Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Christian: no

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Everyone else: yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Everyone else: no

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Would you shoot an intruder who came into your house with the intention of harming your family? If yes, you've broken the 6th commandment.

I do not honor commandments #1-4, because I believe in and worship other gods that YHWH. #5, sure, no problem. #6, would not kill under normal circumstances, but some killing is justifiable. #7-10, sure no problem.

Your survey does not offer a legitimate response for people like me.

Last edited:
Funny bit about this on an old episode of "The West Wing" about some town somewhere wanting to abolish all laws except the 10 commandments to which some chars replied like, "Coveting thy neighbor's wife will be a problem. And if asked about it I'd probably bear false-witness." :)

Problem with theocratic laws is they all assume an all-powerful all-knowing god will always know if you broke them or not. Thus they're not easily enforced by mortal men. How dya know if someone covets his neighbor's wife, or truly believes in God without being able to read their mind?

Some of them are just common sense. I think most people follow the most serious ones, like thou shalt not kill, etc.

Interesting though, since the Ten Commandments are from the OT and not the NT, and many Christians claim that they don't follow the OT.

If one were honest you'd have to wonder whether the ten commandments even existed. The last century was one of horror and this one ain't starting out so marvelously. So then pretending these old tablet words have any real meaning in life is surely a waste of time. How about we all follow the golden rule? That too is part of religion and equally ignored. The ten below may work better but they too involve humans, so chances are good all is lost. ;)

The New Ten Commandments

"Trouble no one about their religion, respect all in their views, and demand that they respect yours." Chief Tecumseh

Some of them are just common sense. I think most people follow the most serious ones, like thou shalt not kill, etc.

Interesting though, since the Ten Commandments are from the OT and not the NT, and many Christians claim that they don't follow the OT.

6th is you shall not murder, not 'kill.' And yes it matters. :)

Would you shoot an intruder who came into your house with the intention of harming your family? If yes, you've broken the 6th commandment.

I do not honor commandments #1-4, because I believe in and worship other gods that YHWH. #5, sure, no problem. #6, would not kill under normal circumstances, but some killing is justifiable. #7-10, sure no problem.

Wrong, though shalt not murder is different from killing in self defense.

The Ten Commandments are the legal and moral foundation for Western Civilization. If everyone even remotely followed even parts of it, we wouldn't be having all the wars and suffering. Unfortunately, since we as humans are sinners the Ten Commandments are hard to follow. We all break them several times each day.

The Ten Commandments are the legal and moral foundation for Western Civilization. If everyone even remotely followed even parts of it, we wouldn't be having all the wars and suffering. Unfortunately, since we as humans are sinners the Ten Commandments are hard to follow. We all break them several times each day.

Really? You're committing adultery and murdering people several times each day?

Busy boy.

Really? You're committing adultery and murdering people several times each day?

Busy boy.

No but coveting, lying, bearing false witness, etc. those are standard, especially in business. Every time you are checking out a married woman or even as a married man checking out a woman, you are committing a sin. And I do plenty of that. Do you do any kind of physical or creative work on Saturday or as a Christian on Sunday? If you aren't busy resting and worshiping, then you are committing sin. The Ten Commandments are ideal and what we should aspire to, but difficult to follow, especially in the modern technological world. That's why we as Jews and Christians are constantly asking God for forgiveness.

that's not correct. the actual language, before mistranslation, is "thou shalt not murder". self defense, defense of others and defense of property has never been considered murder and those options are ok under the 10 commandments.

No but coveting, lying, bearing false witness, etc. those are standard, especially in business. Every time you are checking out a married women or even as a married man checking out a woman, you are committing a sin. Do you do any kind of physical or creative work on Saturday or as a Christian on Sunday? If you aren't busy resting and worshiping, then you are committing sin. The Ten Commandments are ideal and what we should aspire to. That's why we as Jews and Christians are constantly asking God for forgiveness.

I don't covet, lie, or bear false witness. I don't check out other men, I am loyal to my spouse. I do not worship your god.

Maybe you should stop asking for forgiveness, and concentrate on living a better life.

No but coveting, lying, bearing false witness, etc. those are standard, especially in business. Every time you are checking out a married women or even as a married man checking out a woman, you are committing a sin. Do you do any kind of physical or creative work on Saturday or as a Christian on Sunday? If you aren't busy resting and worshiping, then you are committing sin. The Ten Commandments are ideal and what we should aspire to. That's why we as Jews and Christians are constantly asking God for forgiveness.

I don't covet, lie, or bear false witness. I don't check out other men, I am loyal to my spouse. I do not worship your god.

Maybe you should stop asking for forgiveness, and concentrate on living a better life.

Well I didn't know you are a woman. And you have every right to worship or not worship. I am not a religious person myself but the Ten Commandments are a great set of rules for societies to live by. We as humans do lie and say falsehoods knowingly and unknowingly and I am sure you at times have been jealous, which is natural, but even that is breaking the Ten Commandments. And if you say that you've never lied or coveted something others have then you are lying.

Should we follow them: yay or nay?
Requires people to follow the judeo-christian god? Kinda goes against the 1st Amendment, doesn't it?

And I know lots and lots of christians who are not really fond of the 8th one.

Why would following the ten commandments be problematic for the first amendment?

We do?

More importantly, do we have to? Why don't we work to live them? God said if we love Him we will keep His commandments. We may sin but that doesn't mean we need to continue to sin. And it seems to me the ten commandments is a good place to start.

Why are we upset over ten commandment monuments being removed if we wont bother living them? Did God give them to us to display and ignore or did He think they were important for us to live and write on our hearts?

Speak for yourself. I haven't violated a single Commandment in over half a century. It is easy to follow these simple rules. In fact, you can adhere to the Ten Commandments and have a grand old time. You can fornicate to your heart's desire, drink, smoke pot, gamble, indulge yourself with your favorite foods, watch countless hours of sports on TV, travel the world and engage in every sensual pleasure except for that which involves adultery.

Out of curiosity, which Commandments do you break several times every day? I bet you'll say that "covet" part. The word "covet" means to seriously desire something that belongs to someone else. Maybe you have a problem with that but I do not. Those who have lived a full rich rewarding life covet nothing. Only those who feel lacking covet.

Speak for yourself. I haven't violated a single Commandment in over half a century. It is easy to follow these simple rules. In fact, you can adhere to the Ten Commandments and have a grand old time. You can fornicate to your heart's desire, drink, smoke pot, gamble, indulge yourself with your favorite foods, watch countless hours of sports on TV, travel the world and engage in every sensual pleasure except for that which involves adultery.

Out of curiosity, which Commandments do you break several times every day? I bet you'll say that "covet" part. The word "covet" means to seriously desire something that belongs to someone else. Maybe you have a problem with that but I do not. Those who have lived a full rich rewarding life covet nothing. Only those who feel lacking covet.

Well you are perfect, I'm not. Your arrogance in itself is a sin. There's a specific word for your type in the OT, ah yes, "stiff necked". Doing business and getting ahead in life is to covet, plot and / or take what others have. I'm also sure that if you ever saw a pretty woman wearing revealing attire, you would never check her out, cause you were too busy being perfect and thinking about God, right? Just like attorneys never "bear false witness", sure sure. LOL

Well I didn't know you are a woman. And you have every right to worship or not worship. I am not a religious person myself but the Ten Commandments are a great set of rules for societies to live by. We as humans do lie and say falsehoods knowingly and unknowingly and I am sure you at times have been jealous, which is natural, but even that is breaking the Ten Commandments. And if you say that you've never lied or coveted something others have then you are lying.

The 10 commandments don't mention lying, they mention bearing false witness. I've never impeached someone's character falsely. I also don't covet people's spouses, property, or slaves. It's not in my nature.

I am not sure that you even have read the 10 commandments recently, and yet, you think they are wonderful. You are not religious, but you want people in the U.S. to be bound to commandments 1-4, which state that there are no other gods than YHWH? How does that square with the first amendment?

I do not think you have given this much thought or study.

Can you even list all 10 commandments?

Forum List

Back