The Price of Freedom

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Exclusive commentary by Lori Kimble

This piece was written by Lori Kimble, a 31-year-old California native who is now a teacher in Alabama and the wife of a serviceman. She contributes occasional pieces to The Washington Dispatch, and this item was her contribution:

It could have been any night of the week, as I sat in one of those loud and casual steak houses that are cropping up all over the country. You know the type- a bucket of peanuts on the table, shells littering the floor, and a bunch of perky college kids racing around with longneck beers and sizzling platters.

Taking a sip of my iced tea, I studied the crowd over the rim of my glass. I let my gaze linger on a few of the tables next to me, where several uniformed military members were enjoying their meals. Smiling sadly, I glanced across my booth to the empty seat where my husband usually sat. Had it had only been a few weeks since we had sat at this very table talking about his upcoming deployment to the Middle East? He made me promise to come back to this restaurant once a month, sit in our booth, and treat myself to a nice dinner. He told me that he would treasure the thought of me there eating a steak and thinking about him until he came home. I fingered the little flag pin I wear on my jacket and wondered where at that moment he was. Was he safe and warm? Was his cold any better? Were any of my letters getting to him? As I pondered all of these things, shrill feminine voices from the next booth broke into my thoughts.

"I don't know what Bush is thinking invading Iraq. Didn't he learn anything from his father's mistakes? He is an idiot anyway, I can't believe he is even in office. You know he stole the election."

I cut into my steak and tried not to listen as they began an endless tirade of running down our president. I thought about the last night I was with my husband as he prepared to deploy. He had just returned from getting his smallpox and anthrax shots and the image of him standing in our kitchen packing his gas mask still gave me chills.

Once again their voices invaded my thoughts.

"It is all about oil, you know. Our military will go in and rape and pillage and steal all the oil they can in the name of freedom. I wonder how many innocent lives our soldiers will take without a thought? It is just pure greed."

My chest tightened and I stared at my wedding ring. I could picture how handsome my husband was in his mess dress the day he slipped it on my finger. I wondered what he was wearing at that moment. He probably had on his desert uniform, affectionately dubbed coffee stains, over the top of which he wore a heavy bulletproof vest.

"We should just leave Iraq alone. I don't think they are hiding any weapons. I think it is all a ploy to increase the president's popularity and pad the budget of our military at the expense of social security and education. We are just asking for another 9-11 and I can't say when it happens again that we didn't deserve it."

Their words brought to mind the war protesters I had watched gathering outside our base. Did no one appreciate the sacrifice of brave men and women who leave their homes and family to ensure our freedom? I glimpsed at the tables around me and saw the faces of some of those courageous men, looking sad as they listened to the ladies talk.

"Well I for one, think it is a travesty to invade Iraq and I am certainly sick of our tax dollars going to train the professional baby killers we call a military."

Professional baby killers? As I thought about what a wonderful father my husband is and wondered how long it would be before he was able to see his children again, indignation rose up within me. Normally reserved, pride in my husband gave me a boldness I had never known. Tonight, one voice would cry out on behalf of the military. One shy woman would stand and let her pride in our troops be known. I made my way to their table, placed my palms flat on it and lowered myself to be eye level with them. Smiling I said, "I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. I am sitting over here trying to enjoy my dinner alone. Do you know why I am alone? Because my husband, whom I love dearly, is halfway across the world defending your right to say rotten things about him. You have the right to your opinion, and what you think is none of my business, but what you say in my hearing is and I will not sit by and listen to you run down my country, my president, my husband, and all these other fine men and women in here who put their lives on the line to give you the freedom to complain. Freedom is expensive ladies, don't let your actions cheapen it."

I must have been louder than I meant to be, because about that time the manager came over and asked if everything was all right. "Yes thank you." I replied and then turned back to the ladies, "Enjoy the rest of your meal."

To my surprise, as I sat down to finish my steak, a round of applause broke out in the restaurant. Not long after the ladies picked up their check and scurried away, the manager brought me a huge helping of apple cobbler and ice cream, compliments of the table to my left. He told me that the ladies had tried to pay for my dinner, but someone had beaten them to it. When I asked who he said the couple had already left, but that the man had mentioned he was a WWII vet and wanted to take care of the wife of one of our boys.

I turned to thank the soldiers for the cobbler, but they wouldn't hear a word of it, retorting, "Thank you, you said what we wanted to say but weren't allowed."

As I drove home that night, for the first time in while, I didn't feel quite so alone. My heart was filled with the warmth of all the patrons who had stopped by my table to tell me they too were proud of my husband and that he would be in their prayers. I knew their flags would fly a little higher the next day. Perhaps they would look for tangible ways to show their pride in our country and our troops, and maybe, just maybe, the two ladies sitting at that table next to me would pause for a minute to appreciate all the freedom this great country offers and what it costs to maintain. As for me, I had learned that one voice can make a difference. Maybe the next time protestors gather outside the gates of the base where I live, I will proudly stand across the street with a sign of my own. A sign that says "Thank you!"

I was very touched when I read that article. It puts a few things in perspective. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and we all have the right to disagree with our governments actions, but let us not forget how we received these freedoms. Enjoying those freedoms while ridiculing our soldiers and calling them names is quite distasteful.

Wow, sure makes you sit and think, that's for sure! great post Jim! :clap:

Originally posted by jimnyc
I was very touched when I read that article. It puts a few things in perspective. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and we all have the right to disagree with our governments actions, but let us not forget how we received these freedoms. Enjoying those freedoms while ridiculing our soldiers and calling them names is quite distasteful.

That's one thing I certainly can agree on. It incenses me when people blame the soldiers themselves. They're fighting for what they're country is telling them to. They don't decide who and when. Ironically that's up to the people who don't get to see it first hand.

True or false or apocryphal this is a very well-written piece of propaganda. I have certainly never heard anyone call US troops "baby-killers", though I wouldn't hesitate to use that label for commanders who chose to use cluster bombs in civilian areas. The real falsehood in this article, I believe, is that our troops are fighting for our freedom. I certainly don't believe that my freedom has anything to do with what their fighting for in Iraq. If anything, it will only decrease as the war gives even more people even more reason to hate us.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/l/lorikimble.htm

Oh please, SHOW ONE BIT OF PROOF THAT WHAT SHE WROTE IS NOT TRUE! A shit page showing disbelief in the article does absolutely nothing to disprove the validity of the article.

Never heard anyone call the troops baby killers? Do you live under a rock? It's one of the most widely used disparaging terms at marches and protests.

I wonder how those who have loved ones in Iraq would feel if they ate a meal sitting next to you and heard you call their husbands/wives or children "suckers" or "uneducated" or "deluded".

Oh please, SHOW ONE BIT OF PROOF THAT WHAT SHE WROTE IS NOT TRUE! A shit page showing disbelief in the article does absolutely nothing to disprove the validity of the article.

Never heard anyone call the troops baby killers? Do you live under a rock? It's one of the most widely used disparaging terms at marches and protests.

I wonder how those who have loved ones in Iraq would feel if they ate a meal sitting next to you and heard you call their husbands/wives or children "suckers" or "uneducated" or "deluded".

I have no idea whether or not this is true, but it is a very clever piece of writing.

I have been to numerous anti-war demonstrations and have not once heard someone call US troops baby-killers. At what protest did you hear it?

I have a funny anecdote about when I was having dinner with a Japanese friend of mine and he made some comments about "Guantanamo hostages" not realizing he was sitting behind a soldier (either a soldier or a well-built, middle-age man with an East-German skinhead (sides and back shaved) haircut), but I'll spare you the details.

What does this link show us? It highlights truth and then offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show it isn't true.

In fact, here is exactly what it offers under the "truth" part:

"Lori Kimble, the writer of the article, is a frequent contributor of commentaries for the Washington Dispatch.
This particular commentary was published in April of 2003."

Didn't we know that already?

Nice try, but you failed miserably!

Educate yourself. Type in "troops baby killers" at a search engine and you'll see that the term is used widely. This has been being said about our troops for as long as I can remember, and probably longer than that.

:) Patriotism and feelings are flying high, but the truth is plain and cruel. Our troops are unnecessarily exposed to terrorist attacks in Iraq. Terrorists do not need to go here, they can kill many there, in Iraq, whcih they do methodically. Our troops cannot defend themsleves. There are no rules during war time, especially in modern times. Everything goes for victory. Bush exposed our troops to terrorists in the wrong country. He started this war based on wrong information. Terrorism has its own rules, real weapons of mass destruction are those schools where clerics indoctrinate suicide bombers. He did not finish his task in Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is a fiasco unfolding.

What does this link show us? It highlights truth and then offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show it isn't true.

In fact, here is exactly what it offers under the "truth" part:

"Lori Kimble, the writer of the article, is a frequent contributor of commentaries for the Washington Dispatch.
This particular commentary was published in April of 2003."

Didn't we know that already?

Nice try, but you failed miserably!

It shows that she's a clever, experienced editorialist. My guess is the story is apocryphal.

Now where was it you heard someone call US troops baby-killers recently?

Originally posted by Sevendogs
:) Patriotism and feelings are flying high, but the truth is plain and cruel. Our troops are unnecessarily exposed to terrorist attacks in Iraq. Terrorists do not need to go here, they can kill many there, in Iraq, whcih they do methodically. Our troops cannot defend themsleves. There are no rules during war time, especially in modern times. Everything goes for victory. Bush exposed our troops to terrorists in the wrong country. He started this war based on wrong information. Terrorism has its own rules, real weapons of mass destruction are those schools where clerics indoctrinate suicide bombers. He did not finish his task in Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is a fiasco unfolding.

Dude, we get your point! Are you going to repeat this same crap in every thread on this board? Once was sufficient to make your point, the readers here are intelligent enough to grasp it the first time.

I might add it's a load of crap anyway.

The anit-war rhetoric that Lori Kimble writes that she heard is stated daily on message boards throughout the internet, so why would it be so hard to believe that someone verbally stated their feelings?

The defense that she used when speaking up is also used daily on message boards throughout the internet, so why would it be so hard to believe that the wife of an American soldier spoke up when hearing this crap?

A WW2 veteran buying her meal out of respect sounds along the proper lines to me. Why is that so hard to believe?

I see absolutely nothing that is so incredulous in this article that would lead me to believe it's anything but the truth. Claiming it has been made up is just another way of someone trashing our soldiers and those who give their full support to them.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me though, as this is the very same person who calls our troops "suckers" and "uneducated from the midwest" and "deluded".

To steal a quote from Mrs. Kimble, you cheapen our freedoms when you write such garbage.

"Thursday, March 27, 2003 10:13 p.m. EST
Rangel Slams U.S. Troops as Child Killers

Congressman Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., is accusing U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq of killing civilian women and children - in a series of allegations that includes the charge that President Bush is not qualified to be commander in chief.

"I just don't believe that you bomb women and children in order to enforce [the U.N. resolution on Iraq]," the Harlem Democrat told Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" Thursday night.

When challenged on his claim that U.S. forces were killing Iraqi children, Rangel said sarcastically, "You're right. They're shooting themselves. They just don't know they're being liberated."

After accusing American GIs of what amounts to the commission of war crimes, Rangel then slammed President Bush as unqualified to lead the U.S. into war.

"With all due respect to the president, I don't think he has the experience for me to be listening to him on how the war's going or what we should be doing," the left-wing Democrat and Hillary Clinton ally complained. "It would be a tremendous stretch to say that I have an appreciation for the president's knowledge of international politics."
----------------------------

Where in the above does he call US troops baby-killers?

http://www.normaloquendi.com/archives/000244.html

Here someone is arguing that US troops are not baby-killers.

http://babykiller.com/

I don't care for the name of this site, but from their homepage it looks like they're refering to Bush, not US soldiers, as a baby-killer.

http://www.notfrisco2.com/webzine/Joel/archives/002049.html

Here someone writes:

"Every day that our troops remain in Iraq means it will become harder and harder for them to avoid being called "baby killers""

A few people seem to be suggesting that those who oppose the war consider US troops baby-killers, whereas in fact, as you implied, ""suckers" or "uneducated" or "deluded"" is a more likely characterization troops are would come across.

Originally posted by SLClemens
A few people seem to be suggesting that those who oppose the war consider US troops baby-killers, whereas in fact, as you implied, ""suckers" or "uneducated" or "deluded"" is a more likely characterization troops are would come across.

The troops are not baby killers, nor are they any of the terms which you just love to call them.

You'll only find references to them as baby killers on message boards, propoganda sites & protests, as no self respecting media outlet would lower themselves to that level.

Let's assume for a second that Mrs. Kimble wrote a fictional article. Does that make the words spoken any less true? A couple of twits made a mockery of the soldiers. A soldiers wife stood up to them. Those within earshot applauded them. The typical American will not allow others to make disparaging remarks about our soldiers, whether you agree with war or not.

Only assholes, like yourself, lower themselves to make such foolish comments.

The troops are not baby killers, nor are they any of the terms which you just love to call them.

You'll only find references to them as baby killers on message boards, propoganda sites & protests, as no self respecting media outlet would lower themselves to that level.

Let's assume for a second that Mrs. Kimble wrote a fictional article. Does that make the words spoken any less true? A couple of twits made a mockery of the soldiers. A soldiers wife stood up to them. Those within earshot applauded them. The typical American will not allow others to make disparaging remarks about our soldiers, whether you agree with war or not.

Only assholes, like yourself, lower themselves to make such foolish comments.

Actually, even on message boards, propaganda sites, and during protests I have not come across people calling US troops baby-killers - only Bush and some members of his cabinet. I have, however, heard many people speak of US troops as very pitiable, and have spoken of them in such terms myself.

Originally posted by SLClemens
Actually, even on message boards, propaganda sites, and during protests I have not come across people calling US troops baby-killers - only Bush and some members of his cabinet. I have, however, heard many people speak of US troops as very pitiable, and have spoken of them in such terms myself.

So now "pitiable" (which means deserving pity or compassion) is synonymous with calling someone "suckers"? :rolleyes:

It's not my fault you haven't seen the term baby killer being used, but it is!

Your attempt at discrediting the article is lame at best. Your only reasoning for doing so is because it puts people such as yourself that spout namecalling about our troops in the limelight. It's not respectable and reeks of a lack of dignity. No amount of explanations will ever make the total lack of respect you show our soldiers any less disgusting. The fact that you don't find embarassment within yourself is equally telling.

Whether or not you agree with the actions of our government, the troops believe they are there in OUR best interest. To continually make inane comments about them is a slap in the face.

Yes, actually, I do tend to pity "*******".

This post has been edited by jimnyc

You've been warned repeatedly about namecalling of our soldiers. NT vowed to ban you, I'll just edit posts and allow you to continue - but this crap will disappear.

Forum List

Back