The Value of of a Bachelor's Degree

Discussion in 'Education' started by DGS49, Sep 12, 2018.

1. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,962
    Does anyone know of any method of quantitatively evaluating a college degree?

To illustrate the question, how would one compare, say, a degree in electrical engineering from Penn State with a degree in Ethnic Studies from Yale?

The "good" evaluation system would take into account, as a minimum:

The relative competitiveness of the college,
    The academic rigor of the college major,
    Grades vs. The same - school average (some schools inflate grades).

It seems to me that these are all things that could be quantified. What is the average SAT score of admitted freshmen? What is the ratio of applicants to accepted students? SAT scores of students with the same major. Grades are obtainable, provided individual names are not divulged.

Does anybody do this?

2. Jimmy_Chitwood

Jimmy_Chitwood Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,788

I may be crazy but I would look at cost of living adjusted starting salaries.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. evenflow1969

evenflow1969 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    There are appraisers of intangibles.Some one has likely already done this! If they are sharing that info I do not know. The amount of data that would be required to determine this would large. It would not be a low cost venture,but yes it could be done and there are people who do such a thing. Rick Wachenhorst out of Cincinatti is a good candidate. Casey Hamilton if he is still alive. I would imagine some organization has paid for such a study, the question is how recent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,674
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,188
    You have obviously never researched colleges. All you have to do is Google.

6. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,882
    1. It got my friend's kid a good job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    From what I have seen from high school classmates where you go matters. Those that went to top colleges like Yale, Stanford, University of Chicago, Michigan got better jobs over those went unranked schools.

8. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,509
    To use your example if you compare an EE degree from Penn State and an Ethnic Studies degree from Yale you may be comparing colleges more than degrees which would skew your results.

9. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I would further say from my analysis of classmates I know those who went to colleges that were more selective based on SAT scores did a lot better than those who went to colleges that had low SAT admissions requirements or no SAT requirements. It seems to matter even if you didn't get in a top college, if you graduated from a somewhat more selective college than a college anyone can get into your chances of getting decent paying jobs seems a lot higher. High School classmates of mine that went to colleges with like 1200+ SAT averages I would say faired better than classmates who went to local colleges with low to no SAT requirements that accepted like 75% of all applicants. Graduates from State Universities seemed to do better at landing good jobs than those who went to the State extension campuses that had much lower SAT requirements I noticed.

Many students who go to low SAT requirement or no SAT requirement schools like I did shouldn't even go to college but go to trade school or get in an apprenticeship. I got like a 24 on my ACT got a Bachelor's and Master's with just low paying job offers after college never seemed to be able to move up in pay, so my only way to a middle class salary was to become a Truck Driver. Sadly my CDL was more valuable and led to more good paying job opportunities for me than my Bachelor's in Business and Master's in Education. Even guys I know who were liberal arts majors at more selective colleges seemed to do far better than graduates from colleges that let just about anyone in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  10. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs FORGET ---- HELL Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    Depends on what the Major is, many of the degrees give now are False degrees that really don't need expert knowledge in. Media, Sports, real estate, pottery, Law-enforcement, photo lab, and many more. Many were created to make money for the schools. Many were taught by Special Schools for the Jobs that they would be used in. Met a guy who had a degree in Geography worked for Sara Lee as a Shipping director. Even he said that he never used anything that was taught in College. As for me Welding school, Auto tech worked out great.

• Winner Winner x 1