The real political scandal of Harvey, and both parties share the blame

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
urricane Harvey was a disaster foretold.

Nearly two decades before the storm's historic assault on homes and businesses along the Gulf Coast of Texas this week, the National Wildlife Federation released a groundbreaking report about the United States government’s dysfunctional flood insurance program, demonstrating how it was making catastrophes worse by encouraging Americans to build and rebuild in flood-prone areas. The report, titled “Higher Ground,” crunched federal data to show that just 2 percent of the program’s insured properties were receiving 40 percent of its damage claims. The most egregious example was a home that had flooded 16 times in 18 years, netting its owners more than $800,000 even though it was valued at less than $115,000.
How Washington Made Harvey Worse

And everyone should have seen how the towns on the upper Mississippi and Missouri were just rebuilding in the same damn place. And TODAY you can buy a really nice new home in the Lower Ninth in New Orleans, even though it's been designed to be the first to be flooded since the 1920s.

Cruz bitches about Sandy, but the houses along outer Long Island were put on stilts, and building codes in ala miss and La got stronger ....... but it seems to me we just rebuilt where it flooded. Something like 60% of Americans live near coastal areas, but JFC move inland a little bit.

Crushed by Katrina, Mississippi's Gulf Coast rebuilds and rejoices a decade later

On Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, what was lost and gained from Katrina’s fury

Okay well I have a success story then. 25 years ago we had similar storm stalled right on top of the Spring Creek watershed and the creek crested at 111.5 feet. We had creek water coming up our street and it stopped 3 houses down. We were the only subdivision out here. I could take my dogs 2 miles though the woods to that creek. Nothing but woods. Since then they built 100 thousand new homes in over 10 new subdivisions. No more traveling with the dogs down to the creek.
With the new construction they installed several holding and retention ponds. Increase the drainage ditches.This time the creek was at 111.45 feet. We had no creek water at all coming into the subdivision, and only some minor street flooding that got into a few houses. So we're stuck, at least we're dry. I didn't think it possible but they did a good job planning that.

Forum List

Back