The Sound of a Swamp Draining

This is what happens when you put a career politician with less of a science background than my 15 year old in charge of science based agency.

This is filling the swamp, not emptying it

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Yes, keeping data and sources secret is the foundation to good science.

Yes, very often the data is confidential. I work as a statistician/data analyst. I collect data from individual operations and then provide reports from the aggregate data provided. The data is provided to me on the condition of that no individuals data will be disclosed, just the aggregate of all the reports. Without this stipulation nobody would share their operations information as it could be used by their competitors.

Data being used to create law should be secret?

Stalin would be proud of you.

Fuck, you people are so stupid. Go back to flipping burgers, your break time is over.

No business is going to give information about their operations that can be used by a competitor knowing it will be made public for all to see.

The analysis, the methodology and the process for the conclusions are all made public. The individual data points are not and never have been.

Bullshit. You are either clueless, or a liar. The Scientific Method DEMANDS that all aspects of a scientific study be made available to others so that results can be checked. These are government scientists which means the data they create belongs to US you halfwit.

If that were their true goal then they should have no problem sharing their science with others. That IS the Scientific Method after all. Any scientist who doesn't follow the SM is on a political mission because if their science can't stand up to scrutiny....it isn't science.

Do you understand that very basic concept?
I do understand it, it is called Peer Review.

I'm sure somehow science using full disclosure is a bad thing somehow.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt will soon end his agency's use of "secret science" to craft regulations.

"We need to make sure their data and methodology are published as part of the record," Pruitt said in an exclusive interview with The Daily Caller News Foundation. "Otherwise, it's not transparent. It's not objectively measured, and that's important."

Pruitt will reverse long-standing EPA policy allowing regulators to rely on non-public scientific data in crafting rules. Such studies have been used to justify tens of billions of dollars worth of regulations.

"EPA regulators would only be allowed to consider scientific studies that make their data available for public scrutiny under Pruitt’s new policy. Also, EPA-funded studies would need to make all their data public."

EXCLUSIVE: Scott Pruitt Will End EPA’s Use Of ‘Secret Science’ To Justify Regulations
Scientific American certainly believes it is a bad thing: "This is a move that serves no purpose other than to prevent the EPA from carrying out its mission of protecting public health and the environment."
I'm not a fan of fake data. And if it isn't public, it's fake. K?

This is what happens when you put a career politician with less of a science background than my 15 year old in charge of science based agency.

This is filling the swamp, not emptying it

Yes, very often the data is confidential. I work as a statistician/data analyst. I collect data from individual operations and then provide reports from the aggregate data provided. The data is provided to me on the condition of that no individuals data will be disclosed, just the aggregate of all the reports. Without this stipulation nobody would share their operations information as it could be used by their competitors.

Fuck, you people are so stupid. Go back to flipping burgers, your break time is over.

No business is going to give information about their operations that can be used by a competitor knowing it will be made public for all to see.

The analysis, the methodology and the process for the conclusions are all made public. The individual data points are not and never have been.

Bullshit. You are either clueless, or a liar. The Scientific Method DEMANDS that all aspects of a scientific study be made available to others so that results can be checked. These are government scientists which means the data they create belongs to US you halfwit.

You are full of shit.

As an example...

Right now the USDA is conducting the Census of Agricultural, the findings from this are used by a dozen agencies (to include the EPA) to set policies and laws and will be the basis for the next Farm Bill.

Roughly 2,000,000 operations will respond and provide their data. That data is confidential and nobody outside of those working on the Census will ever see the raw data from each response.

Under the new, stupid EPA rules this data could not be used.

Funny thing is that these stupid global warming scientists admitted themselves that they were using fake data. How dumb was that?
Fake or interpolated?

Are computer models data?
Modeling is valid science, for example, we'd never have developed nuclear weapons without them. The real question is are these models valid and I'm not competent to judge that (are you?), so I trust science to learn, test, and refine them.

Funny thing is that these stupid global warming scientists admitted themselves that they were using fake data. How dumb was that?
Fake or interpolated?

Go read the Climategate emails. Admitted fake. Also, after Obama corrupted NASA and NOAA those government agencies put out data they knew was fake.
Union of Concerned Scientists
The email content being quoted does not indicate that climate data and research have been compromised. Most importantly, nothing in the content of these stolen emails has any impact on our overall understanding that human activities are driving dangerous levels of global warming. Media reports and contrarian claims that they do are inaccurate. Six official investigations have cleared scientists of accusations of wrongdoing.​

You are full of shit.

As an example...

Right now the USDA is conducting the Census of Agricultural, the findings from this are used by a dozen agencies (to include the EPA) to set policies and laws and will be the basis for the next Farm Bill.

Roughly 2,000,000 operations will respond and provide their data. That data is confidential and nobody outside of those working on the Census will ever see the raw data from each response.

That is a survey, moron, not a scientific study. Before you make a fool of yourself, yet again, learn a little bit about what you are speaking about.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt will soon end his agency's use of "secret science" to craft regulations.

"We need to make sure their data and methodology are published as part of the record," Pruitt said in an exclusive interview with The Daily Caller News Foundation. "Otherwise, it's not transparent. It's not objectively measured, and that's important."

Pruitt will reverse long-standing EPA policy allowing regulators to rely on non-public scientific data in crafting rules. Such studies have been used to justify tens of billions of dollars worth of regulations.

"EPA regulators would only be allowed to consider scientific studies that make their data available for public scrutiny under Pruitt’s new policy. Also, EPA-funded studies would need to make all their data public."

EXCLUSIVE: Scott Pruitt Will End EPA’s Use Of ‘Secret Science’ To Justify Regulations
How is this draining the swamp? Also this bill was put up in he past... Why didn’t it pass the senate when they had a Republican majority? Maybe there’s more to the story than the dailycaller presents?
House passes bill to ban EPA 'secret science'
Thanks, I read that one too after I saw the OP was sourcing the bias daily caller. Sad that now a days we gotta Read multiple accounts of the same report to get a sense of what the facts are.

Fake or interpolated?

Modeling is valid science, for example, we'd never have developed nuclear weapons without them. The real question is are these models valid and I'm not competent to judge that (are you?), so I trust science to learn, test, and refine them.

Modelling is NOT data. Or do you not understand that simple fact? Data is OBSERVED, models are created, thus they contain whatever biases are programmed into them. Thus they are NOT valid. And yes, with a PhD in geology I am very competent to judge them, and have even used them in my own work. However, when we use them they are very specific, and extremely focused.

Take a look at every single climatology study and you will see this term used in the Abstract "We use a simple model".....So they are admitting to using simplistic computer models to try and recreate the most complex engine on the planet, namely the climate.

Put another way, climatologists have yet to be able to come up with a model that can recreate what happened yesterday. A model that can't do a hindcast is worthless. That too is a fact.

Fake or interpolated?

Go read the Climategate emails. Admitted fake. Also, after Obama corrupted NASA and NOAA those government agencies put out data they knew was fake.
Union of Concerned Scientists
The email content being quoted does not indicate that climate data and research have been compromised. Most importantly, nothing in the content of these stolen emails has any impact on our overall understanding that human activities are driving dangerous levels of global warming. Media reports and contrarian claims that they do are inaccurate. Six official investigations have cleared scientists of accusations of wrongdoing.​

Yeah, amazing how the progressives have no problem with the fox investigating themself for raiding the hen house. Makes total sense. This is known as the Appeal to Authority logic fail. You had best try again.

You are full of shit.

As an example...

Data used to alter the economy should never be secret, comrade.

But you cockroaches hate the light, that is obvious.

How is this draining the swamp? Also this bill was put up in he past... Why didn’t it pass the senate when they had a Republican majority? Maybe there’s more to the story than the dailycaller presents?
House passes bill to ban EPA 'secret science'
Thanks, I read that one too after I saw the OP was sourcing the bias daily caller. Sad that now a days we gotta Read multiple accounts of the same report to get a sense of what the facts are.
yeah, I have sort of mixed feelings on the science thing. On one hand, there are people funding solely by industries that want to pollute more and cheaper, so the EPA is a target. But on the other hand, it does seem like the EPA attracts employees who are elitist tree hugger types.

All I see is Pruitt allowing big business to make more money by continuing polluting our water & air.
instead of having to spend money to clean up the messes they make.

Fake or interpolated?

The best computer models in the world as of 5PM last night said 100% chance of heavy rain last night into today.

Yet to see a drop as of 10AM.

So if models are wrong just hours into the future, only a moron wants to use manmade models for altering the economy because of what predict years from now.

You are full of shit.

As an example...

That is a survey, moron, not a scientific study. Before you make a fool of yourself, yet again, learn a little bit about what you are speaking about.

If you had even half of a brain you would know that the statistical results have the rigors and requirements of any other scientific study.

I take it you have never heard the term “data scientist”.

All I see is Pruitt allowing big business to make more money by continuing polluting our water & air.
instead of having to spend money to clean up the messes they make.
You should flee to Mexico while you still can.
722922AE-DFA8-44EC-AA1E-9B08B7142B1D.jpeg

You are full of shit.

As an example...

Data used to alter the economy should never be secret, comrade.

But you cockroaches hate the light, that is obvious.

It's not "hidden data" in that everyone has access to the same scientific information. Scientific studies are studied and tested for being verifiable by performing the same tests. The EPA's policy was that it would not identify exactly what information it relied upon because those unhappy with the decision would then attack the basic information for political rather than scientific reasons.

but as usual, you have a partisan agenda that all facts must align with or be ignored.

You are full of shit.

As an example...

If you had even half of a brain you would know that the statistical results have the rigors and requirements of any other scientific study.

I take it you have never heard the term “data scientist”.

That’s why your science requires secrecy.

It’s bullshit.

Forum List

Back