The "Unforgivable" Sin

No problem here at USMB. Christians will cuss you out in a heartbeat and not worry a bit.

Regards from Rosie

The unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit, not cussing in general.
All other sins can be forgiven but not that.
But he is correct in the rest of his message.

The unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit, not cussing in general.

So you can be forgiven for mass killing poeple, infecting someone with aids through a random needle etc but you cant say goddamn? Jesus Christ, what a remarkable spirit!

I thought...but I am no expert on Christianity...that successful suicide is the unforgivable sin since it is the only one from which repentance is impossible. That justified not burying suicides in hallowed ground.

Regards from Rosie

I thought...but I am no expert on Christianity...that successful suicide is the unforgivable sin since it is the only one from which repentance is impossible. That justified not burying suicides in hallowed ground.

Regards from Rosie

The Bible teaches that from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38-39). If no “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing,” then not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, that would still be a sin covered by the blood of Christ.

Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Serious doubts could be raised about the genuineness of faith of anyone who claimed to be a Christian yet committed suicide. There is no circumstance that can justify someone, especially a Christian, taking his/her own life. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision on when to die is God’s and God’s alone. Although it is not describing suicide, 1 Corinthians 3:15 is probably a good description of what happens to a Christian who commits suicide: “He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”

You will be judged for it,and it is not very pleasant thing to have to go through.

Apparently the op does not actually understand what blaspheming the Holy Spirit means

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil. This is unforgivable.

The writer to the Hebrews speaks of those who have "insulted the Spirit of grace" For those who have done this, he says, "there remains no more a sacrifice for sins" (Heb 10:26-31). So here we have a case where a person has insulted the Holy Spirit and consequently been denied the sacrifice of Christ. This seems to be a parallel to what Jesus said. If we examine what this person has done, we will clarify the nature of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

What has the person done to have insulted the Spirit of grace and to have no sacrifice for sins? The Hebrew writer is quite clear about this. We are in this situation "if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth" (Heb 10:26-27).

We see therefore that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not just a matter of a verbal insult. It is an attitude of heart which is in purposeful rebellion against truth.

Last edited:
really, all sins are unforgivable - just those that can be undone would allow a person hope for remittance to the Everlasting.

killing a person can not be undone, ergo: unforgivable when unjustified ... a person can repent Blasphemy.

If God exists, it is up to God what is forgivable. It is quite possible that what a human could not forgive, God could.
I have often thought that, if the God and heaven business is true, we'll all wake up there pretty much laughing or embarrassed about how seriously we took the silly things in life. Wouldn't be surprising to find Hitler and Stalin there, either.
Not that I do believe in all that. It is simply the principle of God that seems to determine this would be the case.

really, all sins are unforgivable - just those that can be undone would allow a person hope for remittance to the Everlasting.

killing a person can not be undone, ergo: unforgivable when unjustified ... a person can repent Blasphemy.

That is an interesting view. A person may indeed regret slander - but how to unring that bell? It's not possible to guarantee you can reach and convince every person who was exposed to the slander,that you were in error and regret having maligned another person.

So slander is pretty well 'unforgivable' - at least in this world. Who knows what happens after death?

Apparently the op does not actually understand what blaspheming the Holy Spirit means

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil. This is unforgivable.

If this sin is unforgivable, then god is not all-powerful.

This "sin" is an obvious clause put in by humans to assure political power for any countries that adopt christianity in a theocracy. If you deny the spirit, you are banned from the religion, and ousted from society. This is a method of control for people, not a doctrine of truth. I am referring to the entire bible. This clause is evidence of human tampering, as no all-powerful would actually give a shit and be powerless to save his creations from eternal torment for such a minute and inconsequential transgression. Surely, if he is willing to send people to eternal torment for this crime, then this god is evil.

Last edited:
No problem here at USMB. Christians will cuss you out in a heartbeat and not worry a bit.

Regards from Rosie

And apparently if these Christians did not cuss around here it would not matter to you or your beliefs anyway, correct?

I listened to most of this guy's speech and I thought it was pretty well on the mark. Sins of omission far outweigh our sins of commission. Matthew 25 is rather piercing.

But I will take exception to his comment that went something like "yes, we are saved by grace and not by works but...." But what? Is he implying that if we believe and accept Christ as our Savior that upon death we are still allowed into the kingdom despite our lack of charity?

That is my question.

If God exists, it is up to God what is forgivable. It is quite possible that what a human could not forgive, God could.
I have often thought that, if the God and heaven business is true, we'll all wake up there pretty much laughing or embarrassed about how seriously we took the silly things in life. Wouldn't be surprising to find Hitler and Stalin there, either.
Not that I do believe in all that. It is simply the principle of God that seems to determine this would be the case.

You're right it's all up to God. You're right, Hitler and Stalin could be up there, we do not know.

But this much we do know. There is a hell and not everyone makes it to heaven. And based on your rather indifferent attitude to all this, I might suggest you are increasing your risk.

I listened to most of this guy's speech and I thought it was pretty well on the mark. Sins of omission far outweigh our sins of commission. Matthew 25 is rather piercing.

But I will take exception to his comment that went something like "yes, we are saved by grace and not by works but...." But what? Is he implying that if we believe and accept Christ as our Savior that upon death we are still allowed into the kingdom despite our lack of charity?

That is my question.

Yes you are.
But you might be put out, at the outer regions of heaven in a small little one bedroom shack. Rather than the many Mansions that are there.
In other words, you won't be able to reap much of the rewards given in heaven.

That is my question.

Yes you are.
But you might be put out, at the outer regions of heaven in a small little one bedroom shack. Rather than the many Mansions that are there.
In other words, you won't be able to reap much of the rewards given in heaven.

I appreciate your offering up your opinion or beliefs. My beliefs do differ, but align with Catholic teaching. God's justice and mercy are made manifest in a place called purgatory. There we are purified of all of our laziness, sinfulness, etc. God is not one to be mocked (by some believer claiming if not demanding entrance into the holy kingdom) nor is anything defiled allowed into the kingdom as spoken of in Revelations.

Scripture backs up a place for mercy and justice to be meted out, much more than it suggests an "outer region" of heaven where we just scrape by to get in. That is my belief.

Forum List

Back