The Teachings of Jesus Christ

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
Of all the teachings of Jesus Christ, which one is your personal favorite?

When one understands the difference between immortality and eternal life, my favorite teaching of Christ is:

Doctrine and Covenants 14:7
7 And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God.

Growing up, I wasn't blessed with a lot of self-confidence. Thus, "You are the salt of the earth" became one of my favorites. It sums up how God sees each of us.

"He without sin be the first to cast a stone".

His miracles aside, some of his best work in my opinion. Plenty to choose from of course. I also like his perspective on worrying, how it will not add an hour to your life.

Jesus' teachings revolve around a single, awesome reality, which is that the Messiah will usher the end of the Jewish age and the beginning of the Christian age. No more will God's people live in idolatry and wander in exile among their pagan oppressors, as the Israelites had done through their history.

When Jesus took the Kingdom away from them and gave it to the Christians (which, of course, included Jews who believed), God's people no longer lived in idolatry and oppression; they conquered. Jesus began his reign from heaven as the union of heaven and earth, and his church changed the world.

A new heaven and a new earth. Awesome for individuals to behold once individuals realize that history does not begin with them.

listen-up-folks-if-you-want-some-fish-and-bread-youre-going-to-have-to-piss-in-a-cup-first-what-would-jesus-do-1437017501.jpg

Why would anyone want to follow a guy who ended up nailed to wood in a diaper? :dunno:

Great are the teachings of our Lord and Savior. I also like the teaching of his greatest commandments:

Matthew 22:34-40
34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If all mankind were to live just those two commandments in that order, the world would be a heaven on earth.

Why would anyone want to follow a guy who ended up nailed to wood in a diaper? :dunno:

I believe you would have liked the man. Jesus taught, "Your sins ARE forgiven." People were used to hearing their sins would be forgiven when the offered the appropriate sacrifice. Many Jews of the time were dirt poor. With so little food on hand they had to decide whether to feed their children or live with their sins.

If sins ARE forgiven, why the need for the Temple or (more to the point) the Temple tax? Also Jesus introduced the picture of instead of God being some strict, ruthless ruler He was a loving Father. A Father who was like a farmer who went out and sowed seed all over the place. (What kind of idiot farmer would do such a thing?) A Father who when, a son goes out and wastes the inheritance his father gave him, throws him a party when the son comes to his senses and returns home.

Some people in power and those who relied on the Temple tax and sacrifices for their living felt they had cause for alarm. If people stopped offering sacrifices at the Temple for their sins, what would happen to them? They warned Jesus to knock it off. Jesus response was that he was obedient to what God wanted--not to them. So they had him crucified.

Jesus rising from the dead, told his followers, "Keep preaching the good news (sins are forgiven)."

In yesteryear, Jesus got nailed to a piece of wood. Today his followers get nailed in Internet forums. Yet no one can get us to shut up. ;)

So who made god?

Ah, heck. I teach middle school science, and people are always after me to teach something that requires a doctorate! I'll try presenting a very simplified form (since that is the only form my not very advanced scientific brain operates).

About fourteen billion years ago scientists agree the universe had its beginning. Since nothing can come from nothing, something caused our universe to come into being. The universe coming into being also began the beginning of time because time does not operate outside of cause and effect (as there is nothing to measure).

No one made/caused God because God operates before/outside of time, outside of cause and effect. (When something operates outside cause and effect, it cannot itself be caused.)

Great are the teachings of our Lord and Savior. I also like the teaching of his greatest commandments:

Matthew 22:34-40
34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If all mankind were to live just those two commandments in that order, the world would be a heaven on earth.

Yes. The question people have had from the beginning (and which caused all kinds of laws to grow up around it) is, "But how do we accomplish that?" Matthew 5 provides a great answer - The Beatitudes.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for the will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I believe you would have liked the man. Jesus taught, "Your sins ARE forgiven." People were used to hearing their sins would be forgiven when the offered the appropriate sacrifice. Many Jews of the time were dirt poor. With so little food on hand they had to decide whether to feed their children or live with their sins.

If sins ARE forgiven, why the need for the Temple or (more to the point) the Temple tax? Also Jesus introduced the picture of instead of God being some strict, ruthless ruler He was a loving Father. A Father who was like a farmer who went out and sowed seed all over the place. (What kind of idiot farmer would do such a thing?) A Father who when, a son goes out and wastes the inheritance his father gave him, throws him a party when the son comes to his senses and returns home.

Some people in power and those who relied on the Temple tax and sacrifices for their living felt they had cause for alarm. If people stopped offering sacrifices at the Temple for their sins, what would happen to them? They warned Jesus to knock it off. Jesus response was that he was obedient to what God wanted--not to them. So they had him crucified.

Jesus rising from the dead, told his followers, "Keep preaching the good news (sins are forgiven)."

In yesteryear, Jesus got nailed to a piece of wood. Today his followers get nailed in Internet forums. Yet no one can get us to shut up. ;)

... and Meriweather crucifies a 13 year old girl for being a Free Spirit, the same as what was done to Jesus.

... and Meriweather crucifies a 13 year old girl for being a Free Spirit, the same as what was done to Jesus.

Yawn. Not being content to be wrong once, you decide to repeat yourself, hmmm.

Someday you will have to stop by my classroom where the LGBT crowd have felt welcome at lunch and where I am welcome at their meetings. They would laugh you to scorn. When I speak of differences in 13-year-old girls I know what I'm talking about. Your reading comprehension is sadly lacking.

Yawn. Not being content to be wrong once, you decide to repeat yourself, hmmm.

Someday you will have to stop by my classroom where the LGBT crowd have felt welcome at lunch and where I am welcome at their meetings. They would laugh you to scorn. When I speak of differences in 13-year-old girls I know what I'm talking about. Your reading comprehension is sadly lacking.
Someday you will have to stop by my classroom where the LGBT crowd ....

I could care less about LGBT ... you have no right to turn off a microphone because you do not like what you are hearing, she has a right in that forum to state her case. as silly as it was.

crucifying is what christians have done best for centuries.

Another of my favorite teachings of Jesus is how much can be accomplished with faith the size of a mustard seed.

Jesus taught us all to love one another.

John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Apparently, Jesus died on that wood for our sins. So according to Christianity, my sin bill has already been paid. Thanks, Geezuss.

Forum List

Back