The Stupidity Of The Gates Arrest

I'm more convinced than ever that he jedi-mind tricked Crowley into the overreaction.
He have to be pretty crafty to do that. And a risk taker too. How could he know how far the cops would take it?

I doubt that a guy who just got off a 20 hour flight from China was up for publicity stunts.

Also, I'm not accepting as gospel truth that he said all the things people are claiming he said. None of it can be heard on the tapes and the rest is according to Crowley's report.

I think the two of them were both just having a bad day. Gates with jet lag and Crowley with a hangover. :lol:

If anyone was being manipulative, I think it was Crowley, brushing off Gates requests for ID and then luring him outside.

I just spent the last 20 minutes searching the interwebs high and low trying to find any reference to the DA stating that this was a lawful arrest. I came up empty.

It appears that somebody is full of shit. :eusa_whistle:

Things disappear off the net all the time. I read an eyewitness report of churches being burned in Kenya that was gone the next day. I read a report right after 9/11 about the box cutters being planted on the planes by the cleaning crew, many of whom were illegals, which was gone two days later. Let's face it, the internet allows us access to a lot that we wouldn't otherwise have access to, but we have to be quick.

Of course, because I still sight these articles without proof, everyone calls me a liar......oh well, most people believe what they want to believe.

I'm more convinced than ever that he jedi-mind tricked Crowley into the overreaction.
He have to be pretty crafty to do that. And a risk taker too. How could he know how far the cops would take it?

I doubt that a guy who just got off a 20 hour flight from China was up for publicity stunts.

Also, I'm not accepting as gospel truth that he said all the things people are claiming he said. None of it can be heard on the tapes and the rest is according to Crowley's report.

I think the two of them were both just having a bad day. Gates with jet lag and Crowley with a hangover. :lol:

If anyone was being manipulative, I think it was Crowley, brushing off Gates requests for ID and then luring him outside.

From what I read, and please correct me if I'm wrong...Gates never asked for his id. He asked for his name and badge number repeatedly, both of which were in plain view on the front of the officer's uniform.

From what I read, and please correct me if I'm wrong...Gates never asked for his id. He asked for his name and badge number repeatedly, both of which were in plain view on the front of the officer's uniform.
Correct if you are wrong? You are wrong. It is not only in the police report, but in Gates comments.

The officer, by MA law, is obliged to show WRITTEN identification.

I just spent the last 20 minutes searching the interwebs high and low trying to find any reference to the DA stating that this was a lawful arrest. I came up empty.

Things disappear off the net all the time. I read an eyewitness report of churches being burned in Kenya that was gone the next day. I read a report right after 9/11 about the box cutters being planted on the planes by the cleaning crew, many of whom were illegals, which was gone two days later. Let's face it, the internet allows us access to a lot that we wouldn't otherwise have access to, but we have to be quick.

Of course, because I still sight these articles without proof, everyone calls me a liar......oh well, most people believe what they want to believe.

Let's also face it that the internet allows pretty much any lie to posted until it is challenged. If something is on there one day and then gone the next, the most likely reason is that it was false to begin with. You have to ask yourself that if the DA really does believe this is a lawful arrest, and it had been reported accordingly on the internet, why would it now be gone?

I can't seem to find any facts as to what occured. My guess is that the police arrived, and he refused to cooperate with them. His cooperation would have stopped any escalation. Any reasonable person would be more than willing to show identification, if they were in the same predicament.

I seriously doubt that race had a hand in this. Wasn't one of the officers African-American?

Cops DO NOT, enjoy arresting people. Especially in a case like this. Any arrest amounts to hours of documentation, and scheduled court dates (on their days off no less). And potential liability.

I'm sure that the officer was frustrated. He obviously didn't know the man. Cops don't like arrogance. If you want your encounter with the police to be as pleasant as it possibly can, treat them with the level of respect that you would want to be treated. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the case in this instance.
This type of response seems to be typical of people not very well informed of the particulars in this case and typical of some who are.

It seems that lots of people are just content to assume that the person wearing the uniform was right. The one with the gun is the boss, no questions asked.

I'm a liberal. It just so happens that I've been around cops all of my life. (father has been in law enforcement since 1976) I have looked and looked for information on this story, and I can't find it.

If you yell at a cop, or act in any threatening manner, odds are great that you are going to be placed in handcuffs. Most of them have either been shot, or shot at. And many of them have wives and young children at home. The most benign-looking person, will be packing heat. Believe it. My father was almost shot once by a grandmother, when she managed to pull his 9 mm from his holster. He was trying to be gentle and not manhandle her. There were criminal charges against her, and the defense attorney totally smeared him in the courtroom, because he had to defend himself physically.

My hunch is that these officers were trying to avoid a similar situation. I realize that this isn't going to go over very well but most police officers aren't paid very well. They work long hours. They go to court on their days off, or after having worked all night. And everyone HATES them. People threatened my father. They threatened to murder us, his family. There is a reason that they are so nervous, and not always patient.

You think something THAT important, on a subject THIS volatile, at THIS time, would just be disappeared off the net??

Holy crap.

I can't seem to find any facts as to what occured. My guess is that the police arrived, and he refused to cooperate with them. His cooperation would have stopped any escalation. Any reasonable person would be more than willing to show identification, if they were in the same predicament.

I seriously doubt that race had a hand in this. Wasn't one of the officers African-American?

Cops DO NOT, enjoy arresting people. Especially in a case like this. Any arrest amounts to hours of documentation, and scheduled court dates (on their days off no less). And potential liability.

I'm sure that the officer was frustrated. He obviously didn't know the man. Cops don't like arrogance. If you want your encounter with the police to be as pleasant as it possibly can, treat them with the level of respect that you would want to be treated. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the case in this instance.
This type of response seems to be typical of people not very well informed of the particulars in this case and typical of some who are.

It seems that lots of people are just content to assume that the person wearing the uniform was right. The one with the gun is the boss, no questions asked.

I'm a liberal. It just so happens that I've been around cops all of my life. (father has been in law enforcement since 1976) I have looked and looked for information on this story, and I can't find it.

If you yell at a cop, or act in any threatening manner, odds are great that you are going to be placed in handcuffs. Most of them have either been shot, or shot at. And many of them have wives and young children at home. The most benign-looking person, will be packing heat. Believe it. My father was almost shot once by a grandmother, when she managed to pull his 9 mm from his holster. He was trying to be gentle and not manhandle her. There were criminal charges against her, and the defense attorney totally smeared him in the courtroom, because he had to defend himself physically.

My hunch is that these officers were trying to avoid a similar situation. I realize that this isn't going to go over very well but most police officers aren't paid very well. They work long hours. They go to court on their days off, or after having worked all night. And everyone HATES them. People threatened my father. They threatened to murder us, his family. There is a reason that they are so nervous, and not always patient.
I agree they have a very stressful job and are often underpaid and sometimes not provided with adequate training. That said, having read the officer's report, nothing indicates he felt he was ever in any kind of physical jeopardy.

Last edited:

in the case of the box cutter story, it was likely an error, since it wasnt illegal to take box cutters or even a buck knife on a plane prior to 9/11
i know, i had my buck knife on my belt when i first got on a commercial airline in 1987

I agree they have a very stressful job and are often underpaid and sometimes not provided with adequate training. That said, having read the officer's report, nothing indicates he felt he was ever in any kind of physical jeopardy.

I'll see if I can find the report.

Let's also face it that the internet allows pretty much any lie to posted until it is challenged. If something is on there one day and then gone the next, the most likely reason is that it was false to begin with. You have to ask yourself that if the DA really does believe this is a lawful arrest, and it had been reported accordingly on the internet, why would it now be gone?

I've spoken with people in Kenya, churches were indeed burned with people inside them. In one case a woman passed her baby out the window and the muslims burning the chruch threw the baby back in.

As for the illegals working for the cleaning crews, I worked for United AFTER 9/11 and yes indeed, prior to 9/11 there were a lot of illegals working on the cleaning crews. Do you really think the hijackers couldn't pay one of them to plant the box cutters on the airplanes?

Unless I know someone to be a liar, I tend to assume what they say is the truth.

I've spoken with people in Kenya, churches were indeed burned with people inside them. In one case a woman passed her baby out the window and the muslims burning the chruch threw the baby back in.

As for the illegals working for the cleaning crews, I worked for United AFTER 9/11 and yes indeed, prior to 9/11 there were a lot of illegals working on the cleaning crews. Do you really think the hijackers couldn't pay one of them to plant the box cutters on the airplanes?

Unless I know someone to be a liar, I tend to assume what they say is the truth.
there would be no NEED to plant them on the plane, since you could LEGALLY carry them on yourself prior to 9/11

I cannot find the DA's statement either, but I saw it on the news.

Here is the statement from the Police Commissioner.

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas said Thursday that Crowley was a decorated officer who followed procedure. The department is putting together an independent panel to review the arrest, but Haas said he did not think the whole story had been told...

"Sgt. Crowley is a stellar member of this department. I rely on his judgment every day," Haas said. "I think he basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him." ---

2nd Mass. officer: Gates arrest was by the book

The DA has stated repeatedly the officer was well within protocol to arrest Gates and that dropping the charges had no bearing whatsoever on the legitimacy of the arrest.

P.S. - The police were accusing him of breaking into the home...which he admitted.

Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas said Thursday that Crowley was a decorated officer who followed procedure. The department is putting together an independent panel to review the arrest, but Haas said he did not think the whole story had been told...

"Sgt. Crowley is a stellar member of this department. I rely on his judgment every day," Haas said. "I think he basically did the best in the situation that was presented to him." ---

So you saw it repeatedly on the news, but it appears nowhere in print?

Sounds like the arrest is still under review.

Last edited:
The DA has stated repeatedly the officer was well within protocol to arrest Gates and that dropping the charges had no bearing whatsoever on the legitimacy of the arrest.

P.S. - The police were accusing him of breaking into the home...which he admitted.

so stop saying it never happened

so stop saying it never happened
I've never said the arrest never happened.

I'd still like to have a link to a source reporting that the DA has stated the arrest was legitimate if anyone ever find one.

I'd still like to have a link to a source reporting that the DA has stated the arrest was legitimate if anyone ever find one.

can't help you.
perhaps you could post the cornucopia of links that i assume are available proving the illegitamacy of the racist gates' arrest.

there must be hundreds at this point.

:rofl:

Forum List

Back