The Rich Get Richer

Also - the "small guys" employ way-way-way more people per product item than large businesses. It isn't even close.
Take beer.
Craft breweries only provide about 7-8% of the marketshare in America. YET - they employ 70% of all people that are in the beer business.
Think about that.
As every small brewery in the 50's-60's were swallowed by the then big three...and the brewhouses got bigger and bigger they needed less and less employees. So now these massive breweries that produce over 90% of the the market - employ less than a third of total employees in the industry.
Take this...and apply it to many, many industries.
And this explains why the wealth gap gets larger and larger.

Of course it helps explain why it exists ... But there is nothing wrong with its existence.

We are not obligated to favor micro/craft breweries over industrial breweries.
People are free to buy whatever product they want and can afford ... The consumer makes that choice ... Not the government.

uh...what does this have to do with rich getting richer?

Sorry..you obviously know absolutely nothing about running a business.
Go ahead and talk to any 100 businesses in your area you choose - and tell them they should be charging whatever price they want. You'll be laughed out of their offices.
Now that's funny.
At the same time technology has made the "quality gap" get smaller and smaller. Computerization and mechanical automation in most industries has removed the "craft" out of many products. Example, printing. The quality of the product you received almost totally depended on the skill of the press operators and pre-press techs.
Today presses are so automated, and prepress operations are just about completely done by computer workflow software. So the quality of what you get is virtually the same no matter where you go. This is also true in most industries.
Not to mention everybody out there is trying to pay as little as they can.

Why would I want to help 100 of my competitors better their business model by asking them why they don't do what I do ... :dunno:
Why would I attempt to do the same thing 100 of my competitors do and fight them for the same margin when I can overshoot their processes and products and charge more?

You are absolutely incorrect about an even somewhat level playing field in quality.
I know, I started in Quality as a third party (trademarking) compliance auditor ... In different facilities across 13 separate corporations.
For the most part they used the same equipment and even the same raw materials ... And were nowhere near each other in sustainable quality.

The Hilton is not the Motel 6 and Rolls Royce is not Hyundai ... Never will be ... :thup:

Running a better business can make you more wealthy.
Having the capital to develop a better product/service can improve your market share or provide a higher market bracket.

It is perfectly okay with me when the competition wants to fight over the bottom of the barrel in market returns ... :thup:
I am not willing to sacrifice my product/service quality ... Or the investment required to provide it ... In order to fight with the little guy over his crappy product and market share.

Last edited:

Running a better business can make you more wealthy.
Having the capital to develop a better product/service can improve your market share or provide a higher market bracket.

It is perfectly okay with me when the competition wants to fight over the bottom of the barrel in market returns ... :thup:
I am not willing to sacrifice my product/service quality ... Or the investment required to provide it ... In order to fight with the little guy over his crappy product and market share.

Your bouncing all over the place.
The thread is about the ever growing gap between the wealthy and the not wealthy.
And you talking about hotel chains and somehow that has one iota to do with industry automation and workflow control systems or anything to so with the beer industry.
I used the beer industry as a real world example of how, in that industry, which BTW is multi-$billion a year business...and how corporatism has severely concentrated the wealth and at the same time dramatically lowered the number of employees in that industry. 100% to the topic of the thread.
You are posting all over the place about things that have little to nothing to do with what people are saying.

Your bouncing all over the place.
The thread is about the ever growing gap between the wealthy and the not wealthy.
And you talking about hotel chains and somehow that has one iota to do with industry automation and workflow control systems or anything to so with the beer industry.
I used the beer industry as a real world example of how, in that industry, which BTW is multi-$billion a year business...and how corporatism has severely concentrated the wealth and at the same time dramatically lowered the number of employees in that industry. 100% to the topic of the thread.
You are posting all over the place about things that have little to nothing to do with what people are saying.

I don't care where you decide to bounce the ball ... Or how you decide things should be.
You can carry the conversation anywhere you want and include or exclude anything you think is helpful or not.
You can give complicated examples ... Over simplified examples ... Or express your ideas any way you see fit.

I am certainly not going to complain or ridicule your empty responses.

In short ... The rich get richer because they can through simple and uncontrived ways ... And shouldn't be banned from doing so.
If you want to suggest there is some imaginary control that will somehow make it so they cannot ... Or that any measure to limit their ability to legally obtain wealth should be enacted to favor those who don't have the same resources or won't engage the same sacrifices or risk ...

... Go pound sand for all I care ... :thup:

I was speaking more to the rich get richer in the sense of big (protected) business

Individually, absolutely, we can all play...or most anyway

'Protected' from what ... The market applies to business or the rich the same as anyone else?
My point is that you are applying a narrative that simply isn't supported by what you have been led to believe.

Of course the rich get richer ... Why wouldn't they ... Why shouldn't they ... :dunno:

Edit:
I should note that businesses technically don't pay taxes.
I mean they write a check and send it to the Internal Revenue Service but that isn't the whole story.

A business sells a product or service and the customer pays them.
Taxes are levies on the business in accordance to what the customer pays them.

In any case the customer is who pays the taxes on the money earned by the business ... As it is part of the price the product or service costs.

Because over time it impairs the ability for the small guys to grow. Lots of rules, regs, licences, etc. Not like you can just go out on the street and market your wares. Not impossible, just much more difficult

If you have a properly platformed/planned, and financed company, why would rules and regulations impair ones ability to grow?

The fact is you are describing somebody that enters a business that has no idea what they are doing.

Sorry..you obviously know absolutely nothing about running a business.
Go ahead and talk to any 100 businesses in your area you choose - and tell them they should be charging whatever price they want. You'll be laughed out of their offices.
Now that's funny.
At the same time technology has made the "quality gap" get smaller and smaller. Computerization and mechanical automation in most industries has removed the "craft" out of many products. Example, printing. The quality of the product you received almost totally depended on the skill of the press operators and pre-press techs.
Today presses are so automated, and prepress operations are just about completely done by computer workflow software. So the quality of what you get is virtually the same no matter where you go. This is also true in most industries.
Not to mention everybody out there is trying to pay as little as they can.

Why would I want to help 100 of my competitors better their business model by asking them why they don't do what I do ... :dunno:
Why would I attempt to do the same thing 100 of my competitors do and fight them for the same margin when I can overshoot their processes and products and charge more?

You are absolutely incorrect about an even somewhat level playing field in quality.
I know, I started in Quality as a third party (trademarking) compliance auditor ... In different facilities across 13 separate corporations.
For the most part they used the same equipment and even the same raw materials ... And were nowhere near each other in sustainable quality.

The Hilton is not the Motel 6 and Rolls Royce is not Hyundai ... Never will be ... :thup:

The Hilton is not the Motel 6 and Rolls Royce is not Hyundai

Other than price point they are exactly the same.

I was speaking more to the rich get richer in the sense of big (protected) business

'Protected' from what ... The market applies to business or the rich the same as anyone else?
My point is that you are applying a narrative that simply isn't supported by what you have been led to believe.

Of course the rich get richer ... Why wouldn't they ... Why shouldn't they ... :dunno:

Edit:
I mean they write a check and send it to the Internal Revenue Service but that isn't the whole story.

In any case the customer is who pays the taxes on the money earned by the business ... As it is part of the price the product or service costs.

Because over time it impairs the ability for the small guys to grow. Lots of rules, regs, licences, etc. Not like you can just go out on the street and market your wares. Not impossible, just much more difficult

If you have a properly platformed/planned, and financed company, why would rules and regulations impair ones ability to grow?

The fact is you are describing somebody that enters a business that has no idea what they are doing.
Some are smarter and wealthier than others. I'm simply saying it does not encourage business start ups. It should be easy to start, but then, you need to survive against the competition which is the hard part

What's wrong BLACKSAND, afraid to answer?

Afraid to answer what ... :dunno:
I mean if you think what you posted prior deserves some kind of answer ... I sure don't see why it does ... Not to mention it certainly wasn't a question ... :thup:

Edit:

Some are smarter and wealthier than others. I'm simply saying it does not encourage business start ups. It should be easy to start, but then, you need to survive against the competition which is the hard part

You don't have to be smart or wealthy to start a business.

As I have stated many times of this board, there are only four key elements to start and maintain a successful business.

1) Have a solid plan and platform.

2) Have five years total capital.

3) Know who to hire (which can be farmed out)

4) Never, never, never, hire family.

What's wrong BLACKSAND, afraid to answer?

Afraid to answer what ... :dunno:
I mean if you think what you posted prior deserves some kind of answer ... I sure don't see why it does ... Not to mention it certainly wasn't a question ... :thup:

You wrote: "The Hilton is not the Motel 6 and Rolls Royce is not Hyundai"

I wrote: "Other than price point they are exactly the same."

Show me where I'm wrong.......

It's interesting, seems when I was growing up they were making it so there were no monopolies, but, we are headed right back in that direction.

The giants are taking over the smaller companies. The larger they get, the more then can lure smaller companies off the market, making offers they can't refuse.... sure they have a right to do it, but is it good for the US and the economy?

It's interesting, seems when I was growing up they were making it so there were no monopolies, but, we are headed right back in that direction.

The giants are taking over the smaller companies. The larger they get, the more then can lure smaller companies off the market, making offers they can't refuse.... sure they have a right to do it, but is it good for the US and the economy?

Monopolies started in the 80's, then multiplied in the 2000's. Starting to see a trend?

They lured their customers away by under-pricing the smaller guys.

If all American workers made a living wage this would be more difficult and Walmart wouldn't be happy.

If all American workers made a living wage this would be more difficult and Walmart wouldn't be happy.

if Walmart paid more Amazon would bankrupt them even faster and millions would be unemployed. We could pass a liberal living wage for Walmart and bankrupt them in 5 years if we wanted. See why we say liberalism is based in ignorance?

As I have stated many times of this board, there are only four key elements to start and maintain a successful business.

1) Have a solid plan and platform.

2) Have five years total capital.

3) Know who to hire (which can be farmed out)

4) Never, never, never, hire family.

wrong of course, most important by far is to have a superior product!!

Forum List

Back