The Ten Poorest Cities--This May Surprise You

That's because it isn't even a little bit true.
If that's what allows you to sleep soundly at night.

then prove it? you are talking out your ass $43K for being poor, you wouldn't be poor getting that much money.get real

I do not know where he got that number and I wont defend ity although I would not be surprised if it is accurate.

So lets look at 2 years from now based on legislation.

Family of four.
Household income 20K.
Free Health insurance adds another 14K
So already at 34K before food stamps and welfare.....9k below the 43K
9K in food stamps and welfare comes down to about 190 a week (off the cuff).
Would you say that stamps and welfare at 190 a week sounds about right?

☭proletarian☭;2038330 said:
☭proletarian☭;2035586 said:
Isn't Ahnald a Republican?

How's california doin'?

Now, are you done with the sad partisan hackery? Are you ready to discuss real solutions?

Arnold is just a part of the reason.....try one of the worst legislatures in the country....one who's members keep on getting elected,over and over....

are you saying the people of California are retarded?
Retarded? no that is a problem the individual has no control over....but if you keep voting for the same jerks or the same kinda jerks who have helped make this place go from arguably the best place on earth to live to what it has become now.... i would call you an idiot....and there lots of them out here....people who have no idea about whom or what they are voting for.....voted for this guy or this proposition because my Union said its in my best interest OR someone told me to vote this way,because they are more informed then me...and then there are those who will say...."its your assembly person who sucks,mine is just fine"......these are the morons i speak of.....

the $43K a year for a poor person seems very bogus to me
How much do you pay in rent, food and health care monthly. Add on to that about $6,000 - $7,000 for a tax "refund" check the government gives them at the end of the year.

Do you have anything to back up your make-believe numbers? Like a link?

I feel like its possible for someone to get that much in benefits - if they knew about every little program they could apply for. But to claim that "all the poor" get that, you're full of shit.
i would like to see this also.....my sister-in-law a single mom with 2 kids (husband passed)...fits the poor income description....she doesnt get no 6 thousand dollar check.....

The twenty states in the US with the lowest per capita income. See a pattern here?

States of the United States of America by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iowa – $19,674
Texas – $19,617
Nebraska – $19,613
Maine – $19,367
Tennessee – $19,393
Wyoming – $19,134
South Carolina – $18,795
Alabama – $18,189
Utah – $18,185
Kentucky – $18,093
Idaho – $17,841
North Dakota – $17,769
Oklahoma – $17,646
South Dakota – $17,562
New Mexico – $17,261
Montana – $17,151
Louisiana – $16,912
Arkansas – $16,904
West Virginia – $16,477
Mississippi – $15,853

Balance of payments, minus means money out that is goes elsewhere through the federal government, plus means money received over that that the federal government recieves from that state.

See a pattern here, Conservetives? Why don't you guys get off you sorry asses and get a job?

ST BOP 1999 1992-2008
-- ---------- -
CT -$2,840.00 B
NJ -$2,342.00 B
NH -$1,787.00 B
IL -$1,669.00 B
NV -$1,583.00 B
MN -$1,294.00 B
MI -$1,042.00 B
BE -$1,025.00 B
MA -$895.00 B
NY -$890.00 B
WI -$887.00 B
CA -$685.00 B
WA -$533.00 B
OR -$483.00 B
OH -$344.00 B
FL $47.00 B
PA $256.00 B
VT $343.00 B
RI $528.00 B
IA $750.00 B
MO $1,187.00 B
ME $1,324.00 B
MB $1,770.00 B
HI $1,982.00 B
NM $3,944.00 B

CO -$620.00 R
IN -$399.00 R
TX -$189.00 R
GA -$29.00 R
NC $146.00 R
UT $230.00 R
NE $320.00 R
KS $373.00 R
WY $386.00 R
IB $829.00 R
AZ $904.00 R
TN $961.00 R
SC $1,265.00 R
LA $1,576.00 R
KY $1,595.00 R
AR $1,633.00 R
OK $1,866.00 R
AL $2,091.00 R
SB $2,327.00 R
MS $2,684.00 R
AK $2,777.00 R
WV $2,808.00 R
NB $3,043.00 R
VA $3,069.00 R
MT $3,109.00 R

AvgBOP Red $1,310.20
AvgBOP Blue $-$246.72

Balance of Payments: Red States on Federal Welfare.. And Complaining!! - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Another thread to bash Democrats instead of discussing meaningful solutions to this problem? Never mind. I had forgotten for a moment this was USMB.

The meaningful solution:

Reject democratic economic policy.

No. In this case Dogbert is almost right. The problem is not Democrats. The problem is a mindset that more government involvement, more government money is the problem, and a failure to understand that the more the government spends, the less the private sector has to solve its own problems.

Admittedly the Democratic Party has long promoted that idea. But the GOP isn't off the hook there either. One is Progressive. The other Progressive lite.

So we should be promoting good Democatric economic policy--every once in awhile they do get something right--and we should be promoting good GOP economic policy in the same way.

But the emphasis should be on promoting economic policy that has proved its worth. And yes, that would be mostly conservatism as the term is defined in modern America.

Arnold is just a part of the reason.....try one of the worst legislatures in the country....one who's members keep on getting elected,over and over....

Retarded? no that is a problem the individual has no control over....but if you keep voting for the same jerks or the same kinda jerks who have helped make this place go from arguably the best place on earth to live to what it has become now.... i would call you an idiot....and there lots of them out here....people who have no idea about whom or what they are voting for.....voted for this guy or this proposition because my Union said its in my best interest OR someone told me to vote this way,because they are more informed then me...and then there are those who will say...."its your assembly person who sucks,mine is just fine"......these are the morons i speak of.....

So the masses are too stupid for a democratic system to work?

☭proletarian☭;2039256 said:

Stupid? No.
Wishful thinkers? Yes.

We have become so successful as a nation, we only assume the best can happen for us...and so when a politician says "I got an idea and it will work", people say "go for it".

That is not stupid. That is optimism. We need to be more skeptical when putting personal decsions in the hands of someone else

TEN POOREST CITIES
% of People Below the Poverty Level

1. Detroit, MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo, NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati, OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland, OH 27.0%
5. Miami, FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis, MO 26.8%
7. El Paso, TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee, WI 26.2%
9. Philadelphia, PA 25.1%
10. Newark, NJ 24.2%

It seems like minorities are especially hurting.

Population statistics by race:

1. Detroit: White 12%, African American 82%, Other/Mixed 5%
2. Buffalo, NY: White 54%, African American 37%, Other/Mixed 7%
3. Cincinnati, OH: White 53%, African American 43%, Other/Mixed 2%
4. Cleveland, OH: White 41%, African American 51%, Other/Mixed 7%
5. Miami, FL: White 67%, African American 22%, Other/Mixed 10%
5. St. Louis, MO: White 44%, African American 51%, Other/Mixed 3%
7. El Paso, TX: White 73%, African American 3%, Other/Mixed 22%
8. Milwaukee, WI: White 50%, African American 37%, Other/Mixed 9%
9. Philadelphia, PA: White 45%, African American 43%, Other/Mixed 8%
10. Newark, NJ: White 27%, African American 53%, Other/Mixed 19%

I'm sure Obama is on top of this problem.

This is exactly what I expected...I wonder how the top ten city crime rates compare to this list. What I don't understand is why the Democrats continually say they are for raising up the poor out of poverty ....yet.... the numbers of poor continually increase when they control the Congress and the White House.

Balance of payments, minus means money out that is goes elsewhere through the federal government, plus means money received over that that the federal government recieves from that state.

See a pattern here, Conservetives? Why don't you guys get off you sorry asses and get a job?

ST BOP 1999 1992-2008
-- ---------- -
CT -$2,840.00 B
NJ -$2,342.00 B
NH -$1,787.00 B
IL -$1,669.00 B
NV -$1,583.00 B
MN -$1,294.00 B
MI -$1,042.00 B
BE -$1,025.00 B
MA -$895.00 B
NY -$890.00 B
WI -$887.00 B
CA -$685.00 B
WA -$533.00 B
OR -$483.00 B
OH -$344.00 B
FL $47.00 B
PA $256.00 B
VT $343.00 B
RI $528.00 B
IA $750.00 B
MO $1,187.00 B
ME $1,324.00 B
MB $1,770.00 B
HI $1,982.00 B
NM $3,944.00 B

CO -$620.00 R
IN -$399.00 R
TX -$189.00 R
GA -$29.00 R
NC $146.00 R
UT $230.00 R
NE $320.00 R
KS $373.00 R
WY $386.00 R
IB $829.00 R
AZ $904.00 R
TN $961.00 R
SC $1,265.00 R
LA $1,576.00 R
KY $1,595.00 R
AR $1,633.00 R
OK $1,866.00 R
AL $2,091.00 R
SB $2,327.00 R
MS $2,684.00 R
AK $2,777.00 R
WV $2,808.00 R
NB $3,043.00 R
VA $3,069.00 R
MT $3,109.00 R

AvgBOP Red $1,310.20
AvgBOP Blue $-$246.72

Balance of Payments: Red States on Federal Welfare.. And Complaining!! - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Complete fucking hogwash. If all States had an equal number of residents, equal employment etc. you could make a case but this is about as biased as you can get. It's people like you who believe shit like this that makes the Democrat Party look like a bunch of fricken dumb asses.

Stupid? No.
Wishful thinkers? Yes.

We have become so successful as a nation, we only assume the best can happen for us...and so when a politician says "I got an idea and it will work", people say "go for it".

That is not stupid. That is optimism. We need to be more skeptical when putting personal decsions in the hands of someone else

So they're too ignorant and naive?

you can read it any way you want Dude.....the results have been in for a while now....

TEN POOREST CITIES

1. Detroit, MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo, NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati, OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland, OH 27.0%
5. Miami, FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis, MO 26.8%
7. El Paso, TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee, WI 26.2%
10. Newark, NJ 24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.
Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1954.
Cincinnati, OH (3rd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984.
Cleveland, OH (4th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989.
Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor.
St. Louis, MO (6th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949.
El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor.
Milwaukee, WI (8th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908.
Philadelphia, PA (9th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952.
Newark, NJ (10th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.'---:cuckoo:

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats, yet they are still poor.

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." --Abraham Lincoln
So, elect a Republican mayor and everyone's on Easy Street, eh? That's the simple conclusion you seem to have drawn.

But take a closer look. Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee. All "North Coast" cities with diminishing industrial opportunities. Globalization and "free" trade ruined these cities along with Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Newark and St. Louis.

El Paso and Miami? Immigration.

Simple minds crave simple solutions. As if electing a Republican mayor would solve everyone's problems!

No, electing a Republican would not solve the problems. I did some looking into economic policies a few years ago and came across a study that was completed that showed a correlation between the policies of Coleman Young (the Detroit mayor for almost 20 years) and the amount of people who were poor. His policies of taxing the wealthy forced them to leave the City and by so doing took their jobs and any chance at the taxes with them. So, industries were diminished in Detroit because of a Democratic mayor's policies.

Detroit has had a Democratic mayor for decades. They have had plenty of chances to turn it around. What has kept them there is their promises of helping the poor. So, the way to stay in power as the mayor is to make sure the poor stay poor, or even increase the number of poor. The fact Coleman Young was able to do this for so many years and not really improve the situation in Detroit is astounding to me.

What we need to do is learn that the types of policies that seem to carry a "get even with the rich" attitude need to stop.

Stupid? No.
Wishful thinkers? Yes.

you should also try to find out a little about the person your voting for....not because someone told me "this guy is who you should vote for" or he is from my party.......

TEN POOREST CITIES

1. Detroit, MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo, NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati, OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland, OH 27.0%
5. Miami, FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis, MO 26.8%
7. El Paso, TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee, WI 26.2%
10. Newark, NJ 24.2%

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.'---:cuckoo:

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." --Abraham Lincoln

This thread is too long to read all the posts, so if someone already brought this up I apologize, but the other thing they have in common is that they are all union strongholds.

TEN POOREST CITIES

1. Detroit, MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo, NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati, OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland, OH 27.0%
5. Miami, FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis, MO 26.8%
7. El Paso, TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee, WI 26.2%
10. Newark, NJ 24.2%

This thread is too long to read all the posts, so if someone already brought this up I apologize, but the other thing they have in common is that they are all union strongholds.

This was posted already in the thread.

But what you're missing is that they're all manufacturing industry cities (which are mostly union). And since the neo-liberal economic policies make it more profitable to out-source manufacturing, the US no longer has a manufacturing blue collar base (which are mostly union, yes).

Also, Miami is very much NOT a union stronghold.

Forum List

Back