The other woman.

RWNJ

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2015
A little while ago I started seeing another woman. Actually, it was my wife’s idea.

“You know you love her,” she told me one day, completely out of the blue. “Life’s short, you should give her more of your time.”

“But I love you, dear,” I replied.

“I know, but you love her too!” she said.

dc7f944f-1b6f-4219-a1b7-a6e57b464432.jpg

The other woman whom my wife wanted me to see was my mother. She had been a widow for a few years now, and because of work and my kids, I didn’t get to see her very often. I called my mother that night and asked her to join me for a movie and some dinner.

“Did something happen? Is anything wrong?” she asked.
May also interest you:

You see, my mother belongs to the generation that thinks that any phone call after 7 pm can only mean bad news…

“I just wanted to invite you for dinner and a movie, just the two of us. What do you think?”

After a few second, my mother simply said: “I’d like that…”

I drove over the next evening after work to pick her up. It was a Friday night, and I had a feeling I hadn’t had in a long time – the kind of nervousness you get before a first date.
78b910aa-5621-42e3-9c60-1bb9de8a257e.jpg

When I got there, I saw that my mother was also excited and nervous. She was waiting outside, wearing her beautiful old coat, her hair all done up and had the dress she wore for her and dad’s last anniversary. Her face was lit up with a bright smile.

“I told my girlfriends I’m going on a date with my son tonight and they were very excited for me!” She told me when she got in the car.

The restaurant we went to was not the fanciest, but the staff were incredibly friendly. My mother held my arm and looked like the first lady! We sat down, and she asked me to read her the menu (“My eyes are not what they used to be” she said). Halfway through, I looked up and saw she was staring at me with a nostalgic smile on her face.

- Advertisement -

“When you were a child, I was the one who read you the menu.”

“Then allow me to return the favor, mom”, I said.

We had a lovely conversation, not about anything in particular, just sharing what’s going on in our lives and eventually we spoke so much that the conversation just trailed off…

“I’ll go out with you again, but only if you let me pay next time!” my mother said.
761f8b51-8f91-486e-a63c-e6fcee9af53b.jpg

When I dropped her off at her house, I felt genuinely sorry to see her leave. I hugged and kissed her and told her how much I loved her. When I came home later that night, my wife asked how the date went.

“It was wonderful, thank you for suggesting it!” I looked at my wife and added “Much better than I could ever have imagined”.

A few days later, my dear mother passed away from a heart-attack. It was very quick and there was nothing anyone could do. A short time afterwards, I got a letter from the restaurant we went to that last time.

The letter read:

I’m quite sure that I won’t be able to make it to our next date, so you and your wife can enjoy each other’s company like I did with you. I paid for your next meal here in full and I want you to know just how much that night meant to me!
I love you,
Mother

<SNIP>

This is not my story. Someone else wrote it, but I had a similar experience. It had been over twenty years since I saw my mother. So, one day, after a big win in Las Vegas, I decided to visit my reletives. My mother was the first stop. When I saw her, I almost didn't recognize her, she was so old. There were tears in her eyes, as she walked over and hugged me. I enjoyed my visit, and I'm sure she did too. About a year later she died, and I couldn't help thinking how glad I was that I took the time to visit her.

If you haven't seen a loved one in a while, especially your mom or dad, make the time to do so. You don't know how long they'll be around.

Last edited:
You give birth to them, raise them the best you can, teach them morals and to be decent human beings, sacrifice for them...and then they leave the proverbial nest and forget you...or worse...toss you in an old folks home because they don't have time to change your diapers or make sure you are fed and clothes and comfortable in your old age because they have their own kids to raise..only to be treated the same way once they can no longer function.

Cat's in the Cradle
Harry Chapin
My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say, I'm gonna be like you, dad
You know I'm gonna be like you
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then
My son turned ten just the other day
He said, thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw, I said, not today
I got a lot to do, he said, that's okay
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
Said, I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
My brother was in the hospital for minor surgery. He called and asked me to bring him something from his home....I was so mad at him for not going to the doctor in the first place and ending up being admitted that I almost didn't go....but I did. Brought him his stuff and stayed a little over an hour. Left at about 5:30 p.m. and by 9:30 p.m. he was dead.

I'm so glad I went.

Don't be like young me and ignore family because of a few bad actors, and because it is easier to party it up if you are successful enough at a young age. There is time I could have spent with great people that I will never get back. Life is fleeting never put off spending time with great people.

My Mom used to say, "I'd rather have the flowers before I die" and I bought her flowers, dinners and such but not even close to enough as it turned out.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back