptic event. Not about the zombies.

It could have been something else. Like The War of The Worlds, for instance. Or the Great Flood.

Anything for a buck.....
I mean the book.

I now bind all my dead relatives so they can't climb out of the grave when they become zombies.

About you, as usual.

Not interested in discussing anything.
Hey, I am preparing for the zombie apocalypses that the Mayans warned us about.

I shouldn’t have bothered. I never learn.

Anything for a buck.....
I mean the book.

The point is how such events would relate to our everyday lives, should some sort of apocalypse occur.

For example, how would you behave six days after the power went out?
YOu don't have to worry about how yourself will behave... you have to worry about how others will behave.
Step 1 is to build an "alliance" with as many neighbors as possible. Convincing them that survival will be significantly improved by each person that cooperates together for security and resources.
The first marauders will begin to raid homes within the first 48 hours.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer and moose. It has been found in some areas of North America, including Canada and the United States, Norway and South Korea. It may take over a year before an infected animal develops symptoms, which can include drastic weight loss (wasting), stumbling, listlessness and other neurologic symptoms. CWD can affect animals of all ages and some infected animals may die without ever developing the disease. CWD is fatal to animals and there are no treatments or vaccines.

View attachment 509420

View attachment 509421

View attachment 509422

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anything for a buck.....
I mean the book.

The point is how such events would relate to our everyday lives, should some sort of apocalypse occur.

For example, how would you behave six days after the power went out?
YOu don't have to worry about how yourself will behave... you have to worry about how others will behave.
Step 1 is to build an "alliance" with as many neighbors as possible. Convincing them that survival will be significantly improved by each person that cooperates together for security and resources.
The first marauders will begin to raid homes within the first 48 hours.

"Convincing them that survival will be significantly improved by each person..."

I thought sure the last line would be -

and then eat 'em.

View attachment 509420

View attachment 509421

View attachment 509422

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
caulking-dead.jpg

I think I prefer the inimitable C.C. Griffin who said of Zombies
"We kill them then sit around and talk about it for an hour."

1626008444347.png

Forum List

Back