The US will host the next soccer world cup

How much is that fiasco going to cost the American Taxpayers?
We would be better off without it.

The US has a lot of sports and lots to do, in most countries you have soccer and maybe basketball, in the US there is football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer, that divides the interest, I think that is why the soccer gurus wanted the World Cup in the US, they want to tap into the most lucrative market. The US doesn’t take soccer as seriously as other countries, countries such as Italy, Germany, England, Brazil, they have much of their identity and pride wrapped up in one sport.

And the best athletes in the US typically play football, baseball or basketball.
The US has a lot of sports and lots to do, in most countries you have soccer and maybe basketball, in the US there is football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer, that divides the interest, I think that is why the soccer gurus wanted the World Cup in the US, they want to tap into the most lucrative market. The US doesn’t take soccer as seriously as other countries, countries such as Italy, Germany, England, Brazil, they have much of their identity and pride wrapped up in one sport.
We play a lot of different sports over here as well. Rugby and Cricket for example. But football dwarfs all of those sports in popularity. Mainly because it is so accessible. You dont need expensive equipment and you self referee.
They will be looking to make a lot of money in the US but they make a fortune wherever it is played. The game is well established in the US now and will grow and grow. There is a reason that it is the most popular sport in the world.

Baseball needs a ball and a mitt, and you don’t really need a mitt. Football you need a football, basketball you need a ball and a hoop, find those anywhere there is a school, soccer you need a ball and something to mark you goals, so really none need expensive equipment and I never spent a dime in any of those pickup games.

Soccer is growing and will continue to grow however it has slowed in recent years but it is steady. The issue is if we don’t win the Olympics or World championship in basketball it is a major deal, when we didn’t win the world baseball championships it was a big deal, when we didn’t qualify for the World Cup, it was barely acknowledged here. Italy did not qualify for the Cup and it is a big deal in Italy. There is not the passion for winning in soccer as there is in baseball and basketball. In the world, soccer’s premier league is in Europe, in basketball and baseball the world’s premier league is in the United States.

Jeez. Lots of effort to defend a simple mistake.

If you're talking to me, then there is no mistake on my part.

That we don’t play soccer? The number of kids who played in high school is 77% of the number of kids who played football in high school. The number of people who paid to see a MLS game exceeds the number of people who paid to see either NBA games or NHL games. The number of people who have played soccer in the last year is huge.

Whether you like soccer or not, we play soccer in the US.

Also to be fair, it doesn’t cost as much to go to a soccer game in the US as it does basketball, baseball or football. Soccer is played a lot in the US, kids play soccer at young ages and as they get older they seem to gravitate to other sports.

And the best athletes in the US typically play football, baseball or basketball.
We play a lot of different sports over here as well. Rugby and Cricket for example. But football dwarfs all of those sports in popularity. Mainly because it is so accessible. You dont need expensive equipment and you self referee.
They will be looking to make a lot of money in the US but they make a fortune wherever it is played. The game is well established in the US now and will grow and grow. There is a reason that it is the most popular sport in the world.

Baseball needs a ball and a mitt, and you don’t really need a mitt. Football you need a football, basketball you need a ball and a hoop, find those anywhere there is a school, soccer you need a ball and something to mark you goals, so really none need expensive equipment and I never spent a dime in any of those pickup games.

Soccer is growing and will continue to grow however it has slowed in recent years but it is steady. The issue is if we don’t win the Olympics or World championship in basketball it is a major deal, when we didn’t win the world baseball championships it was a big deal, when we didn’t qualify for the World Cup, it was barely acknowledged here. Italy did not qualify for the Cup and it is a big deal in Italy. There is not the passion for winning in soccer as there is in baseball and basketball. In the world, soccer’s premier league is in Europe, in basketball and baseball the world’s premier league is in the United States.
Thanks, I did not know there was an International scene in baseball. I know that it is popular in Cuba and Japan but didnt know there was a World Cup. The MLS seems to be a lot more stable than the old NASL and you can make a living out of the sport.
Obviously the money on offer wont attract kids who can make more by playing other US sports and this is what will hold it back. Youngsters will gravitate to sports where they can see a future. Its the same over here when kids have a choice between football and rugby where football wins every time.
There is no reason why the US cant be a major player in world football but you need to attract more of your top athletes.

soccer is Trump's favorite sport. he loves building walls...and he's been faking injuries since Nam!

How much is that fiasco going to cost the American Taxpayers?
We would be better off without it.

That "fiasco" will bring in up to $5 billion, with individual cities seeing a financial impact of $400 million to $600 million. Most of the infrastructure is already in place.

Forum List

Back