The Second Term and Dynasty

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Wow, NYT article just full of info, two tidbits:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/17/p...gin&adxnnlx=1105973230-sdX45VRJaRkXXXNLAGFTSw

backtracking:
The White House sought on Sunday to reassure conservatives that President Bush would work hard on behalf of a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, backtracking from remarks Mr. Bush made in an interview suggesting that he would not press the Senate to vote on the amendment this year.

I don't think so:
"And this clearly is George Bush's Vietnam, Iraq is," Mr. Kennedy added.

Re: the vietnam comparison.. only time will tell. And anyone professing to know whether or not Iraq will be as polemic and disasterous as Vietnam is either a ranting liberal peacnick or a hardline conservative sheep.

Who knows what the election will bring. Who knows how situations in Syria and Iran will affect Iraq. Who knows? Nobody knows.

Not even the ever-ebullient Kathianne.

Even the North Vietnamese have since said they would have lost if not for the American media demoralizing the populace.

theim said:
Even the North Vietnamese have since said they would have lost if not for the American media demoralizing the populace.

I'd give military strategery and failed policies a liiiiittle more credit for losing the Vietnam war than a lack of upbeat media coverage..

nakedemperor said:
I'd give military strategery and failed policies a liiiiittle more credit for losing the Vietnam war than a lack of upbeat media coverage..

Failed military strategies and failed policies which were based on media coverage. So either way, the media played a major role in our giving up in Vietnam.

freeandfun1 said:
Failed military strategies and failed policies which were based on media coverage. So either way, the media played a major role in our giving up in Vietnam.

Wait wait, how are the policies enacted by the government "based on" media coverage? Same re: military strategies?

After you riddle me that... Our military failure there wasn't a failure only in the eyes of the media, it was a tactical failure and a tragedy for all sides involved. Our presence their as geopolitical positioning, from the political spectrum, was also a failed policy, and a flawed one that never should have happened at all. The domino theory was, at its root, not correct. History has shown that the American involvement in Vietnam was a failure, militarily and politically. Hell, if McNamara can come around (without whining about how it was the media's fault, not the American government's) I think we should all be able to.

nakedemperor said:

We lost the Vietnam war because the Johnson administration tried to micromanage the war from the oval office much the same as Bush is doing in Iraq. The war protesters in the 60's had little if any real effect on actual war. They recieve much too much credit for that and seem to be trying to rewrite history to that effect. They were basically a bunch of idiots stoned on LSD and hashish, underachievers if you will.

OCA said:
We lost the Vietnam war because the Johnson administration tried to micromanage the war from the oval office much the same as Bush is doing in Iraq. The war protesters in the 60's had little if any real effect on actual war. They recieve much too much credit for that and seem to be trying to rewrite history to that effect. They were basically a bunch of idiots stoned on LSD and hashish, underachievers if you will.

I would agree with this assessment.

Forum List

Back