The US will host the next soccer world cup

That doesn't mean the US plays soccer. It means it's playing in the US.

It means more Americans are going to pro soccer games than are going to NBA or NHL games.

Yes, but it still doesn't mean the US plays soccer.

Go to US schools, how much is soccer played? Go to the parks, do you see soccer being played?

Among the hispanics maybe, beyond that, not so much.

You should get out more. Most schools have soccer teams. The US plays soccer and the US fans love going to the games.

But is your point that white people don't play?

Oh, accusations of racism now.

I made no accusations at all. I asked a simple question.

And the question did not come out of the blue. You insist that Americans don't play soccer. And when you try to emphasize that, you make the comment that we don't see people playing soccer in parks ect. And then "Among hispanics maybe, beyond that, not so much". So you specified that is is hispanics (not Americans) who play soccer. I asked a question for clarification.

Now, as for who plays, let me help you out with some info. here is a link to a graph that shows the number of people in the US who played soccer in the last 12 months. And this tidbit in the caption, "In spring 2017, the number of people who played soccer within the last 12 months amounted to 15.86 million in the United States".

Here is a link to graphs showing that over 800k high school students played high school soccer. U.S. girls/boys high school soccer participation 2009-2017 | Statistic

Soccer is, on almost any poll, the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US. To say Americans don't play soccer is simply inaccurate.

There's a difference between people who have played soccer in the last 12 months and a nation that plays soccer.

Shit, if I eat ice cream once a year, does this make me an ice cream eater?

In Europe kids don't have surveys done of who has played soccer in the last 12 months. All kids play soccer. Some kids will play it five times a weeks. It's the national sport, kids go out and play it in the park after school, play it in the street when it's getting dark. They'll dream of being a professional soccer player.

In the US it's kind of a sport for kids who don't want to get their heads bashed in or who aren't six foot tall by the time they're five years old.

Your statistic of the number who play soccer is all well and good. Until you compare it with the number of students.

There were 16.3 million high school students in the US in 2010.

Number of High School Students in America - A Knowledge Archive

You've got 800,000 playing soccer. That's less than one in twenty playing soccer.

In the UK that'd be about one in one for boys. Girls I don't know.

A nation does play soccer when only 1 in 20 are participating in soccer at any level of participation. If 1 in 20 participated, how many actually played on a team? 1 in 40? Or is it you get on a team or you don't play at all?

No idea.

But still, the US doesn't play soccer.

Some people in the US play soccer, and some people are actually very good. That's not what's being spoken about here.

Brazil plays soccer. Almost every boy wants to be a professional, rich or poor. They play day in, day out. They play at school, they play after school, maybe before school.

With a population of 320 million, if the US played soccer, they'd be at the world cup without a fail.

The US national team which played against France on the 9th of June had 4 players playing in the US MLS. Only four out of 20. Because the US league just isn't at the standard.

One of the player's father's is President of Liberia.
I've never heard of any of the others. Saying that I don't really follow soccer much any more.

...I remember 1 WC final, or semi-final game where they played 90 minutes and no score
not too exciting for Americans ...illegals and recent immigrants probably
...and the US sucks--they can't even beat countries with populations many times lower than the US--even with recent immigrants on the team

I'm not a soccer fan, by any stretch of the imagination. But I did get to go to an Atlanta United game. Very low scoring, but not boring. A lot of action and amazing endurance athletes.

I used to go to Portland Timber games when I was a kid.the Pacific Northwest seems to be very much a soccer area. When the Sounders and Timbers play they will cart 9 to 10 buses to the oppositions field to watch the game. They have several soccer complex’s all over the region, they have lots of soccer moms.

It means more Americans are going to pro soccer games than are going to NBA or NHL games.

Go to US schools, how much is soccer played? Go to the parks, do you see soccer being played?

You should get out more. Most schools have soccer teams. The US plays soccer and the US fans love going to the games.

And the question did not come out of the blue. You insist that Americans don't play soccer. And when you try to emphasize that, you make the comment that we don't see people playing soccer in parks ect. And then "Among hispanics maybe, beyond that, not so much". So you specified that is is hispanics (not Americans) who play soccer. I asked a question for clarification.

Now, as for who plays, let me help you out with some info. here is a link to a graph that shows the number of people in the US who played soccer in the last 12 months. And this tidbit in the caption, "In spring 2017, the number of people who played soccer within the last 12 months amounted to 15.86 million in the United States".

Here is a link to graphs showing that over 800k high school students played high school soccer. U.S. girls/boys high school soccer participation 2009-2017 | Statistic

Soccer is, on almost any poll, the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US. To say Americans don't play soccer is simply inaccurate.

There's a difference between people who have played soccer in the last 12 months and a nation that plays soccer.

In Europe kids don't have surveys done of who has played soccer in the last 12 months. All kids play soccer. Some kids will play it five times a weeks. It's the national sport, kids go out and play it in the park after school, play it in the street when it's getting dark. They'll dream of being a professional soccer player.

In the US it's kind of a sport for kids who don't want to get their heads bashed in or who aren't six foot tall by the time they're five years old.

Your statistic of the number who play soccer is all well and good. Until you compare it with the number of students.

You've got 800,000 playing soccer. That's less than one in twenty playing soccer.

A nation does play soccer when only 1 in 20 are participating in soccer at any level of participation. If 1 in 20 participated, how many actually played on a team? 1 in 40? Or is it you get on a team or you don't play at all?

No idea.

Some people in the US play soccer, and some people are actually very good. That's not what's being spoken about here.

Brazil plays soccer. Almost every boy wants to be a professional, rich or poor. They play day in, day out. They play at school, they play after school, maybe before school.

With a population of 320 million, if the US played soccer, they'd be at the world cup without a fail.

The US national team which played against France on the 9th of June had 4 players playing in the US MLS. Only four out of 20. Because the US league just isn't at the standard.

I've never heard of any of the others. Saying that I don't really follow soccer much any more.

The fact that over 800k kids play on a soccer team in high school is significant. The same year 1,036,000 kids played high school football.

I get that soccer is not the top sport in the US. And those of us who are older see it as a new thing. But to say we don’t play soccer in the US just ignores the facts.

I'm still chuckling about the ice cream analogy. Perhaps you consider eating ice cream to be a sport. I don't.

But let's look at it with a sport. Let's say you played one game of tennis in the last 12 months. Would you say you don't play tennis?

No idea.

The fact that over 800k kids play on a soccer team in high school is significant. The same year 1,036,000 kids played high school football.

The statistic wasn't "kids play n a soccer team in high school"

The statistic was "participation in high school soccer".

Big difference.

Also this includes boys and girls, football, I assume, will only be boys.

I'm still chuckling about the ice cream analogy. Perhaps you consider eating ice cream to be a sport. I don't.

But let's look at it with a sport. Let's say you played one game of tennis in the last 12 months. Would you say you don't play tennis?

Not really sure how you get to consider that I might think ice cream is a sport. But some might.

Yes, I'd say if I played tennis once in 12 months, I'd say I don't play tennis.

The present simple tense is for things that you do in the present, the past and the future.

"I go to school by bus". Potentially you went today by bus, but you don't have to have gone today. You went to school by bus in the recent past and you'll go to school by bus in the future.

It's a habitual action.

If in the last 12 months you went to school by bus once, and it isn't habitual, you use the past simple tense, as I did.

Jeez. Lots of effort to defend a simple mistake.

If you're talking to me, then there is no mistake on my part.

That we don’t play soccer? The number of kids who played in high school is 77% of the number of kids who played football in high school. The number of people who paid to see a MLS game exceeds the number of people who paid to see either NBA games or NHL games. The number of people who have played soccer in the last year is huge.

Whether you like soccer or not, we play soccer in the US.

That we don’t play soccer? The number of kids who played in high school is 77% of the number of kids who played football in high school. The number of people who paid to see a MLS game exceeds the number of people who paid to see either NBA games or NHL games. The number of people who have played soccer in the last year is huge.

Wait, you just showed that the number of kids who played soccer was 1 in 20, that's 5%.

Now you're claiming, without evidence, that it's 77%. That's a nice big jump.

Also, playing soccer in school isn't the issue here. The issue is whether the US plays soccer.

Forced participation in a sport isn't a country playing a sport. Playing a sport is if you do in free time. If kids do it after school, if kids just get up off the sofa and go to the park to play it.

Does this happen?

NFL has changed. It's becoming a sport people watch on TV.

The highest average MLS attendence is 48,200. Not bad.

There are 33 English teams that have attendances that have been higher in their history. Only 7 Premier League clubs have average attendances that are equal to that.

The season attendance for last year was 8.2 million. The UK premier league was 14.5 for this season.

Average of 38.274 for the Premier League.
Average of 22,113 for the MLS.

That's quite a lot lower. For a country that is FIVE TIMES LARGER in terms of population too.

Where there's a difference is this.

The US has 23 teams. If a team finishes bottom, so what.

England has 20 teams in the top flight. If you do a Sunderland you get relegated if you finish bottom. If you finish bottom again the next season you get relegated again and again and again until you sort your life out.

So the US "pyramid" is 23 teams.

The English pyramid is seen here English football league system - Wikipedia under "the system"

How many teams? I don't know, too many to bother counting.

national-league-system-pyramid.jpg

This is why England plays soccer and the US doesn't.

The US has a lot of sports and lots to do, in most countries you have soccer and maybe basketball, in the US there is football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer, that divides the interest, I think that is why the soccer gurus wanted the World Cup in the US, they want to tap into the most lucrative market. The US doesn’t take soccer as seriously as other countries, countries such as Italy, Germany, England, Brazil, they have much of their identity and pride wrapped up in one sport.

Wait, you just showed that the number of kids who played soccer was 1 in 20, that's 5%.

Also, playing soccer in school isn't the issue here. The issue is whether the US plays soccer.

Forced participation in a sport isn't a country playing a sport. Playing a sport is if you do in free time. If kids do it after school, if kids just get up off the sofa and go to the park to play it.

Does this happen?

There are 33 English teams that have attendances that have been higher in their history. Only 7 Premier League clubs have average attendances that are equal to that.

The season attendance for last year was 8.2 million. The UK premier league was 14.5 for this season.

That's quite a lot lower. For a country that is FIVE TIMES LARGER in terms of population too.

England has 20 teams in the top flight. If you do a Sunderland you get relegated if you finish bottom. If you finish bottom again the next season you get relegated again and again and again until you sort your life out.

The English pyramid is seen here English football league system - Wikipedia under "the system"

"

Now you're claiming, without evidence, that it's 77%. That's a nice big jump."??? Really? Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

The US has a lot of sports and lots to do, in most countries you have soccer and maybe basketball, in the US there is football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer, that divides the interest, I think that is why the soccer gurus wanted the World Cup in the US, they want to tap into the most lucrative market. The US doesn’t take soccer as seriously as other countries, countries such as Italy, Germany, England, Brazil, they have much of their identity and pride wrapped up in one sport.

And the best athletes in the US typically play football, baseball or basketball.

Does this happen?

"

Now you're claiming, without evidence, that it's 77%. That's a nice big jump."??? Really? Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Oh who gives a fuck. You can silly fucking games, I really, REALLY don't give a shit. Go find someone else to play little games on.

I said what I want to say. Beyond that, I don't care.

Does this happen?

"

Oh who gives a fuck. You can silly fucking games, I really, REALLY don't give a shit. Go find someone else to play little games on.

I said what I want to say. Beyond that, I don't care.

I'm not playing games, just correcting your error on what I said.

Have a nice day.

We play a lot of different sports over here as well. Rugby and Cricket for example. But football dwarfs all of those sports in popularity. Mainly because it is so accessible. You dont need expensive equipment and you self referee.
They will be looking to make a lot of money in the US but they make a fortune wherever it is played. The game is well established in the US now and will grow and grow. There is a reason that it is the most popular sport in the world.

Forum List

Back