The Politics of Policing

Absolutely not true. Anyway, you all had Michael Brown tagged as an innocent victim and hero, and how did that turn out for you?
How many participants in this forum regarded Michael Brown as anything other than the bullying scumbag he was? Maybe two or three Black racists did, but that's all.

"Big Mike" Brown deserved what he got.

Well, his mom is going to speak at the Democratic Convention, so I hear...

[...]

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch.

[...]

I've been watching the tv "ride-along" documentary series, COPS, for quite some time now. For those who are not familiar with it, this production covers police departments, big and small, all over the U.S., by having a camera crew ride along with cops during their tour of duty. Based on what I've seen, and what anyone who cares to watch this series will see, the vast majority, I estimate about 80% or more, of the activity American cops engage in involves petty drug offenses and domestic issues.

Any neutral individual who is willing to invest the time in following the COPS series will soon come to realize that no less then 50% of the activity American cops engage in is absolutely unnecessary and much of it is counterproductive. Very little of it comes close to the kind of hyper-macho, melodramatic, nonsensical police fiction served to the American tv viewer on a daily basis.

But don't take my word for it -- watch COPS.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying that being a glorified day-care worker leaves their mannerphantasien unfulfilled, so when even the slightest provocation presents itself they feel the need to make the most of it?

[...]

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch.

[...]

I've been watching the tv "ride-along" documentary series, COPS, for quite some time now. For those who are not familiar with it, this production covers police departments, big and small, all over the U.S., by having a camera crew ride along with cops during their tour of duty. Based on what I've seen, and what anyone who cares to watch this series will see, the vast majority, I estimate about 80% or more, of the activity American cops engage in involves petty drug offenses and domestic issues.

Any neutral individual who is willing to invest the time in following the COPS series will soon come to realize that no less then 50% of the activity American cops engage in is absolutely unnecessary and much of it is counterproductive. Very little of it comes close to the kind of hyper-macho, melodramatic, nonsensical police fiction served to the American tv viewer on a daily basis.

Do you feel at least a little ridiculous using a reality TV show as a basis for your argument?

[...]

[...]

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying that being a glorified day-care worker leaves their mannerphantasien unfulfilled, so when even the slightest provocation presents itself they feel the need to make the most of it?

Well since we deal mostly with liberals, or the results of their policies, lets not call it day care, lets call it special education teacher.

[...]

[...]

Well since we deal mostly with liberals, or the results of their policies, lets not call it day care, lets call it special education teacher.

I'll take that as a yes.

[...]

[...]

I'll take that as a yes.

I'm sure you do.

Do you feel at least a little ridiculous using a reality TV show as a basis for your argument?
The tv reality program I've referenced is exactly that -- videotaped reality, which is a far more reliable reference than the vainglorious, wholly exaggerated, fictional nonsense you put forth here. So why is that ridiculous? Because it will reveal you to be a complete and absolute fake?

Aside from that, what are your thoughts on the drug war? Do you think it serves any useful purpose? If so, please explain and I'll get back to you again.

Last edited:
The tv reality program I've referenced is exactly that -- videotaped reality, which is a far more reliable reference than the vainglorious, wholly exaggerated, fictional nonsense you put forth here. So why is that ridiculous? Because it will reveal you to be a complete and absolute fake.

Aside from that, what are your thought on the drug war? Do you think it serves any useful purpose? If so, please explain and I'll get back to you again.

You mean like the Kardashians? My suggestion to you is to go to your local department and do a ride along or 2. Then you can better judge. Unless you live in a town where nothing happens. Then go to a bigger city. Funny you consider my personal experience "fictional" lol. Whatever.

OK, drug war. Is it a failure? Yes. Should we be locking people up for smoking pot? No. My problem with legalization is it will be much easier for kids to get their hands on it, and I hope we can at least agree that is a bad thing? Kids using drugs? I know other countries have legalized drugs and it works for them. My worry is with addictive as our country is, legalizing drugs is the tipping point that sends us completely down the toilet. So, in short, I don't know what the right answer is.

The tv reality program I've referenced is exactly that -- videotaped reality, which is a far more reliable reference than the vainglorious, wholly exaggerated, fictional nonsense you put forth here. So why is that ridiculous? Because it will reveal you to be a complete and absolute fake?

Aside from that, what are your thoughts on the drug war? Do you think it serves any useful purpose? If so, please explain and I'll get back to you again.
LOL...you don't get reality TV, do you?

I bet you think WWE is real too.

You mean like the Kardashians? My suggestion to you is to go to your local department and do a ride along or 2. Then you can better judge. Unless you live in a town where nothing happens. Then go to a bigger city. Funny you consider my personal experience "fictional" lol. Whatever.
Why would I need to do that. The Spike tv network has provided years of continuous "ride-along" tv episodes featuring police departments from New York City to Alaska. If you would follow that series you would know better than try to get over with the fictional nonsense you put forth here.

OK, drug war. Is it a failure? Yes. Should we be locking people up for smoking pot? No. My problem with legalization is it will be much easier for kids to get their hands on it, and I hope we can at least agree that is a bad thing?
It was much easier for kids to get their hands on bootleg booze during Prohibition than it is today, mainly because the bootleggers are gone -- as will the street dope dealers be if the drug war is ended. Do you know The Netherlands decriminalized marijuana in 1976? Since then, use by adolescents has been substantially reduced.

Kids using drugs? I know other countries have legalized drugs and it works for them. My worry is with addictive as our country is, legalizing drugs is the tipping point that sends us completely down the toilet. So, in short, I don't know what the right answer is.
You don't know what the right answer is and you really don't know what you're talking about.

That Video of that horrible mother Should go Nationwide now! Democratic Convention my ass. That kid should be taken away asap and probably mother should be locked up for drinking Henessy with another baby in the oven and dope.

These rabid liberals in this thread ignore the whole thing and continued to attack the Police w/o Mention of this horrible Beast. Either they're too lazy to watch or they just want to spew their garbage. They should all be banned from the board for one year. I have never put anyone on ignore but I may have to start.

Heartbreaking to hear that kid want to ride her bike while that "mother" danced around igniting her! Did these leftist fools not see what that mother was doing with a baby in the backseat and one in the oven?

Dad role model Going right along with all of it. God I hate American scum and I hate what you put the Police through Day after day all day.

Why would I need to do that. The Spike tv network has provided years of continuous "ride-along" tv episodes featuring police departments from New York City to Alaska. If you would follow that series you would know better than try to get over with the fictional nonsense you put forth here.

OK, drug war. Is it a failure? Yes. Should we be locking people up for smoking pot? No. My problem with legalization is it will be much easier for kids to get their hands on it, and I hope we can at least agree that is a bad thing?
It was much easier for kids to get their hands on bootleg booze during Prohibition than it is today, mainly because the bootleggers are gone -- as will the street dope dealers be if the drug war is ended. Do you know The Netherlands decriminalized marijuana in 1976? Since then, use by adolescents has been substantially reduced.

Kids using drugs? I know other countries have legalized drugs and it works for them. My worry is with addictive as our country is, legalizing drugs is the tipping point that sends us completely down the toilet. So, in short, I don't know what the right answer is.
You don't know what the right answer is and you really don't know what you're talking about.

Yes. I don't know what I am talking about. I am in the middle of it, actually working with these people, and you are watching it on TV.

Give me a fucking break you lunatic.

[...]

These rabid liberals in this thread ignore the whole thing and continued to attack the Police w/o Mention of this horrible Beast.

[...]
You seem to believe the police are generally beyond reproach and should not be criticized. But you are not unique in that regard. Rather you are a stereotypical example of the authoritarian personality, a condition which affects a broad category of Americans whose favorite form of entertainment is fictional police drama, which is by far the most popular genre of contemporary television and accounts for an enormously profitable sponsor base. The simple fact is authoritarians (like you) preconsciously worship the most crystallized form of authority known to contemporary Americans -- the police.

If you doubt what saying you might find it an interesting pastime to start a list of every police movie or tv drama you can remember. If you're old enough you can start with Dragnet, It won't take long for you to realize that a substantial percentage of Americans have a secret crush on cops and all of the melodramatic fiction associated with them in their fantasies.

Yes. I don't know what I am talking about. I am in the middle of it, actually working with these people, and you are watching it on TV.

The only thing you're in the middle of is a fantasy. But inasmuch as these Internet forums occur as theater-of-the-mind for some my only interest in this discussion is enlightening those whom your meandering might mislead. I'm really not interested in busting your bubble.

The only thing you're in the middle of is a fantasy. But inasmuch as these Internet forums occur as theater-of-the-mind for some my only interest in this discussion is enlightening those whom your meandering might mislead. I'm really not interested in busting your bubble.

Shouldn't you be watching some TV? Enlightenment awaits you.

FYI - you don't learn about life from youtube and cable TV. So, keep fighting the tyrannical government from your parents basement, if you like.

Last edited:
As an officer, it is frustrating to see my profession under attack. There are many things about what cops do that people just don't understand. Of course, politicians don't give a shit about facts, or educating themselves. Sadly, neither does much of the public.

The mental health and drug and alcohol abuse we deal with thousands, hundreds of thousands of times a day would make your head spin. You only understand if you have done this job. The "system" continuously lets repeat violent offenders back out on the street because keeping them in jail "costs too much money." So who deals with them? We do. Over and over. Multiple times a day we each deal with situations that would make the majority of the public shit themselves. Then, the next day, we do it again.

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch. Do you hear about when we use the less lethal or taser on the armed suspect and avoid shooting them? Nope. When we use only verbal to talk the suspect down? No. When we physically fight with the person, often resulting in injury to us, does that make the news? No. To the uneducated, a traffic stop or some other "routine" call may not seem like a big deal. What you don't know is ANY traffic stop, ANY call can turn deadly. I know, I was shot during one of those "routine" stops. Why? Because the repeat criminal had a couple felony charges coming and decided he wasn't going back to prison, where he never should have been let out of in the first place. I almost didn't go home that night to my wife and children.

When cops do wrong, we need to be held accountable. We need to be held to a high standard. Absolutely. However, remember all the good things we do every day to keep our communities safe, because THAT is why we do this job. We are protectors.
I was a volunteer on an ambulance in our township for 15 years until about 10 years ago. I worked with police many times, local officers, County deputies and State troopers, and I know the truth of your post. I did know one eager cop who always had to be first on scene, and another that we called "Tackleberry" for opening a locked car by shooting out the window. But today's thin blue line has so much more to deal with than it did even those few years ago. Everybody has a snap answer for the problem, and mine is the proliferation of guns and the open carry. Now that everyone can carry, the police have to be so much more cautious and suspicious because there aren't a lot of second chances in their work. The excuse of the Miami cop that shot the caregiver Kinsey and who was actually shooting at the autistic patient sounds almost laughable to anyone not familiar with police work. I do not excuse him, but I know the heat of the moment and the tension of these times. And he had been told by Central that it was a 'man with a gun' call. These unfortunate instances will not go away until some measure of reason is inserted into our national psyche.

Last point:

I have said this already, but it is worth repeating: All this anti-cop rhetoric is going to result in the following:
  • Some departments, mostly bigger ones with liberal elected officials, are going to give into the pressure and begin to change policy that puts both the officers and LAW ABIDING citizens at risk. The only ones who will benefit are the criminals.
  • The really good cops who have been on the job long enough to be good at what they do but not long enough to where they can't afford to leave will say "fuck this" and go bye-bye.
  • People considering law enforcement as a 2nd career are going to reconsider that choice and either continue what they are doing or pick something else.
  • Fewer young people are going to want to do it, either because of the danger or the bad reputation
  • Combine the above, which I am already seeing, and the pool just keeps getting shallower. Departments are going to have to lower hiring standards to put people on the street. We all know that ain't good.
So, if there is an issue in your department, the people of that city or county, the elected officials, and the department need to fix those issues. It might just come down to a few bad people, or maybe the bad ones are at the top and the whole department needs a reboot. But, if this continues you are going to see some serious issues in the not so distant future, and if you think it is bad now, just wait.

I was a volunteer on an ambulance in our township for 15 years until about 10 years ago. I worked with police many times, local officers, County deputies and State troopers, and I know the truth of your post. I did know one eager cop who always had to be first on scene, and another that we called "Tackleberry" for opening a locked car by shooting out the window. But today's thin blue line has so much more to deal with than it did even those few years ago. Everybody has a snap answer for the problem, and mine is the proliferation of guns and the open carry. Now that everyone can carry, the police have to be so much more cautious and suspicious because there aren't a lot of second chances in their work. The excuse of the Miami cop that shot the caregiver Kinsey and who was actually shooting at the autistic patient sounds almost laughable to anyone not familiar with police work. I do not excuse him, but I know the heat of the moment and the tension of these times. And he had been told by Central that it was a 'man with a gun' call. These unfortunate instances will not go away until some measure of reason is inserted into our national psyche.
In New York City of the '50s and '60s the cops walked beats. They carried nightsticks, .38 revolvers and they had no portable radios. There was only one police car per 6 - 8 walking post sector and they had short-range radios that worked sometimes. Back then the rule was a cop didn't discharge his gun unless he actually saw a weapon in a subject's hand or there was an equivalent necessity. Back then, for a cop to say "I thought he was reaching for a gun," was simply not acceptable.

I'm recalling the effect of those more restrictive rules was the police were much more cautious than they are today. They didn't go rushing in like Marines on a beach landing -- as in the example of the cop who shot the young boy (Tamir Rice) with a fake gun in a playground, and many other examples of excessive and unnecessary Gung-Ho. The striking thing about the topic example of unnecessary lethal force is the excessively eager cop's response when asked why he shot the unarmed subject, which was, "I don't know!" And therein lies the tale.

I will venture to say in the vast majority of unnecessary shooting incidents the cause is absence of judicious caution. Excessive eagerness. Feelings of invincibility.

In New York City of the '50s and '60s the cops walked beats. They carried nightsticks, .38 revolvers and they had no portable radios. There was only one police car per 6 - 8 walking post sector and they had short-range radios that worked sometimes. Back then the rule was a cop didn't discharge his gun unless he actually saw a weapon in a subject's hand or there was an equivalent necessity. Back then, for a cop to say "I thought he was reaching for a gun," was simply not acceptable.

I'm recalling the effect of those more restrictive rules was the police were much more cautious than they are today. They didn't go rushing in like Marines on a beach landing -- as in the example of the cop who shot the young boy (Tamir Rice) with a fake gun in a playground, and many other examples of excessive and unnecessary Gung-Ho. The striking thing about the topic example of unnecessary lethal force is the excessively eager cop's response when asked why he shot the unarmed subject, which was, "I don't know!" And therein lies the tale.

I will venture to say in the vast majority of unnecessary shooting incidents the cause is absence of judicious caution. Excessive eagerness. Feelings of invincibility.

Lol...so you want to go back to the police tactics of decades ago...when they used to beat the shit out of people with those nightsticks...

Also, back then toy guns looked like...toy guns. Now, they look like real guns, except for those orange tips, which the kids remove so they look like...real guns.

I would have to say there was also a much greater respect level back then. What do you think happened to a criminal who resisted arrest back then? They went to jail with a few less teeth, thats what. So guess what? They didn't resist arrest.

Do you ever think before you type, or did you just see a documentary on old time policing on Netflix?

Alright. Sometimes y'all do what you are supposed to. That's great.

Pedophiles may always slow down when they drive by children playing, but I'm not about to give them a medal for it.

Sometimes? How about 99.9% of the time, in situations where people like you would curl up in the fetal position and pee themselves.

We aren't looking for medals, just shut the f*ck up until you have all the information on an incident.

Video evidence = all the information anyone needs.
A few clips shown thousands of times looks like thousands of incidents to baby libtard.

Forum List

Back