The right to a job.

"Right to Work" is a BS term. It has nothing to do with the "right to have a job". But you know what? As long as we need money just to survive on this planet, and that is the prevailing way to get the basics for staying alive, jobs will be necessary for all... so in a way, you could say that yes, everyone has the right to a way to get the resources necessary for basic survival. Depends on how you look at it.

So I would have a right to work in a union state?
No, I have to join the damn union where they take my dues and give them to ONE PARTY only in campaign contributions.

Glad I don't have to work in a RTW state anymore. Those laws are nothing but bad news for labor... that they can fire you for no reason at all (like my mom who after 15 years of service became "too expensive"). Then, because they terminated her in that way instead of laying her off, they also were nice enough to deny her unemployment. Fucking assholes. I hate Tennessee.

"Right to Work" is a BS term. It has nothing to do with the "right to have a job". But you know what? As long as we need money just to survive on this planet, and that is the prevailing way to get the basics for staying alive, jobs will be necessary for all... so in a way, you could say that yes, everyone has the right to a way to get the resources necessary for basic survival. Depends on how you look at it.

No, I have to join the damn union where they take my dues and give them to ONE PARTY only in campaign contributions.

There are plenty of non-union jobs in "union states".

If you don't want to join a union, find another job.

I thought that was supposed to be a Conservative motto.

Insert shop in between union and state and get back to me.
Good to know that you support job discrimination. You deny someone a job because they will not join the mob.

Good to know that you support job discrimination. You deny someone a job because they will not join the mob.

I live in a union shop state. There are still more non-union jobs than union jobs.

Union membership is declining and has been for decades... it will go he way of alchemy and icewagons... as it should.

I live in a union shop state. There are still more non-union jobs than union jobs.

Name one potential worker seeking a job that is hired by a company in your state if they refuse to join the union.
Why the dance?

Name one potential worker seeking a job that is hired by a company in your state if they refuse to join the union.
Why the dance?

Anyone seeking a job at a non-union company.

Are you under the impression that all jobs in union shop states are union jobs?

Unions are dead, a non issue anymore, thankgod. Maybe a RTW states like Michigan can pull in oversea's auto jobs/investments and stop the bleeding.

Why the dance?

More dancing.
Name one worker in your state that applies at a union shop that is hired if they refuse to join the mob.
Discrimination. You support it, I fight it.

Why the dance?

More dancing.
Name one worker in your state that applies at a union shop that is hired if they refuse to join the mob.
Discrimination. You support it, I fight it.

So, if I applied for a job at McDonald's, and demanded $100,000 a year, would it be discrimination if they didn't hire me?

I live in a state that is full of unions. I have worked in union shops most of my working career. You don't have to join the union to work in a union shop. You do have to pay a percentage of the union fees to cover your benifits but you don't have to join. There are a lot of businesses that are non-union in the state and even in the major union hubs. One of my employers needed to have a union in place to protect employees from his abuse and negligence. The other places - not so much but with a union job the benifits are much better than outside the union. Non-union shops pay less in wages, benifits are substantially lower, and retirement is non-existent. The reason our cost of living is so high is that The state decided it could mandate a higher minimum wage to help those people make a living wage. so now we pay $5 for a burger at Jack in the box because the fast food place has to pay them $10 hr. So all the prices went up with the minimum wage increase - all those businesses that were paying minimum wage still are but they had to raise their prices to cover the costs.

"Right to Work" laws are implemented to take whatever leverage labor has in the workplace away so that businesses can continue the race to the bottom. Low wages, long hours, high production and no benefits are the goal.

Exactly. Like most R propaganda, they call it the opposite of what it really is.

BUT, as to the op, no one has a right to a job but of course, everyone has the right to work.

There's a difference.

I notice the usual suspects are sucking up to the ultra wealthy who, we have been told, will create jobs. We all know that if that were true, we wouldn't have high unemployment.

Is a healthy economy or an employed populace considered good for the general welfare of the nation?

Or, another example:

I don't know anything about plumbing. Would it be "discrimination" if a company refused to hire me as a plumber?

Of course, they discriminate against people that don't know what the fuck they are doing.

So, there's nothing wrong with "discriminating" against prospective employees, unless it's a union shop?

In the "Good Ole' Boys Club" they consistently protect employees that don't know what the eff they are doing, over say, other more qualified "others."

Forum List

Back