The Second Amendment's right to self defense

Stockpilling guns against the government or an invasion is about as rational as stockpiling them for the Zombie Apocalypse....

I hear you

I don't know where people get these ideas

:eusa_whistle:

1938, Nazi's passed Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons. This effectively deprived all Jews of the right to possess firearms or other weapons
No doubt, it was to make them more safe
-----------------------------------------

It seems your theory the Left does not care about gun control
anymore
has not quite taken root on this board

Last edited:
I seriously doubt a government takeover would ever occur in our country. But sometimes these 9/11 truthers, and some of the occupy attendees make me wonder what would happen if they were voted into office.......

Still, I'm of the opinion the founders wrote the 2nd for a certain reason. That reason is self defense and a last case resort against tyranny. History does repeat itself sometimes.

I agree with that. But do you disagree that having armed citizens could be a deterrent for any country thinking of invasion? Or do you feel the US is completely protected from that type of attack now and will always be so?

In 1800, armed citizens may have made a difference. Armed citizens are of little help in repelling an invading army. Southerners were armed in the civil war, they did nothing to stop the invading Yankees

As it is, the US is isolated by two oceans and is not vulnerable to an invasion.

The southern states did "nothing" Do you know how many casualties the Union Army suffered? They did alot more than nothing.

We disagree here, no country is or will ever be impenetrable.

We are talking about armed civilians and their effectiveness in fighting off an invading force

It is a Red Dawn/NRA fantasy that armed civilians are a last line of defense that an invading force is afraid of. The second amendment envisioned armed civilians necessary to form the nations defense. It never worked
In the War of 1812 we had second amendment armed civilians who did nothing to prevent the regular British Army from marching in and burning our capital
In the Civil War, the South had an armed civilian population that did nothing to prevent the Yankees from marching in, taking their food and destroying their crops
These are civilians who had muskets and rifles that were similar to what the invading armies had. Fighting a modern Army would be futile

Stockpilling guns against the government or an invasion is about as rational as stockpiling them for the Zombie Apocalypse....

I hear you

1938, Nazi's passed Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons. This effectively deprived all Jews of the right to possess firearms or other weapons

anymore

The same people who cite Hitler on one topic often deny his death toll was greater than communist leaders. STRANGE.

In 1800, armed citizens may have made a difference. Armed citizens are of little help in repelling an invading army. Southerners were armed in the civil war, they did nothing to stop the invading Yankees

As it is, the US is isolated by two oceans and is not vulnerable to an invasion.

The southern states did "nothing" Do you know how many casualties the Union Army suffered? They did alot more than nothing.

We disagree here, no country is or will ever be impenetrable.

We are talking about armed civilians and their effectiveness in fighting off an invading force

It is a Red Dawn/NRA fantasy that armed civilians are a last line of defense that an invading force is afraid of. The second amendment envisioned armed civilians necessary to form the nations defense. It never worked
In the War of 1812 we had second amendment armed civilians who did nothing to prevent the regular British Army from marching in and burning our capital
In the Civil War, the South had an armed civilian population that did nothing to prevent the Yankees from marching in, taking their food and destroying their crops
These are civilians who had muskets and rifles that were similar to what the invading armies had. Fighting a modern Army would be futile

It is the only part of the Bill of rights well known to many Americans it appears. :lol:

I hear you

anymore

The same people who cite Hitler on one topic often deny his death toll was greater than communist leaders. STRANGE.

Where is Hitler mentioned?
But when it comes to the left
Historically, the Left hold the title for "champs"
of causing the most human deaths and suffering

Last edited:
I support the right to own a gun. Some of the justifications...

1. You like to hunt or shoot stuff: Cool with me
2. You feel a need to protect yourself or your family: If you need a gun, fine
3. You need to defend your country against a possible invasion: You are delusional
4. You need to be prepared to fight against the US Government: You are a fucking asshole

3. You need to defend your country against a possible invasion: You are delusional
4. You need to be prepared to fight against the US Government: You are a fucking asshole

While I would agree it is highly unlikely number 4, given
the Republic's history of individual rights and checks/balances

Do you feel it could never happen where our gov't could become abusive and
a danger to people ?

Last edited:

While I would agree it is highly unlikely number 4
a danger to people ?

The United States is the greatest country in the history of mankind. We have existed for over 200 years and it has never been necessary for citizens to take arms against their country. Our Constitution exists so that number 4 will never be necessary

The first amendment is more powerful than the second amendment and makes number 4 moot

Do you feel it could never happen ?

He denies the basic rights of every human...and the tenants of the Founders...Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness (property), and our inalienable right to protect it.

He denies the basic rights of every human...and the tenants of the Founders...Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness (property), and our inalienable right to protect it.

Where does the Constitution authorize you to take up arms against your country?

The first amendment is more powerful than the second amendment and makes number 4 moot

Justice Joseph Story, who wrote in his 1833 “Commentaries on the Constitution,” “

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them.”

Where does the Constitution authorize the fascists to take over the government and enslave us ?

a danger to people ?

The United States is the greatest country in the history of mankind. We have existed for over 200 years and it has never been necessary for citizens to take arms against their country. Our Constitution exists so that number 4 will never be necessary

While I would agree that number 4 is highly unlikely
and the US is the greatest country on earth

Never say never? History is filled more with countries
not like the US which makes it even more unique.

While the 1st amendment does cover a wider range of issues,
there is a 'inter-dependency' between the two that make both
stronger.

Last edited:

Where does the Constitution authorize the fascists to take over the government and enslave us ?

When have fascists ever taken over the country? We have a Constitution, courts, elections and checks and balances as well as a free press to keep that from happening

a danger to people ?

stronger.

For over 200 years, free speech and a free press has kept our government in check and reported on excesses of government

It is the pen rather than the sword that protects our freedom

When have fascists ever taken over the country? We have a Constitution, courts, elections and checks and balances as well as a free press to keep that from happening

Japanese and German interment camps
probably came close

Last edited:

stronger.

For over 200 years, free speech and a free press has kept our government in check and reported on excesses of government

It is the pen rather than the sword that protects our freedom

No doubt
but for some time, the Press has been falling down on the job

Looking back at many of the Founder's statements,
they felt and reasonably so, that an armed populace tended to be
democratic.

At the time of WWII the US government would have repelled an invasion of foreign forces. Today they are welcomed in the name of diversity. Which is why we have an invasion of mexicans and muslims, both intent on picking the bones of whatever they can find left of the nation.

Forum List

Back