The Problem With Giving Condoms to 11-Year-Olds

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A controversial campaign to promote safer sex is raising eyebrows by offering free condoms to children as young as 11 years old.

The campaign, launched by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, is called Take Control, and offers information about a variety of sexual health topics including sexually transmitted disease prevention and pregnancy. The free condoms, which can be mail ordered, feature detailed information and graphic illustrations that instruct users on how to properly use them.

"Playing it safe just got easier," the Take Control campaign said on its website. "If you live in Philadelphia and are between the ages of 11 and 19 you can now have condoms mailed directly to you for FREE. Maybe it's difficult for you to stop by one of our sites to pick up condoms. Or maybe you're just shy or feeling weird about picking up condoms."

Read more: The Problem With Giving Condoms to 11-Year-Olds - FoxNews.com

The video is supposed to be pretty graphic. I haven't seen it, nor do I want to. But there is a far bigger danger here than 11 year olds getting AIDs.

IMHO the City of Phila. is encouraging children to surf the internet without parental permission and essentially lie to their parents. WTF?

A controversial campaign to promote safer sex is raising eyebrows by offering free condoms to children as young as 11 years old.

The campaign, launched by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, is called Take Control, and offers information about a variety of sexual health topics including sexually transmitted disease prevention and pregnancy. The free condoms, which can be mail ordered, feature detailed information and graphic illustrations that instruct users on how to properly use them.

"Playing it safe just got easier," the Take Control campaign said on its website. "If you live in Philadelphia and are between the ages of 11 and 19 you can now have condoms mailed directly to you for FREE. Maybe it's difficult for you to stop by one of our sites to pick up condoms. Or maybe you're just shy or feeling weird about picking up condoms."

Read more: The Problem With Giving Condoms to 11-Year-Olds - FoxNews.com

The video is supposed to be pretty graphic. I haven't seen it, nor do I want to. But there is a far bigger danger here than 11 year olds getting AIDs.

IMHO the City of Phila. is encouraging children to surf the internet without parental permission and essentially lie to their parents. WTF?

Many, many kids have computers with internet access in their rooms and the parents are clueless about what the kids are doing. No parental controls, no locks on the computer, no supervision. A simple solution is to yank that damn thing and put it in a public place . . .family room, kitchen, etc. and keep an eye on what your kid is doing. Also, there are plenty of 'safety software' type programs out there.

Last year my youngest was 13 and her 12 year old friend slept over. They wanted to watch the movie 'Easy A', rated PG-13. My oldest (20) happened to be home and looked at me with bug eyes. Why? It's basically a movie about promoting young girls to have sex in order to become popular. And? The 12 year old OWNED the movie. Here's a link to a review based on drugs/language/sexual content, etc. Easy A [2010] [PG-13] - 7.2.4

I've come to the conclusion that a large majority of parents are morons and have no clue what their kids are up to.

Forum List

Back