The Singing Competitions - Do you watch?

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
American Idol, the Voice, the Singoff, and others have become wildly popular on American television for some time now.

This is the place to air your appreciation, hopes, gripes, complaints, and observations about the singing competions.

Currently American Idol is in the early live shows and this season of The Voice is in the audition process.

I love the audition process on The Voice. Love the judges. Love the format. Once the teams are set, not so much as I dislike the duals and for me, the music is then so over orchestrated that it is sometimes hard to really hear the singer. But that's just me.

American Idol has suffered from an inability to put together a cohesive team of judges since Simon, Randy, and Paula broke up. Last year really sucked--really bad vibes on the judge team. This year with Harry, Keith, and JLo it is much better, but for me, the talent itself is not up to AI standards.

What do ya'll think? Are there other singing competition fans out there?

I don't know that the singoff is... but I have a thing for The Voice. Used to like American Idol for a whle.

I just love the judge teams on the voice, whether it is Adam, Ceelo, Christina, and Blake or as it is this year, Adam, Usher, Shakira, and Blake. And the talent has been superb lately.

AI just hasn't had the same chemistry since Simon, Paula, and Randy broke up though Steven Tyler, JLo, and Randy Jackson were pretty good. And this year they aren't even pretending that voting is based on merit and not on popularity.

The Singoff is fairly new--airs in the weeks before Christmas--and features acapella groups. Not my favorite but we have watched some.

Currently American Idol is in the early live shows and this season of The Voice is in the audition process.

I love the audition process on The Voice. Love the judges. Love the format. Once the teams are set, not so much as I dislike the duals and for me, the music is then so over orchestrated that it is sometimes hard to really hear the singer. But that's just me.

American Idol has suffered from an inability to put together a cohesive team of judges since Simon, Randy, and Paula broke up. Last year really sucked--really bad vibes on the judge team. This year with Harry, Keith, and JLo it is much better, but for me, the talent itself is not up to AI standards.

I didn't watch AI last year because I lost interest. I love the judges on the voice. Also, the abusing the not talented kids started to get really mean. I love the judges on the voice.

my husband and son like America's Got Talent.

I love the sing-off competitions! Singing acapella can be so difficult and most of the groups are really amazing.

I have watched AI in the past but with the changes in the judging panel, can't get into it anymore. If I watch anything, it's just the early auditions to see the people who think they can sing but really can't.

Just like I only have time for one social thread, I only have time for one singing competition.:D I've been loyal to AI, but if they hadn't gotten Harry this year, I was seriously contemplating getting ready to bail...I really like the chemistry and feedback that Keith, Jen, and Harry provide to those talented young people. Randy taking Jimmy's spot is different...not sure how I feel about it yet.

I didn't watch AI last year because I lost interest. I love the judges on the voice. Also, the abusing the not talented kids started to get really mean. I love the judges on the voice.

my husband and son like America's Got Talent.

Since the original judging team broke up, the ridicule of the no-talents has been minimal on AI, and especially this year was non existent.

But yes, I really like The Voice judges.

Just like I only have time for one social thread, I only have time for one singing competition.:D I've been loyal to AI, but if they hadn't gotten Harry this year, I was seriously contemplating getting ready to bail...I really like the chemistry and feedback that Keith, Jen, and Harry provide to those talented young people. Randy taking Jimmy's spot is different...not sure how I feel about it yet.

I honestly thought Jimmy missed the mark so much, I didn't regret seeing him go. We'll see if Randy does better.

But I do like the chemistry between Harry, Keith and JLo. If we had had a repeat of the judge fiasco of last year, I would have abandoned the show entirely. That was absolutely awful.

I love the sing-off competitions! Singing acapella can be so difficult and most of the groups are really amazing.

I have watched AI in the past but with the changes in the judging panel, can't get into it anymore. If I watch anything, it's just the early auditions to see the people who think they can sing but really can't.

I have enjoyed the Singoff programs I have watched. I just get weary of the long winded, repetitious judge comments that I think are less than helpful and add nothing to the program.

That was my problem with Steven Tyler as a judge on AI. He had no constructive criticism to offer. He was just there for his face recognition and personality.

I honestly thought Jimmy missed the mark so much, I didn't regret seeing him go. We'll see if Randy does better.

But I do like the chemistry between Harry, Keith and JLo. If we had had a repeat of the judge fiasco of last year, I would have abandoned the show entirely. That was absolutely awful.

I almost felt like they brought Jimmy on board to provide some more harsh critiquing, maybe even to make up for Simon's departure...but there is only one Simon. Randy seems sort of ineffectual, but we're only observing a limited amount of his involvement. I wonder if they knew when saying good-bye to him last season that he'd have this role...I don't remember them saying anything, but they may have mentioned something that I missed.

I almost felt like they brought Jimmy on board to provide some more harsh critiquing, maybe even to make up for Simon's departure...but there is only one Simon. Randy seems sort of ineffectual, but we're only observing a limited amount of his involvement. I wonder if they knew when saying good-bye to him last season that he'd have this role...I don't remember them saying anything, but they may have mentioned something that I missed.

No, I don't think you missed anything. I too thought he was probably gone for at least the season if not for good. So far I haven't seen anything of interest that he has added to the show. Maybe its just to give him some face time and an income during his transition?

What do you think guys? Include AGT here? Or make it its own thread since it is so different?

I didn't include XFactor here because I had read that it wasn't being renewed. But if that was in error it certainly would belong in this thread.

I have enjoyed the Singoff programs I have watched. I just get weary of the long winded, repetitious judge comments that I think are less than helpful and add nothing to the program.

That was my problem with Steven Tyler as a judge on AI. He had no constructive criticism to offer. He was just there for his face recognition and personality.

True, sometimes Ben gets long winded. I think I watch how the judges say something more than what they actually say. Going by that I can usually figure out which groups are safe and which groups may be headed to the sing-off.

No, don't ever watch them. I have little to no respect for singers. It requires no talent at all. You are either born with the ability to sing or you are not. It isn't like someone who plays an instrument, you aren't born with the ability to play an instrument, it takes work. That is deserving of respect and admiration. Not simply singing.

No, don't ever watch them. I have little to no respect for singers. It requires no talent at all. You are either born with the ability to sing or you are not. It isn't like someone who plays an instrument, you aren't born with the ability to play an instrument, it takes work. That is deserving of respect and admiration. Not simply singing.

You feel how you feel, but I do appreciate a God-given voice and the people who are inspired to share that voice with the rest of us who are not so blessed. I have an adequate singing voice--have been in choirs and ensembles and have directed them and have even done a bit of solo work--but I have no illusions that I have the gift that was given to a Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand or Carrie Underwood etc. etc. etc.

Likewise I play a number of musical instruments, but I was not given that God-given something that inspires exceptional music from those instruments. As Salieri complained in "Amadeus", God gave him the desire but not the gift that Mozart possessed. One of my children is an extremely competent musician--trumpet, banjo, blues bass etc. etc. etc. but this person has to really work at it to be proficient. The other got the gift--that indefinable instinct or ability to be a musician that transcends mere proficiency.

It is that gift I look for in the singing competitions. And every now and then you just know somebody has it.

I watch American Idol. Chicago girl Jennifer Hudson went on to win an Oscar.

There is a rock and roll guy this year that is sensational.

And the guy who sang "Lord Knows I'm a Lucky Man" was brilliant even though the judges tore him apart.

And the people I thought were awful, they seem to love.

Forum List

Back