The quality of threads and debates has dropped on this board

How I wish there was a forum for people to discuss the issues on a factual basis.

How I wish just once it could be done without it being spamed to death by people who only know childish hate.

This board could be such a place.
It is posters like you that ruin it for others. Cut down on the retoric and stop demanding people believe everything you say.

The deal is, you sit and type up a wall of text post with fact after fact and each point backed up with intelligent quotes from Aristotle to Zoaster and it gets ignored and it just falls into the pit of neglected threads. You post a stupid that has been posted a thousand times before, and people jump all over it.

I sort of think that this is what the membership wants and so they should have it

Good and hard

If you don't like something, it is up to you to do your best to change it.

I have to admit to being one of the offenders here. There are days I like to show off my intellectual chops, but most of the time I just like to wallow.

Every time one tries to start a reasonably intelligent discussion on this board, it gets idiots chiming in with bullshit and off topic crap. Which is why I normally don't bother trying to discuss anything here. Fortunately, I have a more rational place to indulge my passion for intelligent discussion.

Sad but true. I remember how the MSNBC message board was ruined in the same way.

“How did the Republican party become so greedy, crazy and destructive?”

It’s the one question I see most often from progressives online. It’s a good question and one I find hard to explain to those who aren’t political scientists or historians. It’s complex. But former Reagan official Bruce Bartlett knows what happened to the right and how they strayed away from the traditional conservative platform."

:eusa_whistle:

Used to be really fun to debate on here. Is this a normal decline around election time? There are so many Jerry Springer style topics now that earnest debate is rare unless a thread is derailed.

The best thing you can do to boost the overall quality is log off and never return.

bwgd? :dunno:

The deal is, you sit and type up a wall of text post with fact after fact and each point backed up with intelligent quotes from Aristotle to Zoaster and it gets ignored and it just falls into the pit of neglected threads. You post a stupid that has been posted a thousand times before, and people jump all over it.

I sort of think that this is what the membership wants and so they should have it

Good and hard

I think that's a little over-wrought.

I have had the pleasure of reading some pretty high quality little threads with some terrific supporting material -- and I mean quality from both sides of the discussions.

Sure, they tend not to be the more well-read threads. But they still provide good information and some very interesting discussions.

I like some that force me to look at their linked citations. Sometimes I go JUST to try to expose the partisan nature of the "supporting" piece only to discover (at least when I'm up to being objective) that there is more substance there than I would have imagined.

On the other hand, if an offered link DOES prove to be partisan crap, then it's also fun to tear it up.

This Board (unlike some competitors) is very free-wheeling, too. So the debates and discussions can be both informative and funny.

Case in point.

How does that help any conversation?

It doesn't any more than your dishonest thread about me. It doesn't anymore than you not pointing out their lack of input.

I've made several threads lately about gop stupidity or mistakes. Most of you either ignored it or chimed in with pointless "i told you so" remarks. No discussion of where they went wrong. No discussion of motives. Just me vs you.

And the fact that you jumped on me for my post and not their stupid bingo responses proves my point.

how did they treat a completely legitimate thread about a SCOTUS case?

Try to frame your questions in coherent English sentences, moron.

Tell ya what. You SEEM to have something in particular on your peevish tiny mind. Why not LINK to the thread you have in "mind?" I don't read minds (and yours is full of nothing but static, generally, anyway).

THEN, if you can handle the strain, try to grunt out your complaint about how it got handled by those who happen to disagree with your spin.

And it is bullshit meaningless crap like TDM's quoted post which establishes the point that many threads aren't even worth looking at EXCEPT to mock brain damaged hacks like TDM.

Which is why we need to stop responding to them. I intend to start this minute. I will only respond to a serious poster. Even if they insult me I will respond. I will no longer respond to posts that are pure crap or to posters that refuse to admit they are wrong even when showed that they are wrong.

Used to be really fun to debate on here. Is this a normal decline around election time? There are so many Jerry Springer style topics now that earnest debate is rare unless a thread is derailed.

I don't agree.

There are several threads regarding economics that are very detailed. Many of the threads on Global Warming delve deeply into scientific issues as the "school" Chris and Old Rocks. Many of the religion threads delve deeply into the subjects at hand, and yes, even the Islam threads often get pretty deep - even if you don't like the subject.

You're never going to be able to convince the Left of the error of their ways, ever. Especially, the current bunch
I had all the mind broadening necessary after meeting those pretty, imported French girls on the tobacco fields of my youth. At my current age, I've pretty much seen and experienced it all. Youre going to get a viewpoint based on my life experiences and that's all. I'm not going to be converted to your viewpoint, ever.
If you don't like a particular post, you bury it out of sight.

I don't agree.

There are several threads regarding economics that are very detailed. Many of the threads on Global Warming delve deeply into scientific issues as the "school" Chris and Old Rocks. Many of the religion threads delve deeply into the subjects at hand, and yes, even the Islam threads often get pretty deep - even if you don't like the subject.

True but I'd like to offer two points.

Those threads are outnumbered 10 to one by nonsense.

And lastly I've seen many of the threads you speak of quickly devolved into garbage and completely derailed.

And it is bullshit meaningless crap like TDM's quoted post which establishes the point that many threads aren't even worth looking at EXCEPT to mock brain damaged hacks like TDM.

Which is why we need to stop responding to them. I intend to start this minute. I will only respond to a serious poster. Even if they insult me I will respond. I will no longer respond to posts that are pure crap or to posters that refuse to admit they are wrong even when showed that they are wrong.

Props if you can do it. I've tried and usually fail. Plus sometimes your fuse is just all used up and you gotta let it out.

True but I'd like to offer two points.

Those threads are outnumbered 10 to one by nonsense.

If not a hundred to one!

And lastly I've seen many of the threads you speak of quickly devolved into garbage and completely derailed.

That's probably the biggest danger here, trolls crapping on good discussions.

It's not just TM and Shaman, either: Rightwinger and Shallow are notorious for doing this as well.

Forum List

Back