The Real Minimum Wage Is $0

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
The discussion must be how to get jobs back into America and reversing the implosion of the American education system.

image.jpeg

The discussion must be how to get jobs back into America and reversing the implosion of the American education system.

View attachment 71402

If $0 an hour was the wage, I'm sure we'd get plenty of manufacturing jobs back in the US.

There might be a bit of a worker shortage, of course. As $0 an hour is not the best wage.

View attachment 71402

If $0 an hour was the wage, I'm sure we'd get plenty of manufacturing jobs back in the US.

There might be a bit of a worker shortage, of course. As $0 an hour is not the best wage.

Actually, it is. It essentially means the minimum wage is set by market forces. The only wage you deserve is what you and your employer agree to when you take the job.

View attachment 71402

Actually, it is. It essentially means the minimum wage is set by market forces. The only wage you deserve is what you and your employer agree to when you take the job.

I could care less about 'deserve'. A wage below what is necessary to survive is simply impracticable and unsustainable and wildly exploitative.

The reason that most people support a minimum wage is because of basic games theory instilling in them a sense of fairness.

View attachment 71402

I could care less about 'deserve'. A wage below what is necessary to survive is simply impracticable and unsustainable and wildly exploitative.

Nobody is forced to take a job for a wage they don't want

View attachment 71402

Nobody is forced to take a job for a wage they don't want

Unless they're starving. Its the lovely little morally devoid loophole in the reasoning of the libertarians. They gladly use the violence of starvation or death from the elements to coerce people to be exploited.

Its one of the reasons that the libertarian ideal is so inherently exploitative. Well that and libertarians child like understanding of power.

Not that I'm accusing you of being one of them.

View attachment 71402

The reason that most people support a minimum wage is because of basic games theory instilling in them a sense of fairness.

You said it perfectly. A wage below what is necessary to survive.
As one who grew up in poverty (American version), I have seen what real poverty is around the world since then. While most of our poor are overweight, own a DVD player and cellphone, much of the world has a different perspective on what poor is.

image.jpeg

View attachment 71402

We can't even get people to work for the minimum wage we have now. Our social programs pay better.

Let's say we eliminated the minimum wage, and some places offered $4.00 an hour. How many people do you suppose would apply for that job?

Minimum wage is a political tool and nothing more. It doesn't guarantee you anything really.

The Real Minimum Wage Is $0

How very true.

It used to be that if a person's labor wouldn't bring $7.50/hr worth of revenue to the company that created the job for him, the manager could still offer him the job for $6.50 or whatever the labor DID bring in.

But now with the mandated "minimum wage" soaring far above that, and the person's labor still not bringing in enough to even cover that cost, what choice does the manager have, but to make the wage $0 - that is, to not hire anyone, and to eliminate the job (or build a robot to do it if possible) instead?

How long do you think the manager would keep HIS job, if the owners found him paying $15.00/hr to employees whose labor was only bringing in a total of $6.50/hr to the company?

We can't even get people to work for the minimum wage we have now. Our social programs pay better.
Let's say we eliminated the minimum wage, and some places offered $4.00 an hour. How many people do you suppose would apply for that job?
Minimum wage is a political tool and nothing more. It doesn't guarantee you anything really.
So are the social programs. They are ten or twenty times bigger than they need to be, to help the people who have serious temporary problems get back on their feet.

Forum List

Back