The truth about Newt Gingrich’s first divorce

Well, this thread sure shot down that other bullshit thread about the “cancer bed divorce” myth...

Don't you clowns ever fact-check anything...?

By Cynthia Tucker

I’ve known Newt Gingrich for a long time. I remember when he was first elected to Congress from Georgia, and I remember his swift rise as a pugilistic, bombastic back-bencher. He can be fun in conversation if you enjoy intellectual combat, and I do. He can also be pompous, self-serving, overweening and hypocritical. He uses words as weapons, with little regard for whether what he says is actually true. If he has a moral core, it’s hard to pinpoint.

I have known the Newtster long enough that I remember his very unpleasant divorce from his first wife, Jackie. That’s bound to come up since he’s now holding the anti-Romney chair in the parlor game that passes for a GOP presidential primary. And, over the years, he’s done a reasonably good job of playing defense on that subject, persuading many journalists that their initial reports of that divorce were wrong.

No, Jackie Battley Gingrich was not on her deathbed. Those who said so were wrong since she’s still alive.

Last year, one of his daughters, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, wrote a revisionist history of the infamous hospital visit, in which she even claimed that it was her mother, Jackie, who wanted to end the marriage. Perhaps that’s true. I don’t know since I was not there.

But I do know the younger Jackie’s version of events is quite different from what her mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, told The Washington Post in 1985. Newt’s first wife told Lois Romano:

“He can say we had been talking about it (a divorce) for tne years, but the truth is that it came as a complete surprise. He’s a great wordsmith. . .He walked out in the spring of 1980 and I retruned to Georgia. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said Daddy is downstairs and could he come up? When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from surgery.”​

romanopost1.png

Why bring that up when there is so much other Gingrich baggage to discuss? I just wanted to set the record straight since that was a crucial piece of my early understanding of the Newster.

Sooo, now we know the truth - directly from the mouth of Newt's first wife, Jackie Battley.

How are you righties going to spin this...?
Have you nothing substantive on which to focus.
Gingrich is now topping the GOP polls and you freaks on the left have turned your talons on him...
All style over substance.
It's the liberal play book at work.
You little neighborhood gossip..

Is "fear" why you rightie clowns bash Obama...?

Actually yes, in a way - fear of what the implications are about a nation which would elect Obama, and especially the implications of the media which would do everything in their power to facilitate it.

When people like Tom Brokaw and Charlie Rose are talking like this days before the election, you know due diligence wasn't done. And it is terrifying that we as an American people let that happen.

Charlie Rose - A conversation with Tom Brokaw

So, we're loud, and maybe louder than we need to be, because we still can't tell whether people are listening and thinking or not. So maybe we're a little strident in our desperate attempts to wake people up, but the fact that Obama got to be president with as little experience/exposure as he had justifies our alarm.

You people really need to snap out of your delusional stupor.

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

Seriously.

if you voted for mr obama, i'd avoid the use of words like *delusional* and *stupor*.

no need to thank me; virtue is its own reward. :thup:

Actually yes, in a way - fear of what the implications are about a nation which would elect Obama, and especially the implications of the media which would do everything in their power to facilitate it.

When people like Tom Brokaw and Charlie Rose are talking like this days before the election, you know due diligence wasn't done. And it is terrifying that we as an American people let that happen.

Charlie Rose - A conversation with Tom Brokaw

So, we're loud, and maybe louder than we need to be, because we still can't tell whether people are listening and thinking or not. So maybe we're a little strident in our desperate attempts to wake people up, but the fact that Obama got to be president with as little experience/exposure as he had justifies our alarm.

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

Seriously.

if you voted for mr obama, i'd avoid the use of words like *delusional* and *stupor*.

Absolutely!!!!! McCain and Palin would have been sooo much better...

Well, this thread sure shot down that other bullshit thread about the “cancer bed divorce” myth...

Don't you clowns ever fact-check anything...?
Why would someone fact check on something they don't care about?

Why do you care about soaps?

Lakhota takes notes when he watches Days of our Lives so he can remember all the "facts".

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

Seriously.

Yes. Even McCain would have been vastly better than President Obumbler.

"The truth about Gingrich's first divorce" brought to us by the people who ignored the "bimbo eruption" squad. Bill Clinton set the standard for sleaze. Who cares about a regular divorce?

Duh, Bill Clinton has never been dee-vorced... he's a family man...
No but he was getting blow jobs in the halls of the White House and pseudo screwing that fat bitch Lewinski with his Davydovs.
Who but a sexual deviant would shove his cigar into his paramour's twat and have a lick?
I actually liked Clinton as much as I could stand a democrat. Even if had played nookie with someone other than his wife and got busted and not lied about it and did it in a hotel, I would have said, "oh well, that's what the power of the Office will do for you."
I am sure Clinton was not the first Chief Executive to run around on his wife.

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

Seriously.

Well, yes, they would have.

They wouldn't have wasted the first year of their tenure making potentially unconstitutional vanity legislation when they should have been paying attention to the economy.

What little good Obama has done is more than the nation deserves after electing him. We are lucky that he hasn't been as bad as he might have been. He was a blank slate upon which the masses projected their hopes and desires.

By Cynthia Tucker

I’ve known Newt Gingrich for a long time. I remember when he was first elected to Congress from Georgia, and I remember his swift rise as a pugilistic, bombastic back-bencher. He can be fun in conversation if you enjoy intellectual combat, and I do. He can also be pompous, self-serving, overweening and hypocritical. He uses words as weapons, with little regard for whether what he says is actually true. If he has a moral core, it’s hard to pinpoint.

I have known the Newtster long enough that I remember his very unpleasant divorce from his first wife, Jackie. That’s bound to come up since he’s now holding the anti-Romney chair in the parlor game that passes for a GOP presidential primary. And, over the years, he’s done a reasonably good job of playing defense on that subject, persuading many journalists that their initial reports of that divorce were wrong.

No, Jackie Battley Gingrich was not on her deathbed. Those who said so were wrong since she’s still alive.

Last year, one of his daughters, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, wrote a revisionist history of the infamous hospital visit, in which she even claimed that it was her mother, Jackie, who wanted to end the marriage. Perhaps that’s true. I don’t know since I was not there.

But I do know the younger Jackie’s version of events is quite different from what her mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, told The Washington Post in 1985. Newt’s first wife told Lois Romano:

“He can say we had been talking about it (a divorce) for tne years, but the truth is that it came as a complete surprise. He’s a great wordsmith. . .He walked out in the spring of 1980 and I retruned to Georgia. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said Daddy is downstairs and could he come up? When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from surgery.”​

romanopost1.png

Why bring that up when there is so much other Gingrich baggage to discuss? I just wanted to set the record straight since that was a crucial piece of my early understanding of the Newster.

Sooo, now we know the truth - directly from the mouth of Newt's first wife, Jackie Battley.

How is it that an opinion piece written by a columnist well known to be firmly on the Left, becomes the gospel?

Sooo, it's a "soap opera" when a leftie tries to correct the record... Cool, Marsha...

I'm simply commenting on your drooling interest in National Enquirer fodder. THAT is interesting. Your subject matter is not, unless you like soaps and the such. I don't.

Duh, it was actually The Washington Post.
Same difference. Both are each yellow journalism liberal rags.

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

Seriously.

i don't recall making any reference to mccain or palin?

perhaps you could point it out?

By Cynthia Tucker

romanopost1.png

Sorry on Jackie. Fuck you and the fact you couldn't keep the man.

I'd sure as hell would know how to deal with him. So you couldn't and now you want to be a bitch who takes him out in an election.

Tell ya what bitch from the left wing side, and trust me, I am going to decimate all those who are coming out now, fuck you. fuck you that you couldn't keep newt satisfied.

Jackie, why did you fail Newt? Nothing to spin. Left wing bitches only care about themselves and have no use to satisfy their men.

So why did the bitch fail Newt?

Not only is Noot politically too divisive, he's morally reprehensible.

No one could trust him further than they could fling his fat, slovenly buttocks.

Besides, the Republicans have already played this tape before. It ended with them throwing Noot out on his fat, slovenly buttocks.

What is it with you loopy FarRWers that makes you think he would be anything worth of value to the gen pop AFTER you folks have already spewed him out of the deepest recesses of your filthy RW bowels?

Noot needs to GTFOH!!!!

KickButt.gif

And STAY out!!!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back