The politics of anti-smoking movements

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Know who first popularized anti-smoking?

The Nazis Forgotten Anti-Smoking Campaign The Atlantic

"In 1939, German scientist Franz Müller presented the first epidemiological study linking tobacco use and cancer. In 1943, a paper prepared by German scientists Eberhard Schairer and Erich Schöniger at Jena University confirmed this study, and convincingly established for the first time that cigarette smoking is a direct cause of lung cancer.
Research into the harmful effects of tobacco were funded by the Institute for the Struggle Against Tobacco, which was established in 1941 and funded by Hitler’s Reich Chancellery. The Institute was led by Karl Astel, a doctor, high-ranking SS officer and fervent anti-Semite, according to Proctor.
Under Nazi rule, Germany launched the first and most broadly reaching anti-smoking campaign of modern times. Smoking was discouraged in the workplace, and banned in cinemas, and in schools. Policemen and servicemen could not smoke in uniform, and it was not permitted to sell women cigarettes in cafes and other public places. Advertising tobacco products was restricted."

Seems to me, the US' increasing efforts to ban smoking has a Nazi origin.

Wanting a healthy population doesn't make you a Nazi, but it will feel that way if you are the one who doesn't like to eat his veggies. They also liked dogs and children, but I'm assuming you're okay with those eh?

Hitler and the Nazis were as wrong about cigarettes and lung cancer as they were about genocide of the Jews. No freaking way smoking "causes" lung cancer. You are either born with the cancer DNA or you are NOT. There are histories of people, ages 80 and up who smoked their entire lives and DID NOT DIE of lung cancer. Yet, there are people who NEVER smoked at all and died of lung cancer, some at very early ages.

Nothing but bullshit.

Know who first popularized anti-smoking?

The Nazis Forgotten Anti-Smoking Campaign The Atlantic

"In 1939, German scientist Franz Müller presented the first epidemiological study linking tobacco use and cancer. In 1943, a paper prepared by German scientists Eberhard Schairer and Erich Schöniger at Jena University confirmed this study, and convincingly established for the first time that cigarette smoking is a direct cause of lung cancer.
Research into the harmful effects of tobacco were funded by the Institute for the Struggle Against Tobacco, which was established in 1941 and funded by Hitler’s Reich Chancellery. The Institute was led by Karl Astel, a doctor, high-ranking SS officer and fervent anti-Semite, according to Proctor.
Under Nazi rule, Germany launched the first and most broadly reaching anti-smoking campaign of modern times. Smoking was discouraged in the workplace, and banned in cinemas, and in schools. Policemen and servicemen could not smoke in uniform, and it was not permitted to sell women cigarettes in cafes and other public places. Advertising tobacco products was restricted."

Seems to me, the US' increasing efforts to ban smoking has a Nazi origin.

Actually according to a federal judge it's based in junk science. The UN later proved that point in the 90's and suddenly pulled the report and replaced it with more junk science. With the left it's never really about health or safety, it's all about control over people and private property.

Nothing wrong with smoking, it's your life. I grew up in a house and car full of "secondhand smoke" and it never effected me. That's all bullshit. If I didn't want to be around a smoker, I walked around him/her, I didn't piss and moan about their smoke and force them to move.

People and their reasons for bitching have gone far too out of hand these days.

Hitler and the Nazis were as wrong about cigarettes and lung cancer as they were about genocide of the Jews. No freaking way smoking "causes" lung cancer. You are either born with the cancer DNA or you are NOT. There are histories of people, ages 80 and up who smoked their entire lives and DID NOT DIE of lung cancer. Yet, there are people who NEVER smoked at all and died of lung cancer, some at very early ages.

Nothing but bullshit.

That's exactly right. My grandma is 92 and smoked for over 60 years. She's perfectly healthy for a 92 year old woman. Every Summer I have to make sure her yard stays mowed and trimmed, otherwise she'll be out there in the heat of the day doing it herself.

Anti-smoking is not based on any of the surgeon general's reports' data. Cigar and pipe smokers outlive non-smokers on average for example but none of the projected health benefits of the anti-smoking campaign have been reached. The multiple SG reports are a record of refutation of Johnson's politics.

Anti-smoking is not based on any of the surgeon general's reports' data. Cigar and pipe smokers outlive non-smokers on average for example but none of the projected health benefits of the anti-smoking campaign have been reached. The multiple SG reports are a record of refutation of Johnson's politics.
In other words...more liberal bullshit.

Wanting a healthy population doesn't make you a Nazi, but it will feel that way if you are the one who doesn't like to eat his veggies. They also liked dogs and children, but I'm assuming you're okay with those eh?

I totally agree with you. It is a total coincidence that anti smoking initiatives aim to remove the ability to smoke anywhere on the planet. Just because courts and legislatures are starting to find ways to prevent someone from smoking in the privacy of there own home doesn't mean that that is totalitarianism. Most governments are happy to enforce laws when needed and don't care if they are broken when it is inconsequential such as running a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Banning smoking is not the same thing. I mean just because lighting up in your home is about to become a federal case doesn't mean it is totalitarianism. Total control means complete obedience to those who make the laws because we can't have people breaking the laws at any time anywhere because that would upset the people in charge. No coincidence at all...

I totally agree with you. It is a total coincidence that anti smoking initiatives aim to remove the ability to smoke anywhere on the planet. Just because courts and legislatures are starting to find ways to prevent someone from smoking in the privacy of there own home doesn't mean that that is totalitarianism. Most governments are happy to enforce laws when needed and don't care if they are broken when it is inconsequential such as running a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Banning smoking is not the same thing. I mean just because lighting up in your home is about to become a federal case doesn't mean it is totalitarianism. Total control means complete obedience to those who make the laws because we can't have people breaking the laws at any time anywhere because that would upset the people in charge. No coincidence at all...
Anti-Smoking is as American as apple pie. See here: The Progressive Era s Health Reform Movement A Historical Dictionary - Ruth C. Engs - Google Books

Forum List

Back