The "Quad State Tornado -2021" vs "The Tri-State Tornado -1925"

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Friday night's long track tornado has many threads on USMB as well as a bunch of hyped media claims about the "records" it probably set. And many of the other threads on USMB were echoes of "never let a good crisis go to waste" by mocking the disaster with POLITICAL overtones and claims that ONLY Global Warming could explain this event.

It probably DID set a record for the longest continuous track US tornado disaster. Somewhere between about 230 and 250 miles ON the ground. NOAA/USWeatherService will not plot strengths and we won't even have a death toll for maybe a week.

But in all likelihood -- other than total track length, it will probably NOT exceed the death toll from the Tri-state tornado of 1925 which took an IDENTICAL course thru 3 states on a track just about 80 miles to the north of Friday tornado

America's deadliest tornado occurred on March 18, 1925. Tracking across three states, it killed at least 695 people. The tornado was later considered to be F5 strength, the top of the original Fujita Scale for tornado intensity.

The Illinois portion of the track was surveyed by Clarence Root, of the Weather Bureau office in Springfield, IL, and William Barron of the Cairo, IL office; the Indiana portion was surveyed by Albert Brand of the Evansville, IN office. Root and Barron's survey took seven days; in the March 1925 edition of Climatological Data: Illinois Section, they describe staying "as close to the storm track as roads would permit." While going into great detail on the damage along the path, no mention was made of the tornado lifting. In fact, they state: "It can positively be stated that there was only one tornado in Illinois, and that it was continuous from Missouri to beyond Princeton, Indiana."

The tornado that devastated the town of Mayfield was produced by a parent thunderstorm that traveled more than 230 miles across four states over the course of four hours.

The National Weather Service will perform the official tornado survey to confirm if it was a continuous tornado or several tornadoes produced by the same storm. If confirmed as one single and continuous tornado, it will set the record for the longest “long-track” tornado in U.S. history.

The longest on record is the “Tri-State” tornado from 1925, which tracked 219 miles across Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

While the National Weather Service provides the official intensities of the tornadoes after conducting storm surveys, there are several indications that the tornadoes, including the Mayfield one, were in the strong to violent categories, which meteorologists consider EF3, EF4 or EF5 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale.

Track Comparison

Last edited:
Friday night's long track tornado has many threads on USMB as well as a bunch of hyped media claims about the "records" it probably set. And many of the other threads on USMB were echoes of "never let a good crisis go to waste" by mocking the disaster with POLITICAL overtones and claims that ONLY Global could explain this event.

It probably DID set a record for the longest continuous track US tornado disaster. Somewhere between about 230 and 250 miles ON the ground. NOAA/USWeatherService will not plot strengths and we won't even have a death toll for maybe a week.

But in all likelihood -- other than total track length, it will probably NOT exceed the death toll from the Tri-state tornado of 1925 which took an IDENTICAL course thru 3 states on a track just about 80 miles to the north of Friday tornado

America's deadliest tornado occurred on March 18, 1925. Tracking across three states, it killed at least 695 people. The tornado was later considered to be F5 strength, the top of the original Fujita Scale for tornado intensity.

The Illinois portion of the track was surveyed by Clarence Root, of the Weather Bureau office in Springfield, IL, and William Barron of the Cairo, IL office; the Indiana portion was surveyed by Albert Brand of the Evansville, IN office. Root and Barron's survey took seven days; in the March 1925 edition of Climatological Data: Illinois Section, they describe staying "as close to the storm track as roads would permit." While going into great detail on the damage along the path, no mention was made of the tornado lifting. In fact, they state: "It can positively be stated that there was only one tornado in Illinois, and that it was continuous from Missouri to beyond Princeton, Indiana."

The tornado that devastated the town of Mayfield was produced by a parent thunderstorm that traveled more than 230 miles across four states over the course of four hours.

The National Weather Service will perform the official tornado survey to confirm if it was a continuous tornado or several tornadoes produced by the same storm. If confirmed as one single and continuous tornado, it will set the record for the longest “long-track” tornado in U.S. history.

The longest on record is the “Tri-State” tornado from 1925, which tracked 219 miles across Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

While the National Weather Service provides the official intensities of the tornadoes after conducting storm surveys, there are several indications that the tornadoes, including the Mayfield one, were in the strong to violent categories, which meteorologists consider EF3, EF4 or EF5 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale.

Track Comparison

They have plotted the track of this tornado and discovered one curious trait. The tornado apparently lifted in Breckinridge County, KY and skipped the next county before touching down again one county to the northeast. Guess which county it skipped! My county! The storm tracked a few miles north of my home but there was no damage reported in Hardin County, KY where I live.

They have plotted the track of this tornado and discovered one curious trait. The tornado apparently lifted in Breckinridge County, KY and skipped the next county before touching down again one county to the northeast. Guess which county it skipped! My county! The storm tracked a few miles north of my home but there was no damage reported in Hardin County, KY where I live.

Guess you're living clean Admiral.

Then it wont be a 240 "continuous track" tornado and it misses out on the trophy and the hype. Glad you're OK.. I had to stop watching the coverage up in Kentucky.

Not a great believer in duck and cover when it comes to tornadoes. If there is enough warning I hit the road and drive away perpendicular to it.

Guess you're living clean Admiral.

Then it wont be a 240 "continuous track" tornado and it misses out on the trophy and the hype. Glad you're OK.. I had to stop watching the coverage up in Kentucky.
I drove to the Fort Campbell area yesterday and saw where a tornado had hit just north of the post in Christian County KY. My son and his family as well as my daughter who is currently stationed at the post live about 5 miles south and southeast of the post. On I-24, the median and roadsides were littered with debris, mostly sheet metal roofing, and trees were blown down towards the eastbound side of the highway. This same storm produced a tornado that hit Bowling Green KY, further east and about 25 miles above the state line.

Friday night's long track tornado has many threads on USMB as well as a bunch of hyped media claims about the "records" it probably set. And many of the other threads on USMB were echoes of "never let a good crisis go to waste" by mocking the disaster with POLITICAL overtones and claims that ONLY Global Warming could explain this event.

Track Comparison

I was 8n the mountains high up the temp went from 50 degrees to 73 degrees in mere minutes

When I came out of mountains the temperature dropped 20
The wind and rain were wild ...

No twister here ...

Of course, the nutters were going to run with this.........

In the late 2000's, there was a late year tornado outbreak. Same shit happened.....end of days chatter. What happened next? A historic decline of tornado activity in the US.........for YEARS! :cul2: :cul2:

Exceedingly well documented in this thread.......... More Proof the skeptics are WINNING!! ( btw.....one of the ePiC threads on the entire USMB :eusa_dance: )

facts > hysteria

Of course, the nutters were going to run with this.........

In the late 2000's, there was a late year tornado outbreak. Same shit happened.....end of days chatter. What happened next? A historic decline of tornado activity in the US.........for YEARS! :cul2: :cul2:

Exceedingly well documented in this thread.......... More Proof the skeptics are WINNING!! ( btw.....one of the ePiC threads on the entire USMB :eusa_dance: )

facts > hysteria
In the late 2000s? It's only 2021 now!

Kentucky has had a very bad 20 months of damaging weather. And it looks like this week will only add to that. In a state that is already poor, this kind of infrastructure damage is devastating. Money that would otherwise have gone to creating new businesses and infrastructure, will go to rebuilding or repairing existing businesses and infrastructure. Going to be some hard years for the people of Kentucky.

This tornado did not kill as many people as past tornadoes because of weather forecasts and weather radar. One has only to look at the drone footages to realize the extent of the damage and energy that tornado had.

It happened in March. This tornado happened in December. December is said to be significant because it is off tornado season.
There is really no "off tornado season". The storms are determined by cold fronts, warm air masses and jet stream location. I had a tornado hit my neighborhood in Virginia along the Atlantic coast in November.

Track Comparison

Clearly global warming is responsible for the 2021 tornado taking a different track than the 1925 tornado. :rolleyes:

Clearly global warming is responsible for the 2021 tornado taking a different track than the 1925 tornado. :rolleyes:

I think I've seen that argument in the GW literature. That GW has caused the jet stream to dip farther south in the past 100 years. Not much "action" on that isolated theory - but I've seen them float that balloon.. :wink:

I think I've seen that argument in the GW literature. That GW has caused the jet stream to dip farther south in the past 100 years. Not much "action" on that isolated theory - but I've seen them float that balloon.. :wink:
They are hammers looking for nails, not scientists looking for truth.

Normal for December is 23 tornados, over a hundred so far in just the last week. And we still have half of December to go.

That "average" goes back before Doppler Radar. Once those NextRad systems were fielded, the number of INDICATED TORNADOES went WAAAY the hell up.. I know, I contributed to the NextRad system.

Dont think the weather service even INVESTIGATED EF0 or EF1s before mid 1990s.

I need to update this post. There was damage in my county, confirmed to be a tornado by the NWS, where a barn and several outbuildings were destroyed about 5 miles due north of my home in Hardin County, so there was a continuous track of the storm that stared in the extreme western part of the state.

At the north end of that storm we first got pouring rain followed by several inches of snow. Made quite a mess of the roads.

Forum List

Back