The US will host the next soccer world cup

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
Yahoo is now part of Oath

After this World Cup finishes in about a month, you'll have to wait until 2030 at the very least for the World Cup to be hosted by a country that actually plays soccer.

Oh, Mexico plays futbol but only has three stadia and will host 10 of the 80 matches.

I just can’t get excited about World Cup soccer, I try but other than the MSL, I really don’t care.

After this World Cup finishes in about a month, you'll have to wait until 2030 at the very least for the World Cup to be hosted by a country that actually plays soccer.

Oh, Mexico plays futbol but only has three stadia and will host 10 of the 80 matches.

There is a professional soccer league in the US and Canada. While not a threat to the NFL, it is certainly growing.

According to what I found online, the total attendance for MLS in 2000 was a shade over 2 million. In 2016 it had reached 7 million for 23 teams. In fact, more people in the US attended a MLS game than attended either NBA or NHL.

Atlanta United has had 3 games in the last 2 years that sold more than 70k tickets.

Two things I take from this. First they wanted a country (or countries) with the infrastructure to handle the World Cup with zero need for any additional construction.

Second, This gives lie to the whole "They will deny us the World Cup because of Trump" narrative that was going around a month or so ago.

There is a professional soccer league in the US and Canada. While not a threat to the NFL, it is certainly growing.

According to what I found online, the total attendance for MLS in 2000 was a shade over 2 million. In 2016 it had reached 7 million for 23 teams. In fact, more people in the US attended a MLS game than attended either NBA or NHL.

Atlanta United has had 3 games in the last 2 years that sold more than 70k tickets.

It is a growing sport, and the US has plenty of fan base for it to grow without impacting the other sports.

The one gripe you get from a lot of the more hardcore fans though is the lack of promotion/relegation with the lower levels of play, but that won't fly in the US (or even Canada for that matter).

We run fixed leagues here, and that isn't going to change.

Maybe you should realize America, Canada and Mexico has a major Futbol fan base and Women Futbol is big in America along with the growing support for men Futbol.

It amazes me how many like you live in this closed off world and believe Futbol is not popular in America or Canada...

Sure it does not rank up there with NFL Football or MLB Baseball as of yet but it is growing...

Houston might be one of the Cities that might host which would be great for the city seeing it has a Futbol team...

My bet is you are more upset that it has happen while Trump is President and not when Obama was President...

That doesn't mean the US plays soccer. It means it's playing in the US.

Actually in 2026 it does, because it will be the host country, at least the primary one.

Will Mexico and Canada get automatic bids as well? With the expanded field I would think they could swing it.

Mexico should be able to get in on their own, but it would be a boost to Canada, that's for sure.

My reaction - who cares?

A world cup would actually be a money maker here, as unlike the olympics no infrastructure improvements are really needed.

Some cities may use it as an excuse to improve their mass transit, but costs like that would be minimal compared to what most countries would have to do to get ready for a thing like this.

It means more Americans are going to pro soccer games than are going to NBA or NHL games.

It means more Americans are going to pro soccer games than are going to NBA or NHL games.

Yes, but it still doesn't mean the US plays soccer.

Go to US schools, how much is soccer played? Go to the parks, do you see soccer being played?

Among the hispanics maybe, beyond that, not so much.

Go to US schools, how much is soccer played? Go to the parks, do you see soccer being played?

You should get out more. Most schools have soccer teams. The US plays soccer and the US fans love going to the games.

But is your point that white people don't play?

You should get out more. Most schools have soccer teams. The US plays soccer and the US fans love going to the games.

Oh, accusations of racism now.

Oh, accusations of racism now.

I made no accusations at all. I asked a simple question.

And the question did not come out of the blue. You insist that Americans don't play soccer. And when you try to emphasize that, you make the comment that we don't see people playing soccer in parks ect. And then "Among hispanics maybe, beyond that, not so much". So you specified that is is hispanics (not Americans) who play soccer. I asked a question for clarification.

Now, as for who plays, let me help you out with some info. here is a link to a graph that shows the number of people in the US who played soccer in the last 12 months. And this tidbit in the caption, "In spring 2017, the number of people who played soccer within the last 12 months amounted to 15.86 million in the United States".

Here is a link to graphs showing that over 800k high school students played high school soccer. U.S. girls/boys high school soccer participation 2009-2017 | Statistic

Soccer is, on almost any poll, the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US. To say Americans don't play soccer is simply inaccurate.

My reaction - who cares?

A world cup would actually be a money maker here, as unlike the olympics no infrastructure improvements are really needed.

Some cities may use it as an excuse to improve their mass transit, but costs like that would be minimal compared to what most countries would have to do to get ready for a thing like this.

Atlanta is looking to get some of the games, including at least one of the finals. It will be a money maker for sure.

...I remember 1 WC final, or semi-final game where they played 90 minutes and no score
not too exciting for Americans ...illegals and recent immigrants probably
...and the US sucks--they can't even beat countries with populations many times lower than the US--even with recent immigrants on the team

...I remember 1 WC final, or semi-final game where they played 90 minutes and no score
not too exciting for Americans ...illegals and recent immigrants probably
...and the US sucks--they can't even beat countries with populations many times lower than the US--even with recent immigrants on the team

I'm not a soccer fan, by any stretch of the imagination. But I did get to go to an Atlanta United game. Very low scoring, but not boring. A lot of action and amazing endurance athletes.

Forum List

Back