The "social contract" that doesn't exist

In the past, Republicans thought that the market ought to set wages, and that a combination of government devices—including the earned-income tax credit, housing subsidies, food stamps, Medicaid, and other social-welfare programs—could fill in the gaps to make that social contract work, while also trying to remove disincentives from work via welfare reform.

The Moral and Economic Case for Raising the Minimum Wage

Three points to make here:

• How is it possible that the left is incapable of comprehending that if the minimum wage for flipping a burger goes up 20%, the cost of the burger goes up 20%, which means the cost of shipping that burger to each store goes up 20%, which means the cost of electricity goes up 20%, which means the minimum wage worker is no further ahead than they were before the minimum wage went up 20%? I'm literally astounded by the left's ignorant belief that every action occurs in a vacuum. This is basic stuff that even small children understand.

• The solution to the problem is pretty damn simple. Stop subsidizing the failure of the individual. If they can't put food on their table, there are 6 mechanisms of safety nets to ensure food gets there that do not include government. If 6 safety nets are not enough, well, then you were destined to go hungry. Just accept it and move on (and we all know that will NEVER happen with 6 safety nets, but that won't stop the liberals on USMB from making outrageous scenario's where those safety nets aren't enough).

• Once again we see the left literally make stuff up out of thin air. What "social contract"?!? I've never seen one. And I sure as hell never signed one.

The Right has lost on virtually every social issue they care about .. and if you can't figure out why by now, then perhaps it's just over your head and beyond your capacity to discern.
If you can't figure out that "social issues" violate the U.S. Constitution by now (after we've explained it to you dozens of times), then clearly it is just over your head and beyond your capacity to discern. But don't worry - we've got this. Like all liberals, you just sit back and let the adults run the country. Ok?
If you're too dumb to recognize that the Constitution is not written in stone, nor meant to define society for all time .. then you're just too dumb to understand who and what the Founders were.

I repeat, Jefferson thought the Constitution should be re-written every 19 years.

I repeat, republicans have lost on just about every social issue they care about.

Whine about it all you like.

That's sad. So you think the constitution should be just whatever whoever, wants it to be in the moment. Or rewritten every few years.

You do realize that every single victory you would claim, could be 'rewritten' out of existence in a moment by your own standard? We could re-institute slavery in the US, according to your standard. Because according to you, none of your freedoms are written in stone.... by your own statement. We could just 'reinterpret' the constitution to mean what we want. We could just rewrite it, to say you are now slaves, and according to you, that's the way it should be.

It's scary when people are so willing to give away everything they have, in the name of their ideology.

It's your logic that was used in the Soviet Union, to round up millions of people, drag them to work projects and leave them to die. After they were as open minded as you. Their constitution wasn't 'written in stone' either, and millions of people murdered at the hands of Soviet government proved it.

You hate the people who are trying to protect your real freedoms, and voting for the people who are trying to take them away. It's sad situation in America. But it does explain why the minorities in the US are always so miserable and angry.

Forum List

Back